cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can’t use internet when on a call

AdrianG
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi everyone!  I have an iPhone 12 that’s had a carrier settings update and has the most recent iOS installed.

My issue is that I’ve noticed that my internet connection goes bye bye when I’m on a call (meaning I can’t check email or search the web or anything).

Can someone direct me to a thread (if this question has been asked before)?  Or can @CS_Agent help me out?  Would like to fix this ASAP.

Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8

@darlicious wrote:

@Twopennybuffalo 

All calls use the 3G network at PM this is why you see your phone switch from LTE to 3G. You can also force your phone to use 3G and you will find you can get data speed up to 20mbps but generally 12mbps depending on network traffic.

In some regions, the upper limit for speed on HSPA+ is about 21Mbps. However, there are many regions that have DC-HSPA available, and for these regiions, the speed can go up to about 42.2Mbps, with speeds of between 30 to 35Mbps possible in real-world use (although not many places will be able to get speeds that good) on the DC-HSPA network.

@Twopennybuffalo 

All calls use the 3G network at PM this is why you see your phone switch from LTE to 3G. You can also force your phone to use 3G and you will find you can get data speed up to 20mbps but generally 12mbps depending on network traffic.

Twopennybuffalo
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

On my 11 pro I have a similar issue.

My connection does not entirely drop but I do go from LTE to 3G . 

make sure on iOS 14 you are not set to LTE only. In network settings. 

your data will be noticeably slower almost a 2g speed when on a call due to no VOLTE support as a prior user pointed out. 

I feel with the amount of money I save from being with my prior carrier this was mild inconvenience was worth it. I assume eventually PM will offer VOLTE.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

... this usually will be  fixed by Enable VoLTE.. but PM does not support that

did you try Network refresh as suggested by @esjliv , did it work?

or Change the voice & data from LTE to 3G and see how it goes?

Moved:

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Moving all messages about community etiquette out of this thread into the Community area, since they have nothing to do with the OP's data + calling issue (which has also already been resolved).

Meow
Mayor / Maire

Were you ever able to do that - to make a call AND use internet at the same time?

@AdrianG 

Might be the settings on the iPhone.

Try the following:

Click Settings

Click Cellular

Make sure Cellular data is turned on

Click Cellular Data option

Click on Voice & Data

Choose either LTE or 3G and see if it works

Turn off VoLTE (not supported by PM)

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@AdrianG wrote:

Hi everyone!  I have an iPhone 12 that’s had a carrier settings update and has the most recent iOS installed.

My issue is that I’ve noticed that my internet connection goes bye bye when I’m on a call (meaning I can’t check email or search the web or anything).

Can someone direct me to a thread (if this question has been asked before)?  Or can @CS_Agent help me out?  Would like to fix this ASAP.

Thanks!

@AdrianG ,

Are these areas that you have had good connection previously ?

Perform a Network reset, follow these steps.

1. From the Home screen, tap Settings > General > Reset.
  2. Tap Reset Network Settings.
  3. Type in the device password if prompted.
  4. Confirm selection.

If necessary after trouble shooting is not working maybe Moderators can help?

To contact the Public Mobile Moderator_Team, there are two methods to reach them:

1 -  Faster - Click the bubble comment circle on the bottom right-hand side of your screen,

or use this link to: Get Help With SIMon the Public Mobile chatbot

OR

2 – Slower - Use this link to:

Private Message to Public Mobile Moderators (PM Customer Service Representatives)

Need Help? Let's chat.