cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canada-US plan won't work in US

MamaBear_6
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi! 👋😃

Ok, so, I switched plans to the Canada-US plan on Sept 26th, used it in Maine the next day, everything worked fine (internet and text, I didn't make/receive any calls). The following week, I have no internet, text or phone call abilities. Nothing was changed on my phone and I always go to the same shopping area, so I'm not sure why it stopped working. Tried again today (because I go there weekly), and it's the same deal. Can't call, can't text and no internet. Public Mobile sent me a text to welcome me to the USA and to let me know I can do a US roaming add-on for $10 🥴. Wouldn't they already know I have a Can-US plan?! Idk.

Anyway, according to the list of VoLTE compatible phones provided on here, I do not have one, but the plan worked 3 weeks ago. Any help figuring this out would be appreciated. If I can't get it working again by renewal, I'll have to switch carriers. 

Thanks in advance! 😀

16 REPLIES 16

@Success126 AT&T works as well, but not AT&T 5G (only 4G). I always recommend setting your Preferred Network to 4G when in the US, but your solution of manually connecting to T-Mobile also works (T-Mobile 5G and 4G both work).

Success126
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am in Vegas today and have the canada plan, didn't work when getting off plane despite showing roaming and lte, no internet connection nor Google map works, scrambled to download offline map while waiting for luggage. I Googled and I am using Android phone, I changed network operator to manual and selected t.mobile, boom it worked perfectly with 5g speed. I think auto was connect at&t and it never was able to connect to internet idk why, try manually select t mobile

I gave some instructions to find the evidence of volte earlier. The volte toggle doesn't necessarily show like you're seeing with other real world proper implementation of volte in the other instructions you've found. This place seems to have implemented a non-standard, proprietary method of volte. Which highly sucks when a phone is perfectly capable of using volte. 
I highly doubt your phone has it enabled but set the networks to the full LTE etc setting and then while on a call go to settings, about phone, status information, sim card status and look at mobile voice network type. If it says UMTS then you don't have volte. It will likely say LTE when not on a call which is why you need to be on a call looking at that screen.

It has been suggested by some folks here that volte would magically appear once connected to either roaming partner but I've never heard of a positive response on that and I also highly doubt it would.

MamaBear_6

Thank u! I'll try that next trip. Google says there's a toggle for volte, but I don't have one. Maybe it only shows when I'm in the states?! Idk, I'll check when I go back in a few days. I don't make calls very often, but I do travel with my kids and like to know I'm able to call for help if I need to. I'll letcha know how it goes. 😃

MamaBear_6

I looked up instructions online and did everything it said, but there's just no option showing for volte. The pics of the panels look like mine, but I don't have a volte toggle. I'll try again when I'm states-side and see if it pops up when I'm switching carriers. I'm (very) slowly but surely figuring this out 🤣 😕

Did you figure out if your phone has been enabled for volte as I asked earlier? (I doubt it is) But still even in that Walmart and connected to T-Mobile it ought to have switched down to 2G GSM. But sometimes you have to switch it manually. And then sometimes you might not be in a 2G coverage area and you'd be completely out of luck.

JRod
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@MamaBear_6 

Since your phone doesn’t have VoLTE support you won’t be able to make calls on AT&T. Since T-Mobile didn’t work immediately for you for calls, try going into your voice and data settings and select 2G GSM while you are connected to T-Mobile. I’d suggest turning off automatic and staying connected to T-Mobile for the duration of your trip if you need calling.

MamaBear_6

Sorry it took so long for a solution, I only just made it back ocross the border a few days ago. Ok, so, update. I manually connected to AT&T and restarted my phone, data and text worked fine (can't call out though) until I hit the meat section in Walmart, then it dropped me. I then had T-mobile come up as an option so I connected to that and all was well again, minus making calls. The next day I ended up going back and it automatically connected to AT&T when I crossed the border, then T-mobile when in Walmart. Not sure why I can't make calls, but at least I can text and use the internet. Thanks so much for walking me through it! 

