cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cellular Network Disconnects when Wi-Fi on

PixiePenny
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
Why does Public Mobile's cellular network show as being disconnected when wi-fi is on?

My MMS messages are very slow to transmit.  Because Public Mobile's network is disconnected when using Wi-Fi and the network needs to be connected in order to use MMS.  So, I believe when using wi-fi and network is disconnected PM's network is forced to connect when I send a MMS msg and this takes time hence the delay in MMS msg being sent.

Network On 
Type: LTE
Wi-Fi Off
Cellular network showing: Connected
Poor signal: -126 dBm 14 asu
Internet speed: 84 kbps

Network On 
Type: LTE 
Wi-Fi On
Preferences: allow use of cellular data when Wi-Fi is connected
Cellular network showing: Disconnected
Poor signal: -119 dBm 21 asu

Internet speed: 39 Mbps

PixiePenny

60 REPLIES 60

It's a bit subjective. My opinion is of RSRP is -120 or lower is a very poor signal, corresponding to cell edge. -110 to -120 is a weak but usable signal. Between -85 and -110 is the most common range encountered. Anything better than -85 is very strong, probably very close to the tower.

@softech 

Just set your data warning and/or limiter for those occasions so you will be warned if you drop off wifi onto mobile data....wait you watch Netflix on your phone?!! At home?

My renewal was last night my data warning went off at 10pm while at SDM....you've used 103mb.... this being a 31 day month and I'm on the wetcoast so it had already renewed so my data tracker is off by 3 hours anyways. Wow....100mb in a whole month. How am I ever going to use the 18.5gb of add on data I have left on that account?!!😁

That reminds me my other renewal is tonight I best burn thru the 49 minutes left on my $10 50/50 plan!😃

@PixiePenny 

If I understand correctly you add the Canada/US option to your plan "permanently" for $20 p/m and You Roam like Home for no additional fees except possible overages to your plan. So you pay an extra $240 per year on top of your monthly plan fee of $110. $1320+$240=$1560 per year

Assuming you have the $50/10.5gb plan w/Canada+US(to)calling/texting etc......×12=$600 $240=12×$20 10 day US roaming add ons ( $20/1gb data or $20/calling/texting/250mb data). The data only option good to use to when forwarding your pm number to fongo. $600+$240=$840 a savings of $720 per year. With the ability to downgrade your pm plan for trips that exceed 20 days. Or if you are on the $25/1gb plan save an additional $300 per year =$540 p/yr save $1020 p/yr

Maybe pm will bring back another promotional version of their $60 Canada/8gb/US/2gb roaming plan w/unlimited calling and texting and 10gb total plan data a total bargain for those smart enough to snap it up and keep it even through out the pandemic.

Yes, with the settings.. i just worry would it use data  when it is not supposed to use.?   Not sure if those fast switching is the same as wifi assist. 

Just worry I am worry Netflix and my phone decide to jump onto data seeing that my wifi sucks.  (yes, I know I can stop that via Netflix settings, I have disable mobile download on Netflix already.  But that would mean I have to be careful with all the apps).

PixiePenny

@Nezgar@softech 

When I 1st started with roam like home it was $10 and when last plan lost a number of deals I had negotiated my total plan was going above $110 including Roam like home at $20 so maybe they've dropped it back down (good thing). I spend between 3 -6 months in the States so PM's plans will break the bank. Ok if you go away for less than 10 days. I'll be getting a seperate plan with Mint Mobile down there

Edit: Whoa! That $10 for 15 days ... crickee.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@softech : What's that now?! You have a life?! 🙂 Yes Nezgar remembered the developer option and now the OP can do what they wanted. Not my choice of course but we all have different needs.

wow.. have been busy today and I miss a whole lot here.

I am getting signal around -110 dBm at home.. so.. i guess nothing to be proud of

@PixiePenny so, do you still need to turn off Wifi in order to receive or send MMS?

Roam Like Home.. it's a pricey feature.  I always just like to use local data card when I travel.  Yes, 2FA wasn't as common and hence without Roaming would not a be a big deal. 

@PixiePenny wrote:

The one thing I'll greatly miss, once the U.S. reopens their border to Canadians, is their 'Roam Like Home' when going to the U.S. ($20/m).

When I was with rogers (2y ago now!) "Roam Like Home" meant a $7/day surcharge.... even if all you did was send 1 measly text! Up to $150/mo... just to access your same Canadian calling & data allotment.

Oh look it's $10/day now! https://www.rogers.com/consumer/wireless/travel

RoamLikeHomeUSA.PNG

PixiePenny

@darlicious 

"...Signal strengths can range from approximately -30 dBm to -110 dBm. The closer that number is to 0, the stronger the cell signal. In general, anything better than -85 decibels is considered a usable signal..."

Hence my signal strength -120 dBm is nothing to write home about. Again though I'm not paying $110+/30 days as I would had if I stayed with RogerDoger upon retiring. The one thing I'll greatly miss, once the U.S. reopens their border to Canadians, is their 'Roam Like Home' when going to the U.S. ($20/m).

