cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canada-US data plans disappeared; plans keep changing

Skay5
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, I am currently on a 75 GB within Canada and the US Data at 5G Speed plan.

I was hoping to downgrade for a month or two to a ~20 GB plan and then get back on the above plan. But looking at the current plans, there seem to be none which offer data in both the countries, as was the case when I checked the above plan and got onto it a few months back.

So does it mean that if I leave my above mentioned current Canada-US data plan I won't be able to use it again unless it is offered? This strategy seems whimsical and highly inconvenient. Why not always offer at least one data plan that works in both countries?

Would appreciate any advice. Thank you

11 REPLIES 11

@Skay5 

the Canada-US plan is now back .. Limited time to subscribe 

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/plans?network=ALL

Skay5

Ah okay, I was not aware that those plans were more impulse driven per the market. Thank you! I just checked Freedom and they are offering a $34/mo and $29/mo Canada-US plan which is attractive. I'm just tired of playing the porting game though XD  was hoping PM would have some steady plans but I guess not

Skay5

That plan may have been there until recently, but as of today I don't see it. Will keep checking, thank you!

Skay5

Got it, thank you for laying down the potential options! I already ported from Fido to PM, so not sure if I want to go through it again, but it is certainly an option

Skay5

Okay thank you

ezl007

@Skay5  If I am not mistaken, PM's Canada US plans were impulse-responses to other carriers' Canada-US plans.  Freedom is still offering Canada-US plans; maybe the impulse strikes again, PM would offer a US Canada plan or plans again, but I would not bet on it.  

As @Handy1  mentioned, if it is important for you to have US data and roaming, it is best to keep the current plan.  Or downgrade and buy roaming options as needed. Or find another carrier that offers similar plan.

@Skay5  Best thing I can tell you is change to the 60GB $75 90 day plan then .of the plan is still not available when you visit the US next just buy the US roaming add on for $15 15 days when in the US and save $

It's a decision to leave the plan as is wait and see what they have in a few days/weeks. You need to pay the full amount due moving forward, so it's going to cost you more today due to the switch to public points.

Or you can downgrade to a cheaper plan and hope that it's there when you want it.

Or... port out to another carrier that offers what you need.

Off course remember that no matter what you do, there are no credits or pro-rated amounts.

@Skay5, just keep watching the plans there was a $34 I think maybe it was $39 Can/US plan.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Skay5

Thank you for your prompt response! Canada US wide data is important to me, but I don't need it literally year round, only when I visit the States. Hence, I was hoping to downgrade temporarily.

Would you happen to know of any alternative solution to getting Canada-US data at an affordable price?

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Skay5  Yes you would lose that plan if  you downgrade plan . now unless it is offered again when you want to go back to said plan . Best to just keep the plan you have if US roaming and calling is important to you 

Need Help? Let's chat.