I would set the network mode to the full LTE etc. Even for use here.
Your phone is probably not enabled for volte. Go to settings, about phone, status information, sim card status and look at mobile voice network type. If you had previously set the phone to LTE as I suggested then you should see LTE here. Now, make a phone call and while on the call, look at that line again and see if it stays on LTE or if it changes to UMTS. If it changes to UMTS then the phone is not enabled for volte. If it stays on LTE then it is using volte. All while on the call.

If not on volte then your only talk option is T-Mobile and 2G GSM as has been explained.

I think JRod has explained the likely scenario. With network operator set to automatic it allows the phone to connect to either roaming partner. But AT&T only works for talk on volte. T-Mobile allows talk on volte AND 2G GSM.

MamaBear_6

I restarted it on the second trip when it wouldn't work, nothing changed. I haven't tried another phone or connected to a USA provider. Tbh, I just found out I could do that about an hour ago 😳. I will try that on my next trip. It's confusing as to why it worked the first time though. Something must've changed between trips, I just don't know what. Thank u for replying. 😀

JRod

@MamaBear_6 

My guess is you might have automatically connected to T-Mobile at one point so your data and calling worked during one of your visits but the rest you might have been automatically connecting to AT&T for the others. 

If you go to your cellular settings, then network selection start by connecting to T-Mobile and then rebooting your phone. It might automatically drop you to 2G for calling so you might not have to change any other settings. If calls don’t work then you can set your calling settings to GSM only but please test with just choosing T-Mobile first as the network you want to connect to on your next visit. 

MamaBear_6

Bare with me, I'm not that tech-savvy. My network mode choices are WCDMA/GSM (auto connect), LTE/WCDMA/GSM (auto connect), WCDMA only and GSM only. It's on WCDMA/GSM (auto) right now.  The network operator is set to automatic, so that's what I want to change and select T-mobile when I head over next? It's Samsung Galaxy Note 10+. I guess it's possible something got changed somehow, but I really don't see how. I don't mess with my settings 'cause I dont know enough about that stuff to be fiddling with it. If it didn't work that one time, I would've assumed it was my settings, but it worked once so it confuses me as to why it stopped after that. Thanks so much for helping, I appreciate it. 

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

Your data issues are likely because you automatically connected to AT&T 5G. It's best to set your Preferred Network to 4G/LTE vs 5G. And if you still have problems, try connecting to T-Mobile manually.

As for phone calls, if you don't have a VoLTE compatible device, your other option is to try and force your phone into 2G when you want to make phone calls. But that is dependent on there being 2G coverage in the area you're in.

If you're planning to spend a lot of time in the US it might be worth getting a phone that is VoLTE compatible. Even if it's just a backup phone you use when you go to the US.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

If you're not enabled for volte then the only talk option is T-Mobile using their old 2G GSM system. See if you can change your phone down manually after manually connecting to T-Mobile. Often it will change down automatically. Text should work there as well. Data not so much. Otherwise set your networks to 4G LTE if it's currently on 5G. Data and text should be fine with either T-Mobile or AT&T. Of course coverage always comes in to play which is out of the control of this place.

What is the make and model of the phone? There are some ways to verify if it has volte enabled.

JRod

@MamaBear_6 

The text you get is just automatically sent to everyone when they connect to US towers. They shouldn’t send it to people with the Can-Us plans but they do anyway.

If you’re device isn’t VoLTE enabled then you’ll have to manually connect to T-Mobile and put your voice and data setting on 2G GSM. Reboot your device when you change these settings. 

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

Can-US plan should provide service in both countries. No need for any add-ons (except if you need more data).

Did you try rebooting your phone (turn it off, wait a bit, turn it on)?
Can you try your SIM in another phone?
Do you connect to one of those 2 USA providers?

If nothing works you will have to contact agent or open a ticket.

Need Help? Let's chat.