cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canada / US Calling

leeannwilliams
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My mom has the $50 plan, which includes unlimited Canada wide/international calling. She’s able to make long distance calls from Canada to the US, but now she is travelling IN the US and cannot make calls to Canada (she’s trying to call me. I do not have international calling) or within the US. Does she have to purchase US minutes? And do I also have to purchase US minutes to accept her calls? 

13 REPLIES 13

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@esjliv 

Exactly why I pointed it out ( seeing as the OP already misunderstood the US calling that is included in the plan) and offered a workaround that uses the US roaming add on that is already on the account.

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin

@darlicious  if OP is purchasing addons through self serve the notices about the 'turning down' services is posted, and has been for some time now:

esjliv_0-1645754989145.png

whether noticed by all, who knows.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@leeannwilliams 

Although @esjliv's advice is good it does not take into account the US decommissioning of the 3G networks of which at&t already has with T-Mobile to follow suit shortly leaving pm customers in the US without the ability to send and recieve voice calls. Your father would be better off downloading while on wifi a voip app like textnow or fongo to make calls using wifi or mobile data. While currently the US roaming talk add on will work when he is able to connect with T-Mobile's 3G network his calling service could be intermittent.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin

Anonymous
Not applicable

@leeannwilliams : i. If she wishes to call in/out or text out using Public Mobile while in the states she will need to buy one of the roaming add-ons. That plan is not international calling. It's Canada and US from Canada. (Edit: ok technically international) You don't need to do anything while you're in Canada.
Q1. "to Canada and the US" means calling Canada and the US from Canada.
Q2. Again, roaming. The 1000 minutes is for calling to the US from Canada. But he does have the data roaming. So if he likes he could use a voip app with that data.

@leeannwilliams wrote:

A little over a week ago I asked this question bellow and got great feedback. 

“My mom has the $50 plan, which includes unlimited Canada wide/international calling. She’s able to make long distance calls from Canada to the US, but now she is travelling IN the US and cannot make calls to Canada (she’s trying to call me. I do not have international calling) or within the US. Does she have to purchase US minutes?

Her plan is for use whilst she is in Canada only.

So she needs to purchase roaming addons for use while in usa.

https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/Overview/plan-and-Add-ons/ChangePlanLandingPage/?PageRedirect=Redi...

And do I also have to purchase US minutes to accept her calls?”

No, you do not need to purchase anything to accept her calls.

But now I have more questions.

Q1)
I just looked at my moms plan again, and see that her plan says “Talk to Canada” (I don’t recall it saying rbis before). Wouldn’t this mean she should be able to make calls to Canada without purchasing a US minutes add-on. Also, why isn’t she able to make calls within the US to hotels? 

Her plan is for use whilst she is in Canada only.

I’m attaching a screenshot of her current active plan below. 

10EC4109-D924-47AB-B22F-5AE7DE156481.jpeg

Q2)

My dads plan does not include international calling, only Canada-wide (he is also travelling in the US). I purchased the 1000 US minutes add-on for him, and he is still unable to call me or make calls within the US. Why is this? 

Roaming addons are needed for use while in USA.

Edit, your dad has the addon listed for DATA only - that is Good. 🙂

Now you need the Roaming Minutes.

• Make sure data roaming is enabled in your phone settings.
  • Restarting your phone should help you connect to the correct network.
  • Go to the cellular or network settings in your phone, and check your APN configuration. If possible, manually search and select either AT&T or T-Mobile's network.

https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/Overview/plan-and-Add-ons/ChangePlanLandingPage/?PageRedirect=Redi...

If the incorrect addon was purchased ask CSA to see if the will credit you the cost of the addon and put those funds back into Available Funds area.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/contact-an-agent

Attached below is a screenshot of his active plan and add-ons. 

87D8B34E-F66F-41CA-B096-25BE7240B426.jpeg

@leeannwilliams  see responses above in red.

Hope that all makes sense.

leeannwilliams
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

A little over a week ago I asked this question bellow and got great feedback. 

“My mom has the $50 plan, which includes unlimited Canada wide/international calling. She’s able to make long distance calls from Canada to the US, but now she is travelling IN the US and cannot make calls to Canada (she’s trying to call me. I do not have international calling) or within the US. Does she have to purchase US minutes? And do I also have to purchase US minutes to accept her calls?”

But now I have more questions.

