cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calls to South Africa

figfn
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Good day, 

Is it possible to call South Africa on the network?

12 REPLIES 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Pawprints1986 wrote:

But in theory, if you knew someone in Africa, you could Facebook messenger them to call you in 5 minutes type thing then still establish connection... Depending what Africa charges long distance wise... 

Or text them. We can text anywhere that will accept. Or use voip. Or a calling card.

lol I don't think "Africa" charges anything. Each country in Africa on the other hand...:)

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

But in theory, if you knew someone in Africa, you could Facebook messenger them to call you in 5 minutes type thing then still establish connection... Depending what Africa charges long distance wise... 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Pawprints1986 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Pawprints1986 wrote:

curiosity getting the best of me again... what if youre both at home and someone in south africa tried to call you? Can you accept a call? Or just straight up wont work? Doesnt apply to me but just curious... 

Calls can be accepted from anywhere on the planet (or elsewhere that can connect to the earth-based telephone system 🙂 ).

Odd that it cant go both ways in some cases... what happens network wise that it can go one direction but not the other? Is that a PM limitation or a telus/canadian overall limitation?

It _can_ go the other direction in this case but limited to a group of countries and also excluding some area code/prefixes.

"Long distance" has always been on the callers side. When cells arrived they were about air time. So just the mere fact of using air time consumed units.

Pawprints1986

@Anonymous wrote:

@Pawprints1986 wrote:

curiosity getting the best of me again... what if youre both at home and someone in south africa tried to call you? Can you accept a call? Or just straight up wont work? Doesnt apply to me but just curious... 

Calls can be accepted from anywhere on the planet (or elsewhere that can connect to the earth-based telephone system 🙂 ).

Odd that it cant go both ways in some cases... what happens network wise that it can go one direction but not the other? Is that a PM limitation or a telus/canadian overall limitation?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Pawprints1986 wrote:

Pawprints1986

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@figfn wrote:

Good day, 

The best thing for you to do is use any of the apps mentioned, Line app is another good one that I use for video chat and calls. 

Allthe best my friend!

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@figfn Unfortunately, using PM, you can't call there. But you can use some internet applications like What's App, Wechat, Skype, etc to call to the country you need.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You could purchase a LD calling card or use Wi-Fi apps like Textnow, Fongo, or Skype.

Daps

@figfnyou cannot make calls with south africa using public mobile.

You will need to use a calling card or a voip app (like fongo, google voice, etc)

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

Sorry no @figfn The Intl long distance Add-On only  includes these countries: Canada, China, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, India, Italy, South Korea, Malaysia, Mexico, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Singapore, Spain, Thailand, United Kingdom, United States, and Venezuela.

You can try free apps such as WhatsApp etc

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

@figfn wrote:

Good day, 

Sorry these are the only countries with an add on:

400 International Long Distance minutes

Included countries: Canada, China, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, India, Italy, South Korea, Malaysia, Mexico, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Singapore, Spain, Thailand, United Kingdom, United States, and Venezuela.
Need Help? Let's chat.