cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can no longer send texts

Daisy22
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My son is on the $15/mo plan that says unlimited messaging is included, but as of 2 days ago he can no longer send texts unless on wifi. How do I fix this?

18 REPLIES 18

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

Turn off wifi and data.  Try to send the message.  The message won't send because of no data/wifi, then tap and hold the message bubble you just tried to send.  It should come up with "send as text message" then.

@Daisy22  Maybe try to reboot the phone or reset network settings . Is it possible for you to test the sim in another phone to try . 

Um. Is it after sending it and then tap and hold that bubble to find the sms option.

Adding - where'd all the iphone people? Oh, right, I see.

Daisy22

When I try to press and hold it goes to “send with effect” no other option

Your welcome for the idea 🙂
Can you send to that contact and force the sms option (press and hold I think) and see what colour the bubble comes out as?

Daisy22

Ok still have problem with all but 1 contact. The phone numbers that are listed in his contacts as IMessage won’t change to sms option? Only the ones with email options as well.  

Daisy22

THANK YOU!  The recipients were set up as emails not phone numbers!  Problem solved!

Daisy22

Agreed. But that’s not happening. 

If you go to Settings -> Messages is iMessage turned on?  Also as Dust2Dust said, are the recipients set as phone numbers and not email?

Daisy22

That’s what I thought but as soon as I type something it says iMessage needs to be enabled and won’t go any further. It won’t even let the message send. 

Daisy22

That’s what I thought but as soon as I type something it says iMessage needs to be enabled and won’t go any further. It won’t even let the message send. 

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

If SMS is enabled in settings an iPhone should automatically switch to SMS texting if sending by iMessage fails due to no data/wifi but there may be a slight delay.  But MMS (with pictures) requires data and doesn't work over wifi.

In imessage turn on send as sms and send as mms. Also to send to phone numbers, not just emails.

HI @Daisy22 

yes, his data is maxed out $15 comes with 250 Mb of data only, if kids send pictures or video, it will use up fast

Tell him to do this, after sent, it said failed, click and hold and select send as Text and it will work

@Daisy22  Yes iMessage needs data so if you turn it off and make sure sms is turned in he should be able to text without needing wifi / data 

Daisy22

Nope that doesn’t work. It says iMessage needs to be enabled. Probably because his data is maxed out. 

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

Does everything else work, such as incoming and outgoing voice calls, so you know the plan is still active?

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Daisy22  Sounds like he has a iPhone turn of iMessage and have him just use sms instead 

Need Help? Let's chat.