cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use my phone number with 2 providers at same time?

Bre123
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have hit a wall with receiving SMS when traveling abroad (for the purpose of 2 factor authentication) and so I am contemplating moving my phone to say Telus or Bell that allow for international roaming, but don't want to loose the sweet deal that I have with Public mobile. Does anyone know if I can port my number to another provider, but keep paying for my Public mobile account and then switch back after my travels? Thanks

8 REPLIES 8

hycm53
Mayor / Maire

@Bre123 wrote:

I have hit a wall with receiving SMS when traveling abroad (for the purpose of 2 factor authentication) and so I am contemplating moving my phone to say Telus or Bell that allow for international roaming, but don't want to loose the sweet deal that I have with Public mobile. Does anyone know if I can port my number to another provider, but keep paying for my Public mobile account and then switch back after my travels? Thanks

When you port your phone number to the another provider, your PM account will be closed. You can't have only one phone number for two services.

For 2FA, you could use bank app, for instance use RBC bank app to allow sign in your RBC online account. Some bank can send 2FA to email, for instance BMO have this option. Amazon account can use "Authenticator" app to get code for sign in.

@wetcoaster wrote:

Good for you that VoIP works for you for 2FA abroad.  I used TextNow and Fongo for 2FA text messages in the past but it has become pretty unreliable recently (if the institution offers a 2FA call, that can be an alternative).

As I said, my bank doesn't use SMS for 2FA so I'm not aware of issues with receiving the SMS through Textnow. If it isn't working, apologies to the OP @Bre123.  Even the Federal government has jumped on the authenticator app for some stuff though some departments still insist on sending SMS.

@kb_mv wrote:

@Bre123 Why not just get TextNow (or any number of VOIP apps) with a free Canadian number. Use it through data all the time (wifi or travel data sims or your PM plan in Canada) for all 2FA SMS? That way you keep your PM rewards and Textnow works everywhere.

Edit: My bank offers 2FA but it is not through SMS. You select a trusted device and that device is asked to authorize the sign in. Outside of that it sends me email and through app notifications of any transaction over $300 (user selectable). I travel a lot (using travel data esim) especially through Caribbean and central America and Europe and have never had an issue using my CC in a store/restaurant or my bank card at an ATM.

Good for you that VoIP works for you for 2FA abroad.  I used TextNow and Fongo for 2FA text messages in the past but it has become pretty unreliable recently (if the institution offers a 2FA call, that can be an alternative).

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

Depending on where you live and what your situation at Public Mobile is, you might consider a second ("2FA") line with the competition?

I'm a long term PM client, getting the max loyalty $ discount, and I'm not yet ready to give up that account, despite the CSAs continued outright refusal to upgrade me from $15 to $24/4GB (which would be a whole other rant...).

In the light of 2024 travel plans I'm instead supplementing the PM plan with the $119 yearly plan at the orange label brand. Gives me a bit of domestic data (I don't need much), I could choose their roaming package for where I'm going, or just use their WiFi calling option when needed for 2FA. 

Haven't decided yet if I'll be suspending the PM plan during travel (suspension has to be less than 89 days!) or let it continue and forward calls and texts to the other number.

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@Bre123 Why not just get TextNow (or any number of VOIP apps) with a free Canadian number. Use it through data all the time (wifi or travel data sims or your PM plan in Canada) for all 2FA SMS? That way you keep your PM rewards and Textnow works everywhere.

Edit: My bank offers 2FA but it is not through SMS. You select a trusted device and that device is asked to authorize the sign in. Outside of that it sends me email and through app notifications of any transaction over $300 (user selectable). I travel a lot (using travel data esim) especially through Caribbean and central America and Europe and have never had an issue using my CC in a store/restaurant or my bank card at an ATM.

Raps23
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

You could look into getting an esim when you travel and keep your public mobile number for when you are home. I think you can activate an esim, and get a plan that works for as long as you are travelling, like a couple weeks or a month. Probably cheaper that way too

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Bre123  no sorry this cannot be done . Once you port out your PM number to Telus it will automatically close your PM account and the rewards associated with that PM account will be gone . Might be better to just get a Telus account with temp phone number for your time away and then cancel it when your back home . And keep your PM number and rewards intact 

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Bre123 generally speaker NO

but it might happen when the number in the process of porting and poring not completed

Need Help? Let's chat.