Q1)
I just looked at my moms plan again, and see that her plan says “Talk to Canada” (I don’t recall it saying rbis before). Wouldn’t this mean she should be able to make calls to Canada without purchasing a US minutes add-on. Also, why isn’t she able to make calls within the US to hotels? 

I’m attaching a screenshot of her current active plan below. 

10EC4109-D924-47AB-B22F-5AE7DE156481.jpeg

Q2)

My dads plan does not include international calling, only Canada-wide (he is also travelling in the US). I purchased the 1000 US minutes add-on for him, and he is still unable to call me or make calls within the US. Why is this? 

Attached below is a screenshot of his active plan and add-ons. 

87D8B34E-F66F-41CA-B096-25BE7240B426.jpeg

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

Just to add clarification on the original post, PM does not offer a plan that has unlimited Canada-wide and international calling.  There is a plan for the Canada/US calling.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Zyl
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@leeannwilliams All the plans from Public Mobile works in Canada only.  If you need to make calls from the US, you would need to purchase the US roaming plan from Public Mobile or just buy a SIM card from any carrier in the USA.  

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@leeannwilliams 

Both your mom and yourself should download a voip such textnow or fongo so that you can call each other while on wifi or using mobile data while travelling outside of Canada. Going forward this is especially important as tomorrow the decommissioning of the 3G network ramps up in the US and over the next few months public mobile customers will completely lose their ability to use their traditional pm voice calling  services (including 911). As it is T-Mobile will be likely be the only provider US roaming customers will be able to connect to starting tomorrow.

Your mother and others are better off purchasing a US roaming data add on and using their voip provider for calling and/or connecting while on wifi using facebook messenger or other chat services but keeping in mind that some more than others use more data. Anything making use of video is best kept to wifi only whereas fongo for example uses approximately 0.5mb/min or 250mb=500min of voice calling. Since data allows for the use of both voip calling and texting apps and pm customers already recieve incoming pm texts without the need of a US roaming text add on US roaming data add ons represent the best "bang for your buck".

When purchasing any add on in your self serve account remember to manually top up your account balance first then select the add on of your choice, confirm and submit your add on purchase.

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

VIP_Tech
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Hi @leeannwilliams 

your mom plan service call from canada to,

out canada you need to purchase Add-ons,

for Purchase an Add-Ons is a 2 step process,
1. you need to load funds $$ to your account,
2. then, go back to Add-ons page and selected Add-ons,
''Confirm my purchase"
and Rebooting device.

How To: Purchasing Add-ons (publicmobile.ca)

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@leeannwilliams   Yes, no plan with PM now includes minutes she can call from US

She will have to buy US Roaming add-ons to accept calls, make calls or to use Mobile data, here are the list or US roaming

Spoiler
Bundle - US Roaming - Talk Text (10-day) - $15.00 (10 Reward points)
Bundle - US Roaming - Talk Text 250 Data (10-day) - $20.00 (15 Reward points)
Data - US Roaming - 1 GB Data (10-day) - $20.00 (15 Reward points)
Data - US Roaming - 250 MB Data (10-day) - $10.00 (5 Reward points)
Data - US Roaming - 500 MB Data (10-day) - $15.00 (10 Reward points)
Text - US Roaming - Unlimited Text (10-day) - $8.00 (5 Reward points)
Talk - US Roaming - Unlimited Talk (10-day) - $8.00 (5 Reward points)

You can also help help to download VoIP app like TextNow, which she can receive and make apps on the app whenever she has Wifi  

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

All free calls/SMS are from Canada Only. When outside Canada your mom has to buy US add-on:

US Roaming for 10 day packages

Unlimited U.S. Talk, Text and 250MB Data Bundle = $20

Unlimited U.S. Talk and Text Bundle = $15

Unlimited U.S. Talk Only = $8

Unlimited U.S. Text Only = $8

U.S. Data Only for 10 day packages

250MB = $10

500MB = $15

1GB = $20

And please remember: US roaming Talk cannot be stacked. Next one has to be purchased after initial expire but you have to wait 24 hours.

When you are in US, try to connect to AT&T or T-mobile. One could be better than the other so, if one doesn't work well, try the other one.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@leeannwilliams  That plan your mom has. All calling has to originate from Canada. As she is in USA she has to log into her account and buy a USA roaming add-on to make calls. There is add-ons for calls, text and data while in USA.  Due note public Mobile does not offer any roaming in any other countries other than USA.

All calls you get while in Canada are free.

Need Help? Let's chat.