cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canada USA calling and texting

Izzyis
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

If I have Canada USA plan and reside in Canada can I whike I  am visiting USA make calls to Canada or use my data in USA  without charges. 

7 REPLIES 7

@Izzyis 

download the Google offline map ahead

You can try to leave the phone with Automatic network selection but it is true sometimes phone might not choose AT&T and T-Mobile on the correct time and you need to manually switch it.  But make sure not to use 5G for more stable connection, stay with 4G/LTE

Izzyis

I did have roaming data on.  It was frustrating trying to use my maps in car. Most of the time it would say I needed internet. I could phone but not message or do maps    Why. Has anyone had that problem when in USA. 

@Izzyis 

you should turn on Roaming Data in the phones settings..if its not turned on, you won't be able to use data in US. (I just leave that enabled in my phone all the time)

Izzyis

Thank you. 

@Izzyis   Yes it should work the same in Canada and the US.  You may get a text about roaming add-on when you cross the border but you can ignore it, it's really just to let you know you are roaming.  It may vary which is better of AT&T and T-Mobile depending where you are so you can try both, but if you don't have a VoLTE phone then it has to be T-Mobile.  AT&T doesn't always work with 5G hence the recommendation to at least start off with 4G/LTE.  Since Public Mobile is prepaid you get what you paid for and there are no extra charges, if you run out of data for example then it will just stop working.

Izzyis

So while visiting USA I do not need to buy add ons because my plan is Canada USA ?  So all I need to do is try to connect to t -mobile? All messages and calls from home (Canada) I will receive. ?  

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@Izzyis   Yes there are no extra charges, it works the same in both countries with the caveat that if your phone is not VoLTE capable/enabled then you would have problems making voice calls when in the USA except where there is still 2G on T-Mobile. 

You would need to enable data roaming on the phone and make sure it connects to T-Mobile or AT&T, best to use 4G/LTE and not 5G for best connectivity, and don't let the phone try to connect to Verizon. 

Need Help? Let's chat.