cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I Receive International Texts in the US

JessieDurnin
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi Community,

My plan includes ‘Unlimited International Text’ so I want to clarify if I can RECIEVE SMS text messages from a Canadian number while I am in the United States as part of my plan? 

Will l be charged extra for receiving these SMS text messages??

I have an iPhone so would I take it off Airplane mode to do this?

8 REPLIES 8

dna2016
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@JessieDurnin Very good question, you can recieve as many local and international text messages as you like and you won't be charged.  However sending text messages while out of Canada is a different story, you'll need to apply some add-ons for that.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@JessieDurnin wrote:

Thanks for the answer. So, while in the USA can I leave my phone on cellular and connect to AT&T’s network free of charge?

@JessieDurnin yes you can connect to the network free of charge but you won't be able to do anything with it other than receive incoming SMS text messages.  You will not be able to send (or respond to) any text messages, make or receive any calls (incoming calls will go straight to your voicemail), and you will not be able to send or receive any data.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

For receiving calls and texts, it never matters where the other person is doing it from.  It's all the same whether the other person is calling you or texting you from Canada, U.S., Australia, Russia, South Africa, England,  or wherevever.  You'll need to pay for a roaming package to receive calls (calls from anywhere) while you are in the U.S.

JessieDurnin
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks for the answer. So, while in the USA can I leave my phone on cellular and connect to AT&T’s network free of charge?

HeatherHowe
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I was in the United States this past Tuesday and I forgot to turn on my roaming.  I actually had airplane mode on and didn’t receive anything.  I was with Rogers and I always had to put it in airplane mode or they would charge me with roaming. So frustrating! 

harman1189
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I don't think receiving messages is an issue, regardless of what country you're in. Sending messages is a different thing though. 

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@JessieDurnin just to add on. The only thing that will work while in the USA is getting sms data and making or receiving calls will not work unless you buy the USA add-ons.

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@JessieDurnin Yes, you will receive text messages while you are in the US. Make sure roaming is turned on. However, you will need to purchase the US roaming text add-on to send text messages. Since PM is a prepaid service, you will never get any overage charges. 

Need Help? Let's chat.