cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calling 1800 numbers

tanyaroswyn
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have 100 minutes Canada-wide calling. Why does it use up minutes on my plan when I call a 1800 toll free number? The receiver is paying for the call, not me as the sender. 

34 REPLIES 34

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@tanyaroswyn 

I checked it again, just in case PM had changed the charge, before my reply

I made a toll free call to my bank for 48 seconds.  The minutes usage on my overview page after login did not change.  I look into the usage history.  It recorded I called a toll free number and with $0 charge for that call on the last column.

Agree with you on the receiver pay for the long distance charge.  But lot of mobile providers still charge the air time for the call and no long distance charge.  After I switched to PM, I did checked and confirmed that there is no minute charge for calling and receiving toll free number call because I have an old plan with only 50 minutes for in and out calls.  I was cut off while I was on a toll free call.  The CSR called me back with a toll free number and I was not charged for answering the second conversation.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@tanyaroswyn wrote:

I have 100 minutes Canada-wide calling. Why does it use up minutes on my plan when I call a 1800 toll free number? The receiver is paying for the call, not me as the sender. 

@tanyaroswyn 

I would be very curious to know if you are seeing the reduction in your Plan 100 outgoing Minutes in your Overview.

Did you happen to check out your total minutes remaining before you made the call, then again after you finished the call in the area below?

esjliv_0-1601935725902.png

Yes, the call will be logged in the Detail Usage area; but, can you confirm this for us and other customers? 

If it did deduct from the overview area, can you share the first 7 digits of the number, like 800-1234, or 855-1234, etc?

Inquiring minds want to know. 🙂 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@tanyaroswyn   there seems to be some questions lately if the 1800 numbers counted towards  the 100 outgoing bucket or not.  It used to be not.  Most 1-800 numbers should NOT be using your  100 minutes. 

What is that 1-800 number and do you mind to share?

There has been multiple questions about this topic lately, seems like PM is counting the 1-800 number. (this is at least the 3rd posts I saw in the last 2 weeks)  You might want to open ticket with PM Support to confirm as well

Spoiler

1. For faster response (2-48 hours), Click on the bubble in the lower right to request CS Agent assistance, or use this direct link: https://publicmobile.ca/chatbot.

Start with typing "Submit a ticket", click "Contact Us", click "Other" from the choices, click "Click here to submit a ticket". Then follow to complete the ticket submission.

2. Or you can Send a private message to the CS Agent here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

**Monitor your Community inbox, envelope on the top right, after ticket is opened.  CS Agent will reply and work with you  via messaging there

For now, if you want to save your 100 minutes, you might want to use VoIP app to make the call instead.  Download TextNow, pick a Canadian phone number and you can call US and Canada , including 1-800 numbers , for free

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@tanyaroswyn wrote:

@tanyaroswyn    Are you actually verifying on the overview page that calling the 1-800 numbers is deducting from your 100 mins?   As most (though not all) 1-800 number should not be deducting from your available mins unless PM has changed something on their end.

Need Help? Let's chat.