cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can’t send sms or mms messages, can only receive them

goalie1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have been having this problem on two devices now. I was on a one plus 5t phone, and couldn't send sms messages. I recently bought an iphone 11 pro and now I can only send imessages but still can’t send sms messages. I changed my apn number to the recommended one and have done everything a quick google search will recommend. If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it. 

17 REPLIES 17

goalie1

Is there a way I can change that on my iphone, I can't seem to find SMSC in my settings

goalie1

There is no prompt when I go to that section on my phone

HI @goalie1 

For Carrier profile on iPhone:

you can manually update carrier settings by following these steps:

1. Make sure that your device is connected to Wi-Fi or a cellular network.
  2. Tap Settings > General > About.
  3. Follow the onscreen instructions to install your carrier update.

goalie1

What do you mean by carrier profile settings?

There is a seperate messaging centre/SMSC phone number setting on devices that tells the phone how/where to send SMS message through.

goalie1

What do you mean by message centre phone number- the only number I see is when I go to messages, send & receive, and the number thats attached to my plan comes up. 

HI @goalie1   have you opened a ticket with PM CS agent yet?  If not , please do so.  I think we helped with all the quick trick we can already

goalie1

They are both enabled, still cant send sms

@computergeek541 

ok. thanks. the issue in network!

@Timer wrote:

@goalie1 

turn off device take out SIM card and if you have other device treid to insert SIM.

• Reset Network Settings  >> How to Reset Network Settings
  • check  APN settings  >>  How to Set APN
  • Go to Settings and tap "Messages," then make sure "MMS Messaging" is turned on by swiping the button to the right.
  • MMS Go to Settings-> Cellular-> then tap the switch to enable Cellular Data.
  • Update iOS > Go to Settings > General > Software Update.
  • and rebooting device.

There's no reason to make any changes to APN settings.  The customer has already stated that MMS messages can be received.  The APN settings for sending and receiving MMS messages are identical.

Timer
Mayor / Maire

@goalie1 

turn off device take out SIM card and if you have other device treid to insert SIM.

• Reset Network Settings  >> How to Reset Network Settings
  • check  APN settings  >>  How to Set APN
  • Go to Settings and tap "Messages," then make sure "MMS Messaging" is turned on by swiping the button to the right.
  • MMS Go to Settings-> Cellular-> then tap the switch to enable Cellular Data.
  • Update iOS > Go to Settings > General > Software Update.
  • and rebooting device.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Did you register the phone to your Apple ID account? Did you turn on SMS and MMS in the iMessage app?

Also, settings, general, about and see if any updates occur.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI@goalie1   actually, are you on iPhone now?  If so,  you cannot do much with APN settings.  You need to update your Carrier Profile settings, make sure you are on the latest one

If it still fails, you need to open ticket with PM CS Agent, I think it is a problem on their end instead of locally:

open a ticket with PM CS Agent at : https://publicmobile.ca/chatbot. Follow this to get to ticket open screen quicker:

start by typing : Contact CS Agent
then Click "Contact Us"
then Click "Other"
finally Click "Click here to submit a ticket"
you will then direct to another page to open ticket.

After ticket is submitted, make sure to check your Community Inbox(top right corner envelope icon) periodically for response from PM's CS Agent

If you have problems submitting a ticket, you can also send a private message to the CS Agent (but this can take longer):
https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Meow
Mayor / Maire

Check settings on your phone - what is Message Centre phone number.

Check restrictions setting for MMS.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

Hi @goalie1   Since you can receive, I believe you have your Mobile Data enabled already

You can try to Reset Network setting once (but be aware that you have to rejoin your wifi network after)

If still fail, first   Check your APN settings

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/set-up-data-on-an-android-phone

if that doesn't work try make a change to these fields:

MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMS Proxy: mmscproxy.mobility.ca
MMS Port: 8799

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@goalie1 hi in your settings go to messages,make sure send as sms and mms are enabled 

Need Help? Let's chat.