PixiePenny

PixiePenny

@Anonymous 

Yup, will watch. Zzz 

With wifi off cell signal drops a tad to -120dBm. With wifi on the cell signal doesn't really change; fluctuates between -110 and -120 dBm

20210826 Cell Signal -120 dBm.png

@Anonymous 

This from @sheytoon on a different thread....

On LTE, that number is the RSRP, and your phone's software will convert that to signal bars. Anything better than -90 dBm is very good. Once you get below -120 dBm things can get dicey. -128 is generally where the phone will go out of service.

Edit:

Now I see my confusion...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious : re: the table: That field in that app is showing the signal in dBm units. So just use the dBm column on that chart. It had been my understanding that the lower number (absolute value 🙂 ) is the stronger signal.

@Anonymous 

Hmmmm....3 bars on the moto and 2 on the A320. 98dBm 42 asu and 100dBm 42 asu.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@PixiePenny : I'd be very aware of all the data use options in the phone so that you're not inadvertently consuming a bunch of data unintentionally. (redundancy much 🙂 )

PixiePenny

@Anonymous  said:

And now what about the Developer options option. It does seem to be a thing. And has nothing to do with this place

With both areas being enabled, Developers options & Wifi Preference re permission for cellular data, it hasn't changed the signal Strength, BUT it looks like text pics MMS easily going through now... I'm going to give a few days to see how it holds up.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious wrote:

@Anonymous 

So that's good right? Making the OP's signal good. @Nezgar 's chart confuses me?

@darlicious : At rest sitting on LTE I have 2 bars on SIM 1 and 1 bar on SIM 2. I saw 2 bars on one image from the OP.

@Anonymous 

So that's good right? Making the OP's signal good. @Nezgar 's chart confuses me?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious : Data on, wifi on, developer option off, in my current position -> -107dBm according to the same app (I've had the app for a while). It seems to be floating down to -102 and around.

@Anonymous 

What's your signal strength?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@PixiePenny : And now what about the Developer options option. It does seem to be a thing. And has nothing to do with this place.

PixiePenny

Downloaded... results with wi-fi enabled and cell data on:

Screenshot_20210826-160227~2.png

@BlueBGee shucks thanks. 😋

@PixiePenny yes that looks like the right app!

PixiePenny

@Nezgar 

'K, both enabled .

Is this the correct 'Network Analyzer' by Jiri?

Screenshot_20210826-152149.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Nezgar : If I found the same option in wifi settings then it didn't show the indicator. Developer options on does.

@PixiePenny 

Unless I misunderstood @sheytoon  in another thread your cell signal is very good.  See mine....

Screenshot_20210826-111014~2.pngScreenshot_20210826-111135_Settings.jpg

BlueB
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Nezgar 

Always love your posts and learning what insight you have!  Strangely enough, I find I get battery life with wifi off and network data on... 🙂

I also see in my Net Analyzer screenshot that my LTE signal is -119dBm. I am in my basement, and currently 1900Mhz LTE. Doesn't seem to be an issue though.

I've noticed using a separate app "Net Monitor" that shows which LTE band you're phone is connected to in realtime, that it will often choose the highest frequency signal available, such as 2600Mhz, even if a stronger one is available. This I imagine is to maximise network efficiency - Keep as many people connected to the cells with the shortest range (due to high frequency), but at the expense of appearing to be less "bars" of signal, and potentially power consumption.

I've found keeping mobile data off minimizes the battery drain, probably due to less need to transmit at high power levels in this state.

Interestingly, according to the table from this site, all the way to -111dBm is considered "Fair" for LTE:

USAT-Infographic-LTE-Signal-Strength

@Anonymous 

Check the edit to my previous post. there are actually two independent settings:

1. "Allow use of cellular data when Wi-Fi is connected" under Wi-Fi preferences
  2.  "Mobile data always active" under Developer Options

Monitor the status with the "Net Analyzer" app with BOTH of these options enabled.

PixiePenny

@Anonymous 

Cell data on all along. In  recent pic I had turned of wifi so Cell becomes dominant and shows "Cellular Network State' as Connected. When wifi turned on it becomes the dominant and network stateshows as Disconnected when it's actually on... kinda standby in case call comes in. Regardless still poor signal -106 dBm

@PixiePenny wrote:

Can be found under Wi-Fi preferences

Ahh cool, I forgot that setting is available there, too -- thanks for the tip!

Edit - Actually, that setting is different -- Enabling "Allow use of celluar data when Wi-Fi is connected", still leaves the other setting "Mobile data always active" in developer options DISABLED.. so they are separate independent settings.

One app I use to monitor the mobile data connection status is called "Net Analyzer" -- Maybe compare what this app says for you as well. For me, changing the Here is a screenshot from my phone while connected to WiFi:

Screenshot_20210826-125700.png

Need Help? Let's chat.