cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change Phone Number

mwei1688
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I could find the area name for Mississauga when ask to select a local calling area. What is the local call area for the city of Mississauga which is one of the large city in Ontario?

12 REPLIES 12

@softech wrote:

@BlueB  pretty much just that 3 in the area, maybe Hamilton?St. Catharines-Thorold  ?

I would advice against these. All numbers for these cities would be a long distance call for anyone making a call from Mississauga (regardless of whether or not the caller is charged for the long distance). Now, for the Public Mobile customer (OP), it wouldn't even matter which city the number is assigned to.

BlueB
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@softech 

Good thoughts, and depends on where @mwei1688 calls are going to/from.  I'm a bit cautious about Hamilton and St. Catharines because that qualifies as "Long Distance" depending on the phone service provided.

@mwei1688 

Click on the phone icon at the website to see the area code and prefixes for each telephone exchange.

https://www.npanxxsource.com/area-code-lookup.html

Screenshot_20211111-134910.png

@BlueB  pretty much just that 3 in the area, maybe Hamilton?St. Catharines-Thorold  ?

BlueB

@softech 

...so, back to the OP, any other suggestions other than ON-TORONTO, or surrounding BRAMPTON, MILTON, OAKVILLE?  🙂

@BlueB wrote:

@softech 

You're correct, but in terms of the "Change Number" option, the communities of Clarkson/Cooksville/etc aren't listed as options.

@BlueB 

It is because Telus does not have a rate centres in those communities

https://cnac.ca/data/COCodeStatus_NPA905.htm

BlueB

@softech 

You're correct, but in terms of the "Change Number" option, the communities of Clarkson/Cooksville/etc aren't listed as options.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@mwei1688   this is not a PM/Telus issue, this is something to do with "Rate Centre", some telecom boundary setup:

Many of the enlarged cities are split between multiple rate centres,  ...

For example, Mississauga , the largest city in the NPA, and the sixth-largest city in Canada, is split between five rate centres even though it has been a single municipality since 1974

ref:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Area_codes_905,_289,_and_365#Rate_centres_and_central_office_codes

Mississauga is in fact broken into these "rate centres" (city on the pull down list when you try to change number):

1. Clarkson:
  2. Cooksville: 
  3. Malton: 
  4. Port Credit:
  5. Streetsville: 

BlueB

@mwei1688 

To narrow in on what @computergeek541 mentioned, your closest bets are ON-TORONTO (since Mississauga is part of the Greater Toronto Area), or ON-BRAMPTON, ON-MILTON, or ON-OAKVILLE.

Quick reference, after logging into Self Serve, the link appears to be here:

https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/Overview/ChangeNumber/

In case you don't like the numbers you see, you'll notice that changing to "another city" and then back to the target city will give you additional numbers to choose from.  🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mwei1688 

you can try to put it another city and see which area code is will coming,

How Changing Your Number 

You can change your phone number up to 4 times every 30 days after you’ve activated. To change  go to your Self Serve Account here link, and:

• Select the “Plans and Add ons” tab
  • Click on “Change Phone Number”
  • Then, you can choose to select a new phone number 

@mwei1688 wrote:

I could not find the area name for Mississauga when ask to select a local calling area. What is the local call area for the city of Mississauga which is one of the large city in Ontario?

Look for Cooksville, Streetsville, etc. as I don't believe I've ever seen any listing labelled as Mississauga. Mississauga will use parts of the 905, 289, and 365 area codes.  If there are no Mississauga numbers, I would consider Brampton, Oakville, or Toronto (416, 647, 437) phone numbers.

mwei1688
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I could not find the area name for Mississauga when ask to select a local calling area. What is the local call area for the city of Mississauga which is one of the large city in Ontario?

Need Help? Let's chat.