cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't make phone calls from my home

Pharaoh
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have been a Public Mobile subscriber for about 4 years, and until recently, all as been fine.  Then about 3 months ago when making telephone calls AT HOME, the calls started dropping off sporadically.  But my phone was fine when I made calls in other places besides home. 

About 3 weeks ago, I could no longer make calls from my house (and I have tried every room).  I found one place in my driveway where I could make calls out, but with each of those calls when the person answered, I kept fading out and they couldn't hear me.   So now when I need to make a phone call, I drive 1 minute into my town and my phone works just fine and I can make calls.  To me, this problem I'm having seems to be a lack of coverage to my home that has happened out of the blue.

I have put 2 tickets in to get help with this (one over a week ago and the other two days ago), but no response.   Any advice?   I also just recently upgraded my Public Mobile plan to get 4G thinking that might help with this problem, but it hasn't helped at all.  My town is covered for 5G.   I use a Samsung S8+ phone which is older, but my phone isn't the issue as I can make calls from other places.  Just not at home.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

7 REPLIES 7

@Yummy wrote:

Some interference most likely. Neighbours with powerful WiFi and other gizmos; construction; cell tower breaking down... you name it.

Wi-Fi networks couldn't interfere with cell phone signals.  The frequencies used for Wi-Fi aren't the same as  anything used for cellular service.

@Pharaoh 

I'm not a Samsung'er...but...if you could find someone with an iPhone or a newer Samsung to try calling to see if volte improves call-ability. You might have to upgrade your phone to something on the PM volte whitelist.

Pharaoh

Hi Hairbag1 - When turn off Wifi, and I bring up my phone it says LTE, and when I make the call, it changes to H+, and then it tries to make the phone call and nothing happens and it just drops off.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Pharaoh 

PM doesn't have your Samsung S8+ on their Volte whitelist.  To test if volte has been enabled on your phone...turn OFF wifi and dial a local number. If the call stays on LTE, you have volte. If the call drops to 3G, well...it's not volte enabled.

If possible, can you try making calls from your place with a known volte enabled phone.

Pharaoh

Hi.  I checked with the Telus link you provided and it didn't indicate any service problems in my area.

I went into my mobile netwok settings.  It is set to LTE/WCDMA/GSM.  I believe it has always been set to that and the only other options are "WCDMA only" and "GSM only".

I haven't tried my SIM card in another phone as I only have the one phone.  But would a SIM card make it so I can't make calls from my house but can in other places?  Also, my texting works fine if that means anything.

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Hello @Pharaoh 

That's odd that it just stopped working. Have you tried your SIM card in a different phone? Have you tried to reset your Network Settings on your phone and rebooting? Have you checked this link to see if there are problems in your area? 

TELUS Service Status

There could be a number of factors...  let's help you figure it out.

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

Some interference most likely. Neighbours with powerful WiFi and other gizmos; construction; cell tower breaking down... you name it.

Need Help? Let's chat.