cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't get new Android phone to work

JenX
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi all, I've spent hours on the forum trying to find an answer to my problem. I know that the issue has been brought up before, but none of the posted solutions have worked on my particular model phone. I have a Leagoo Kiicaa Power android phone and can't get it to recognize the network at all. Tried setting up the APN in a couple of different ways based on others' suggestions without any success.

Specs are:

Frequency: GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz; WCDMA: 900/2100 MHz

3G: Support HSPA+,DC-HSPA+ R8    DL 21/UL  5.76Mbps

I'm fully willing to admit that it may be the phone but I thought it was compatible with the PM network when I bought it because it supports HSPA+. I realize that it probably isn't working because it uses GSM and WCDMA frequency but would just love confirmation of that fact. BTW, the SIM card works fine in my old iPhone.

Many thanks for your feedback.

16 REPLIES 16

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@JenX unfortunately, many (most?) phones are region-specific. There are some "world-phone" uni-model exceptions though. The OnePlus 5 and OnePlus 5T come to mind as examples. I know there are others out there as well. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

JenX

@srlawren wrote:

@Anonymous use the tool on Public Mobile's webpage to check for blacklisting, but use willmyphonework.net for compatiblity.

@JenX unforutnately your phone is entirely incompatible with Public Mobile.  In Canada, it can only be used with Rogers or Fido (possibly Chatr--I'm not usre if Rogers offers access to their 2G GSM netwotk to Chatr customers?).  Rogers is the only network operator in Canada to run a 2G GSM network, and your 3G bands are not compatible with any provider in Canada.

Thanks for the confirmation. It's what I feared. I also live in Spain part of the year so wanted a phone that will work in both locales. The Leagoo Power does work there (and elsewhere in Europe) so I guess I will just have to keep it for when I'm travelling. Appreciate your feedback.

srlawren

@JenX there is no need to wait for assistance from them. Your phone is 100% not usable with Public Mobile. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

JenX

@mimmo wrote:

Have you checked this website?

https://willmyphonework.net/

Yes. Unfortunately my model isn't listed. I've sent an email off to the website asking for assistance, though.

JenX

@Anonymous wrote:

@JenX, there's also the Public Mobile tool that checks your phone's compatibility, based on your IMEI number.  You can access it by clicking here.

Hi. I tried the look-up. Unfortunately it doesn't recognize my IMEI number.

JenX

Hi. I did, thanks. It doesn't recognize my IMEI number.

@JenX

I wouldn't put any more time into this with your current device.

The information that you've already posted (if the info is accurate) conclusively show that you phone is not compatible with Public Mobile. 

You're going to have to get a new/different phone that works.  As mentioned earlier, look for UMTS/HSPA 850/1900  (Bands 2 and 5). 

mimmo

No thanks needed we all learning and teaching. If only the powers that be could make things more clear for users.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mimmo & @srlawren - thanks for setting me straight.

srlawren

@Anonymous use the tool on Public Mobile's webpage to check for blacklisting, but use willmyphonework.net for compatiblity.

@JenX unforutnately your phone is entirely incompatible with Public Mobile.  In Canada, it can only be used with Rogers or Fido (possibly Chatr--I'm not usre if Rogers offers access to their 2G GSM netwotk to Chatr customers?).  Rogers is the only network operator in Canada to run a 2G GSM network, and your 3G bands are not compatible with any provider in Canada.

mimmo

@Anonymous yeah there are so many areas /simple features that need improvement.   I based my comment from this thead    searching the forum the same comments are often repeated.   even in the KB article written by PM they reccomend willmyphonework instead of their own service.  

Not sure why they even keep the the PM one.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh.  Well that sucks. 

The Get Started web page says it will determine if the phone is compatible with the network.

Cat Sad

mimmo

@Anonymous from my understanding (from comments of other posters) the PM checker is not really good/accurate, it's more for checking blacklisted phones.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@JenX, there's also the Public Mobile tool that checks your phone's compatibility, based on your IMEI number.  You can access it by clicking here.

These are the frequencies used by PM: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telus_Mobility

You need 850/1900 on WCDMA/HSPA; PM does not support GSM 2G.

Looks to me your phone is incompatible. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

mimmo

Have you checked this website?

https://willmyphonework.net/

Need Help? Let's chat.