cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canceling service with old service provider

Zyl
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi there, 

I have a friend who wants to sign up with Public Mobile She is currently using Telus and wants to port her existing cell no. from Telus to Public Mobile.  I read on the help file here that her exiting cell. no. will be automatically deactivated from Telus as soon as it's ported over.  My question is:  Does she still have to contact Telus to formally close her account and tell them to stop charging her or would her account at Telus be automatically closed and the charges be stopped once the number is ported over?  I do not want her to be charged double from Public Mobile and Telus, her soon-to-be old service provider once her SIM with Public Mobile is activated and her number ported over. 

Thanks  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Zyl wrote:

Hi there, 

I have a friend who wants to sign up with Public Mobile She is currently using Telus and wants to port her existing cell no. from Telus to Public Mobile.  I read on the help file here that her exiting cell. no. will be automatically deactivated from Telus as soon as it's ported over.  My question is:  Does she still have to contact Telus to formally close her account and tell them to stop charging her or would her account at Telus be automatically closed and the charges be stopped once the number is ported over?  I do not want her to be charged double from Public Mobile and Telus, her soon-to-be old service provider once her SIM with Public Mobile is activated and her number ported over. 

Thanks  

@Zyl  - porting to Public Mobile from Telus will close the Telus account automatically. 

Do not close the Telus account or your port may not complete.

Unless, you have some kind of family plan with Telus. And if the number you are wanting to port is the master number...this may warrant a call to Telus first.

Public Mobile is a part of the Telus family. So, porting should go smoothly during the activation process.

https://publicmobile.ca/en/bc/portal/activation

View solution in original post

31 REPLIES 31

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@Zyl No, she wont have to contact Telus to notify them. Final bill will be processed as soon as porting is done. However, it doesn't hurt to call in to make sure line is cancelled properly. 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
I am not a mod. Do not send me private message with your personal info.
If you need to contact PM Customer Support Agent, create a Ticket.

New Here? - Check out Knowledge Base Articles to learn more about Public Mobile.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Zyl wrote:

Hi there, 

Thanks  

@Zyl  - porting to Public Mobile from Telus will close the Telus account automatically. 

Do not close the Telus account or your port may not complete.

Unless, you have some kind of family plan with Telus. And if the number you are wanting to port is the master number...this may warrant a call to Telus first.

Public Mobile is a part of the Telus family. So, porting should go smoothly during the activation process.

https://publicmobile.ca/en/bc/portal/activation

View solution in original post

CountyDownIeUk

No, but is a good idea to make sure Account is still active during the port process and suggest to remove payment set up before as well. Leave the Telus sim in until asked to confirm port out. 

Zyl

Thanks for all your help.  My friend has now received the SMS text from Telus asking her to confirm the number-porting request and she has replied "Yes" to the SMS.  How does she know that the number has been ported over successfully for her to do the SIM card changeover?  Does she need to wait until she receives some kind of confirmation to confirm the number has been ported successfully before changing the SIM card or can she change the SIM card right away? 

Thanks 

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Zyl wrote:

Thanks for all your help.  My friend has now received the SMS text from Telus asking her to confirm the number-porting request and she has replied "Yes" to the SMS.  How does she know that the number has been ported over successfully for her to do the SIM card changeover?  Does she need to wait until she receives some kind of confirmation to confirm the number has been ported successfully before changing the SIM card or can she change the SIM card right away? 

Thanks 

@Zyl  Incoming calls are usually the last to port over.

Cell phone numbers can take up to 2-3 hours to complete.

When porting over a number, with the PM SIM card in the phone I would suggest a Reset of the Network Settings.

Then see if in/out calling and texts work; as well as data.

Leave it overnight if incoming calls are not yet working, and make sure all services are working tomorrow.

@Zyl : I remember a few days ago someone reporting that they got a text on their old SIM saying they could go ahead and put the new SIM in. That's a pretty good sign. 🙂

Zyl

Ok so she should wait 2-3 hours before changing the Telus SIM card to the Public Mobile SIM card?  She is using the same phone.  Is she going to receive some kind of confirmation to confirm the porting is successful? 

Thanks  

CountyDownIeUk

There is nothing stopping you to try to call each other. 

CountyDownIeUk

You "might" get an email from PM. 

Need Help? Let's chat.