cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calling 1800 numbers

tanyaroswyn
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have 100 minutes Canada-wide calling. Why does it use up minutes on my plan when I call a 1800 toll free number? The receiver is paying for the call, not me as the sender. 

34 REPLIES 34

@softech 

Yes you will always get the 10 minutes remaining in your plan text regardless of add ons in your account.

tanyaroswyn

@softech  well that's just plain ridiculous!  Yes for sure will post when I get the word on the 1800 numbers

tanyaroswyn

@darlicious  Good idea! 

@tanyaroswyn wrote:

@Dunkman  actually now that you mention it, yes I did. But I still got a text saying I only had a few minutes left of calling time

I think  you will get the text as long as your regular minutes are running low even you have your add-ons as backup

Let's hope you get that clarified by PM.  Can you let us know what there response is?  Just want to know the official words for 1-800 number

@tanyaroswyn 

Once customer support sorts out this issue for you I would ask for the $5 for the add on to be credited back to your account as compensation.

tanyaroswyn

@Dunkman  actually now that you mention it, yes I did. But I still got a text saying I only had a few minutes left of calling time. Hmmmm..... In the meantime I bought the $5 add-on because I needed to make some calls and can't wait to hear back from customer service!

@tanyaroswyn 

Did you receive the holiday long distance add on of 500 minutes?  You can use those minutes for local calling also.  

The Canada wide minutes add on 500 minutes for $5 is also excellent value for the $15 plan.  Unused minutes roll over to next payment cycle.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@tanyaroswyn wrote:

@Anonymous  Thanks, i just downloaded Talkatone per your advice 🙏🏼

@tanyaroswyn 

you will love it the app Talkatone, and for the app Textme, they have a limit number when you call for 60 min the call will be end and you need to recall...

@tanyaroswyn   another good one is TextNow 🙂

tanyaroswyn

@Anonymous  Thanks, i just downloaded Talkatone per your advice 🙏🏼

Anonymous
Not applicable

@tanyaroswyn wrote:

@Anonymous 

awsome thanks for the links, Someone else mentioned the TextMe app, I’ll download it, sometimes with the toll free numbers I’m on hold for aaaaages!

@tanyaroswyn 

your welcome,

i'm always when i need to call 18xx i use that app Talkatone, is much better and Free.

tanyaroswyn

Haha @esjliv  could you tell I’ve never done this before?! 🤣. When I hit ‘reply’ I thought it attached to the person who I was replying to. Thank you for the advice! 

tanyaroswyn

Thanks @esjliv , I’ll start watching my overview of minutes so I can see what’s being deducted as I make calls 👍

tanyaroswyn

@Anonymous 

awsome thanks for the links, Someone else mentioned the TextMe app, I’ll download it, sometimes with the toll free numbers I’m on hold for aaaaages!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@tanyaroswyn 

some advice to save your plan minutes, Wi-Fi Free use a app Textme or Talkatone, and you will getting new canadian number for Free from that app,

• Unlimited Call \ SMS \ MMS a Free USA/Canada.

Here link for app Talkatone.

Here link for app Text Me.

@tanyaroswyn 

Keep in mind that when a call connects the timer actually starts after dialing to include the ring time. So the first minute will tick over at 53 seconds rather than at 1 min (60 seconds.)

@tanyaroswyn  - fyi, if would like to direct your message to a particular post or member, you can enter " @ " symbol to populate members currently involved in the thread, or tag anyone if you know their username.

Then we know who you are 'speaking' to. 🙂

tanyaroswyn

Because it shows on the overview page. I meant I hadn’t been looking to see if that changed after I made a 1800 call out.

tanyaroswyn

Ah ok, thanks. I’ve sent  a message to customer service to find out. But I still don’t see as many minutes as they say I’ve used even with rounding up and counting the toll free numbers. Hopefully they will be able to clarify for my!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@tanyaroswyn 

Calls to voicemail will deduct from in-plan minutes.

@tanyaroswyn wrote:

Ah, i didn’t know that about the rounding up. But every rounding up and counting the voicemail calls it’s nowhere near 97 minutes. 🤷🏽‍♀️

@tanyaroswyn  - but, how do you know you used 97 minutes, if you said you didn't check the Overview page (as mentioned in early post?).

Can you give a screenshot of your Overview section, like I did of mine above?

tanyaroswyn

Ah, i didn’t know that about the rounding up. But every rounding up and counting the voicemail calls it’s nowhere near 97 minutes. 🤷🏽‍♀️

tanyaroswyn

I have the newer plan with the free incoming calls. 

It has been a glitch that toll free numbers don't count as minutes.  A beneficial one for the customers who are on the limited talk plans.  The free part is the long distance.  Theoretically, it should still be counted as outgoing minutes.  Public mobile might be closing the loophole or some toll free numbers are being counted.   

@tanyaroswyn wrote:

Hmm I didn’t check the overview page, it was just looking on the usage page and I can’t see how I’ve used up 97 minutes of my 100. Assuming it rolls from my anniversary date? Ie the date I signed up on…I’m counting from the 11th each month. 

I’ve called several 1800 or 1877 numbers such as 1800-4317….

@tanyaroswyn  - oh yeah, going by the detail usage will be tough to calculate accurately.

Definitely go by the Overview, it is the most live usage of minutes and data.

FOR DATA tracking help...

Install an app to track your ‘live’ usage so you can keep track.

Public Mobile are 30 day plans (not monthly).

If you are android, try this one:

Data Witness app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/detailsid=com.iwik.datawitnesspm&hl=en_CA&gl=US

I use this one myself and it gives me what I need from it.

You could also check out Data counter widget: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.roysolberg.android.datacounter&hl=en_CA&gl=US

If you are an Apple user, I am sure there is a 30-day app that is available as well.

tanyaroswyn

I’ll check that with the next call, thx

tanyaroswyn

Hmm I didn’t check the overview page, it was just looking on the usage page and I can’t see how I’ve used up 97 minutes of my 100. Assuming it rolls from my anniversary date? Ie the date I signed up on…I’m counting from the 11th each month. 

I’ve called several 1800 or 1877 numbers such as 1800-4317….

@tanyaroswyn wrote:

I think so, it says I only have 3 minutes left but I just added up all my outgoing calls and I only count that I’ve used about 65 mins total, including toll free numbers. I’m not sure what calls to voicemail show up as though but I can’t see it being 30 minutes worth.

@tanyaroswyn did you round up the minute to the next minute?  a 2:01 calls will be counted as 3 minutes and not 2

outgoing minutes to (xxx) 580-4001 are voicemail call, they are counted towards your minute as well

also, please go through all pages within the 30 days cycle, don't trust the Sorting.  The sort seems work but it is not.  So, really go through each page to count them all

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@tanyaroswyn wrote:

I think so, it says I only have 3 minutes left but I just added up all my outgoing calls and I only count that I’ve used about 65 mins total, including toll free numbers. I’m not sure what calls to voicemail show up as though but I can’t see it being 30 minutes worth.

What is your plan details?

You may have an old $15 plan with 100 minutes for calling in and out - without free incoming calls..

If yes, you can schedule plan change to the new $15 plan with free incoming minutes on your next renewal date.

tanyaroswyn

Need Help? Let's chat.