cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't text another apple phone with no data package

wymasa1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm trying to figure out if the problem is on my end or the other person.

I have a data package with public mobile, my friend has a phone and text plan with bell, no data but just got an older iphone to use. Never had this issue with her previous phone.

Unless I turn off my data and wifi, she does not receive my texts. imessage doesn't go through. I have a text package and I have "send SMS when iMessage is unavailable" checked in settings. Other apple userswith different carriers can text her no issues so i am leaning toweard it being an issue with public mobile or my phone.

I just had my daughter turn her wifi and data off and my imessage did not go through but when i turned my wifi and data off, another text went through. Shouldnt a text mesage go through regardless of internet access?

13 REPLIES 13

@wymasa1  Too bad it didn't work.  As far as I remember after selecting the phone number instead of email I also turned off iMessage and rebooted the phone when this happened to me then re-enabled iMessage.  

wymasa1

Unfortunately it didnt work but i appreciate everyone's help.

Thanks!

@wymasa1  Try changing the start new conversations from to your phone number and see if that works

wymasa1

Under send and receive it has “you can receive iMessages to and reply from” and it has my number and email checked. 

then there is “start new conversations from” and it had my email checked only 

@wymasa1   Can you check that the options in Send and Receive (under Messages settings) have the right options selected?

wymasa1

I have my daughters phone next to me so when she has her data and WiFi turned off and I send a blue iMessage it doesn’t go through. Then I turn off my WiFi and data and send another message, it’s green and does go through. Nothing happens when I long press just gentle or slam option for delivery. 

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@wymasa1   Is the text bubble green or blue for the ones that won't go through?   What happens if you long press on the outgoing message?

wymasa1

No I don’t believe so. I turned my daughter’s WiFi and data off to recreate as best as I could, someone with no data and my iMessage did not go through to her either. Send as SMS when iMessage unavailable is on 

HI @wymasa1 

was it only one person you have trouble with ? if it is, it might be problem on other end and not you

wymasa1

Yes that has always been on. Have rebooted will see if it makes a difference

HI @wymasa1 

make sure you have done that

• From a Home screen on your Apple® iPhone®, navigate: Settings. Messages. .
  • Tap the. Send as SMS switch. to turn on or off . When enabled and iMessage is unavailable, messages are sent as SMS.

wymasa1

The only way a text will go through with this other apple user is if i turn my wifi and data off, so yes I am sending and SMS but I feel it should send automatically as an SMS if her phone doesn't accept MMS, regardless if I am sending an imessage. If that makes sense. but I will disable and reboot thanks

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @wymasa1 

"unless I turn off my data and wifi", so you are sending him via SMS and not iMessage

you hhave the same problem sending iMessage to others or just to this friend?

I suggest you to try to disable iMessage on your phone first, then reboot and turn it back on and test

Need Help? Let's chat.