cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot receive international text

Eve7
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello,my subscription includes unlimited international text,but I am unable to receive it. I am currently in China and need to receive several confirmation code. Please help me to receive international message. Thank you

7 REPLIES 7

@BKNS27 

Whatsapp, Telegram, iMessage, Facebook app, etc are not "text", they are just OTT (Over the Top) service, which are delivered over existing Internet services.

The technical differences is that OTT needs Mobile data or internet, and both parties need compatible app to "talk" (generally both parties need the exact same app).  They "find" each other via email address or username as the account id or some uses the phone number as the id

"Texting" (SMS) are simply messaging (limited to alphanumeric characters)  that needs only the telecom network and it is not app specific.  Both parties just need a phone and any messaging app will do.   Phone number is the only "id" it uses.  However, since it uses the telecom network, it runs in to roaming issues or it is affected by the lost of network coverage or outage

@computergeek541 

I thought it was instant messaging but it is encrypted.

@BKNS27 wrote:

@Eve7 

You can get free texting and calling internationally if you use WhatsApp on wifi if both parties are using the app.

That's true that both parties could use WhatsApp on Wi-Fi. However, that isn't actually text messaging.

PhoneHome8932
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

One thing you could try, if you have an Android phone is turn on RCS chat in Messages app. If you connect to WIFI the code may come through if the other party uses RCS. It worked with my bank.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Eve7 

You can get free texting and calling internationally if you use WhatsApp on wifi if both parties are using the app.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Eve7 

your PM plan does provide unlimited international texting....while the user is in Canada. If you're in China, you'll have no PM service until you get home.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Eve7 

to get service overseas, the mobile provider needs to have roaming service.  However, PM has no service other than US, so, it is normal that you don't get text in China

If you are hoping to get 2FA text from banks or so, you need to contact them for other means for 2FA 

if you are hoping to get text from friends, download and install VoIP app TextNow.  You will get another phone number and friends can text you using that, you will receive that on the app

Need Help? Let's chat.