cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot switch plan b/c "new activation only" - leaving Public Mobile

Tritanix
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

I wonder if a majority of support request on this forum is question about "I can't switch plan, because it is only for new activation".

I wonder how some customer could get the plan switched by contacting CS_Agent in private message. When I tried, the answer by all CS_Agent is unequivocally "it is impossible, there is no workaround, even the manager cannot override this restriction".

Then I propose to have the CS_Agent to cancel my plan, then re-sign up with new plan, and I am OK to loose all my bonus points. Still impossible. The only way is I must cancel my account myself and, on top of that, I will lose my phone number.

I understand the rationale of "new activation" to attract new customers. Possibly, also to entice existing customers to "change up",  ie. the possible path is to go for a more expensive plan. But did the marketing folks think about the frustration of existing customers?

Seriously, would allowing existing customers to switch plan cause any significant financial loss to Public Mobile? Maybe a few will take advantage, but I suppose the vast majority will never exhaust the bandwidth of their plan. I was happy with my $25 1G plan. But was unable to switch to the $29 plan Black Friday. The only possible path was $34 50G at 5G. Which I had switched, even though I use about 2% of the capacity of the plan. Just to avoid the hassle of cancelling and maybe coming back. Then now the same $34 plan also cover CAN + US but not switchable, b/c of that terrible "new activation only".

Well, I have enough of begging for switching plan. A side effect of the "new activation only" is the encouragement for existing customers to leave. And I am going to do exactly that. Instead of keeping two happy customers, Public Mobile is going to loose them instead.

I have nothing against PM. It is just the inflexible policy from PM that forces me to leave.

EDIT: 8 hours later

CS_Agent has informed me that the "new activation only" has been lift on the $34 US-CAN 50GB data. Any one can switch now. Problem solved, specifically for my case. However, the general problem of "new activation only" still remains. ie. if I decided to switch to a $29 plan, it would be still impossible. But for now I remain PM customer.

20 REPLIES 20

Vanleggett
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

CS_Agent it would really be amazing to have this flexibility for all plans. I know Koodo has done this and it’s a very enticing incentive.  

PMclient16

Sadly it seems to be the norm across all carriers. Try to negotiate before leaving and they aren’t able to accommodate but once moved to a new carrier then they call with a better offer to win you back. 

New PM client and enjoying the low cost plan and site so far! 

Tritanix

@Frank_M wrote:

The only unfortunate thing about this for public is you may find a better deal as a new customer somewhere else as well.

A better name for "new activation only" would be "please take my customer". What is really unfortunate, is that the marketing folks seems not to see the reality this way. They prefer to see the cup as half-filled rather than half-empty.

Frank_M
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Just port out to another pre paid service like PC Mobile, that will allow you to keep your number.

Then port back in after a month as a new client allowing you to claim any of the New Client deals

This way you can go back and forth following the best deals until you find one you are happy with.

The only unfortunate thing about this for public is you may find a better deal as a new customer somewhere else as well.

ninjinja

I'm glad that loyal are treated worse than new customers, makes me feel great. 👍 It was this kind of disrespect that caused me to leave Virgin Mobile after many years.

DeelightfulDee2
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Oh all of you lucky customers able to access your accounts at will and schedule or perform immediate plan changes! I cannot still...😔

@Tritanix 

I can tell you agents can change your plan to any plan currently on offer. They cannot however schedule a plan change on next renewal for you. Immediate plan changes only. If you are unhappy with an agent's response ask for your issue to be escalated to a supervisor or better yet a manager.

Not all issues can be fixed...10 months and still waiting and begging.

Tritanix

@KCL10 wrote:

You can port your number to another carrier then sign up with PM again. This way you can keep your number without losing it. 

Then this is exactly equivalent to removing the "new activation only". The silly gymnastic of forcing the customer to switch to another provider and maybe coming back is dangerously naive. Because it is the same customer who comes back. With the difference that this customer now will not be happy the way he/she was treated.

