cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot port my Public mobile number to new carrier (Freedom)

nabaghaffar
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I recently switched my carrier from public to freedom and I have been trying to port my number. The first day I got my freedom SIM I activated it and talked to an agent to port my number. I received the text to port the number and said yes but the number didn't transfer. I called freedom again and repeated the process. Still no luck. I called freedom once again and they said that there was an error and my number was not ported. Apparently since I made multiple porting requests that caused a problem on public mobile's end and I'll need to get someone from public mobile to delete the requests. Can anyone here confirm this or help me? Much appreciated Thank you. 

11 REPLIES 11

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@softech 

The parent company is often the selection in these cases. Rogers in particular purchased many of the MVNO's to assert market dominance as a result they are often used as a catch all for all of the MVNOs they own.....ie. Phonebox, Cityphone, Zoomer, PetroCan mobility, Speakout etc.....

@mech9t5 

Thank you for the update. Freedom should already know who to select when porting a phone number from Public Mobile.....as telus owns koodo and pm that's not a large list to remember.

in order to port from PM to freedom you need to tell freedom rep to select TELUS.  

@mech9t5 
you should ask Freedom to change their system.  While PM is owned by Telus, they should be considered as different company  🙂

mech9t5
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Guys, I just posted in an older thread.

my issue was “number not found”.  

in order to port from PM to freedom you need to tell freedom rep to select TELUS.  

@esjliv wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@nabaghaffar 

All of this is supposed to handled entirely by Freedom Mobile, including all troubleshooting and communications with Public Mobile to get the porting done. Freedom really should not be sending you back to Public for somethong that Freedom is supposed to and can get fixed. That's actually really bad service that Freedom is providing you.

Agreed @computergeek541 . 

What does Freedom have the ability to determine, I wonder? Was the incorrect public mobile account provided? If in fact, the pm account was in suspended status, would freedom see that somewhere on their end; or would the port just fail?

Does public mobile put some kind of fraud alert lock when multiple requests are made on a phone number?

RE OP's comment:  "made multiple porting requests that caused a problem on public mobile's end "

When a number port fails, an exact reason is given. Also, Freedom doesn't need Public to cancel the previous requests. Freedom can (and is supposed to) do all of that, or at the very least is supposed to have all of those arrangements made.  I do realize that Freedom wouldn't be able to unsuspend/reactivate the Public Mobile service if the plan is suspended or if the account is clsoed, but for eveyrthing else, number porting is set up in a way that the customer isn't supposed to ever contat the old carrier (with the exception of the porting confirmation text message).

@computergeek541 wrote:

@nabaghaffar 

All of this is supposed to handled entirely by Freedom Mobile, including all troubleshooting and communications with Public Mobile to get the porting done. Freedom really should not be sending you back to Public for somethong that Freedom is supposed to and can get fixed. That's actually really bad service that Freedom is providing you.

Agreed @computergeek541 . 

What does Freedom have the ability to determine, I wonder? Was the incorrect public mobile account provided? If in fact, the pm account was in suspended status, would freedom see that somewhere on their end; or would the port just fail?

Does public mobile put some kind of fraud alert lock when multiple requests are made on a phone number?

RE OP's comment:  "made multiple porting requests that caused a problem on public mobile's end "

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@nabaghaffar 

I would take it as a sign like @softech said. The customer service you have recieved is telling as well. Are you also on the $$ rewards program? Perhaps you should consider scheduling a change plan on next renewal to the $15 plan. Allow the plan to change and renew and shortly after midnight eastern but before 2am eastern once your rewards are applied either suspend your account via lost/stolen or remove autopay so your plan suspends for non payment.

You will have 90 days to test out your freedom service. If it lives up to your expectations reactivate your pm accoungt and port your number over to freedom. If it doesn't just reactivate and cancel your freedom account. Either way don't wait til day 90 rather reactivate around day 85. If you have a device subsidy you have 15 days to change your mind and return your device and cancel at no cost to you. (30 days if you identify as a disabled person.)

$15 is a small price to pay vs living with regret over lost rewards and a painful porting pricess.

@esjliv wrote:

@nabaghaffar - is your public mobile account still Active? It needs to be if you are porting out to freedom.

If your public mobile account is not active, you will need to make a payment to reactivate the account. Best to change the plan to the $15 one first, then pay the less money need to activate it.

Then you can port out.

This is all true, but the explanation that Freedom Mobile gave is pretty bad.  Freedom saying that Public Mobile needs to delete the request and that it was the customer who had to contact Public Mobile to do all of this was simply nonsense.

JL9
Mayor / Maire

Many ppl close it before porting and as @esjliv says not only do you need your old PM sim in the phone but the account has to be in good standing to complete a port and get the text to answer YES to, if it is closed go the 15 route as suggested.

@nabaghaffar 

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@nabaghaffar - is your public mobile account still Active? It needs to be if you are porting out to freedom.

If your public mobile account is not active, you will need to make a payment to reactivate the account. Best to change the plan to the $15 one first, then pay the less money need to activate it.

Then you can port out.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@nabaghaffar you might want to stay with PM as Freedom clearly failed you.  Maybe it's fate that you shouldn't leave 🙂

Generally speaking,  you need to work with  Freedom  to re-send the porting request.  But, you can open a ticket with PM and have them to confirm what happened.   

1. If you have access to My account: At https://publicmobile.ca/chatbot.

Start by typing "Submit a ticket", then click "Contact Us", Then click "Other", then click "Click here to submit a ticket ↗" 

2. If you don't have access to My Account or have trouble with Chatbot: Private message CS Agent at: 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

**Monitor your Community inbox (envelope icon on the top right) after the ticket is opened.  CS Agent will reply you there

Need Help? Let's chat.