cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canada-US plan speeds.

PF3
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am on the new 5G Canada-US plan and am using it in Florida. It is working well, but I am curious why I am only getting 4G here. I am able to get 5G in Canada.

7 REPLIES 7

PF3

Thanks for the response. I will keep it on 4G. As you suggested.

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

If you really want to try 5G in the US, manually connect to T-Mobile. AT&T 5G doesn't work, and it's a real pain if the phone automatically connects to it, as it won't work. I set my phone to 4G preferred for that reason.

But by all means you can set it to 5G and then connect to T-Mobile manually. It would totally be dependent on there actually being a 5G tower where you are though.

It's overrated though. 4G works better IMO, and you'll still get close to your 5G speed anyway. You don't need the 5G network.

PS: Even the 3G and 4G plans can access to 5G network with a capable device.

PF3

Thanks for the response. I appreciate it.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@PF3  Yes this is normal , thou some have claimed getting 5G to work on AT&T in some areas . Many on 5G plan just keep phone set to 4G/LTE as it tends to work better indoors . 5G has harder time penetrating walls works better outside and more of a battery drain and cause the phone to run warmer . And still get good speeds on 4G/LTE 

PF3

That is possible, but I have used it in different locations and all show 4G. This is not a problem, as it still works great, but I was just wondering if this is normal.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@PF3  Yes that should be more clear in the plan description. But note 4G/LTE can still reach 5G speed with phone set to 4G/LTE 

Boki
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Maybe they do not have 5G there? Did you ASK anybody around you do they have 5G?

Need Help? Let's chat.