KCL10

You can port your number to another carrier then sign up with PM again. This way you can keep your number without losing it. 

JDub1

But the freedom coverage map isn't quite as good.  I switched one of my phone accounts to freedom to take advantage of this deal but they required me to change my phone number because I was in their nationwide coverage area not their freedom mobile coverage area.  They also wanted to me to confirm that I would be in the freedom coverage a few times a month.  Changing phone numbers is obviously a huge hassle for most of us. No issues like that with Public.

https://www.freedommobile.ca/en-CA/network-coverage

@Tritanix 

the $34 / 50 GB's data is now available for new and existing customers. If you only use 2 or 3 GB's per month...maybe PM isn't the best fit for you. Shop around and chose the best plan that fits your needs. Keep us posted on where you land up.

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire

OMG thank you!! Finally some good news! Just switched online to the $34 50GB plan

Tritanix

Answer to all:

• I am NOT interested in more expensive plan like the "75GB $40 CAN/US plan", simply b/c it is possible to switch. I use 2G data max per month. I make less than 5 phone calls per month. 99% of the phone calls I receive are spam. In fact, I can live OK without any plan. The only reason I pay for a plan is because I use Google map sometimes when I am outside. With this usage pattern, $34/month is already a total luxury.
  • I wonder why some customers have had the luck of dealing with a competent or understanding CS_Agent who could do the impossible. My experience is quite miserable. All failed with at least 4 different agents. 2 in Dec 2023. And another 2 this week. They clearly told me there is no technical ability to overcome the "new activation only" restriction.
  • Cancel and come back? Cancel sure, I have exhausted all diplomatic measures. I came to the conclusion that Public Mobile doesn't need me as a customer (we have 3 accounts). The conversation with CS_Agent seems to encourage me to leave. Come back? maybe but why? If the new provider works OK, I will stay. I am a low tech, low usage kind of customer. Even a phone company for cavemen would probably satisfy my needs. Unless of course, the new provider is catastrophic, I may consider coming back. But in the meantime, dear Public Mobile bosses: you won't have my money anymore!

Sansan
Mayor / Maire

@Tritanix you might want to revisit the public mobile page. Things have changed and "no restrictions" , as I stated earlier, its just a matter of timing. 

Pick your new plan, enjoy it, its all yours for the taking. 

Unclesylee

Actually my experience was the exact opposite, i was on a $34/m 40G Canada only plan, i asked CS_Agent today ('Alex') in the messaging system to switch my plan to the new $34 50G USA/CAN plan, they agreed to it immediately!  In my case I'm actually delighted and surprised they agreed to this, as i was prepared to switch my plan to Freedom to get the same $34 50G can/usa plan.  I am now a huge fan of this company because of the flexibility they've shown, and NO i'm not a Bot lol!

Boru

Fully agree with you. Freedom has the same plan- https://www.freedommobile.ca/en-CA.

Sansan
Mayor / Maire

I understand exactly what you mean. I was in the same boat a few weeks ago. I was turned down flat. But where else to go. Eventually the other guys does the same thing too.

So here I still am. Not going anywhere anytime soon.

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

That is a way of many companies... They want to attract NEW customers as existing are already here so why bother.

You can always ask agent to switch your plan to one you like. Some people have successfully managed to switch to 'new customers only' plan (as per comments in this forum. So try, you will lose nothing!

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire

CS is not helpful and this policy is very annoying. But if you don't mind cancelling and signing up again, it's actually not too hard to keep your phone number.

Just port your number to another provider, and then port it back as a new customer. The act of porting closes your account on the previous provider.

Please note PM won't refund you for any unused service that you've already paid for. They only way to get a refund is from postpaid providers like Koodo, Virgin, Fido, Telus, Bell, Rogers.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Tritanix  existing customers can still get the 75GB  $40 CAN/US plan . Also note it’s been my observation that over the last 13 months every new activation plan I saw has become available to existing customers with in 2-3 months after its first introduced . So I wouldn’t throw in the towel just yet .

Need Help? Let's chat.