cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call quality issues

FestiveBeast
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, 

I have been a long time Fido customer (20+ years) but PM 25$ a month is way cheaper. So,

I ported to PM 48 hours ago. However, the call quality is not very good. I'm using a samsung S10. When calling you can hear that the sound is very clear for a second or two, then quality drops and sound is muffled.

Any suggestion ?

EDIT : Coverage is not the issue here. I'm in Montreal and cell tower is like 500 feet away.

9 REPLIES 9

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@FestiveBeast wrote:

EDIT : Coverage is not the issue here. I'm in Montreal and cell tower is like 500 feet away.

Coverage might be the issue there. Fido uses the Rogers+Shaw+Freedom network, Public uses the shared Telus+Bell+SaskTel+etc network. Different networks have different towers in different places.

You also can't simply draw a radius around a tower. Each cell site has different equipment with different capabilities and ranges. Most are directional, specifically aimed at (or away from) particular areas. You can receive no signal bars while sitting right next to a tower, you can receive full signal bars from a distance of 10km or more.

https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html?lat=52.000000&lng=-97.000000&zoom=4&type=Roadm...

I think the problem is likely to sort itself out after a little while. Local network machinery sometimes needs to "learn" usage patterns for local subscribers before network-side allocations get optimized.

Though the problem could be your phone's particular band/frequency preferences. You can try changing your device's carrier/network/operator settings from "Automatic" to "Public Mobile" and performing a network reset (along with a restart, just to be sure), as instructed by @Anonymous .

Alternately, the problem might be that you are comparing VoLTE-based calling from Fido vs HSPA-based calling from Public in an area which happens to have poor 3G service/coverage.

I'd advise sticking with Public for a month or two, especially since you already pre-paid at least one month anyhow. Wait and see (hear) if your call quality improves. If not, you might have to decide if paying more at Fido to get better call quality is worth the price difference.

@FestiveBeast wrote:

two you can clearly hear a cutoff/drop (talking milliseconds here)

WOW! We have superhuman here!!! You can actually experience millisecond event??? 😋

(Joking...!)

FestiveBeast
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thank you for the reply. I tried all the steps and set the APN manually. Quality is a better than earlier today (tested with the call with the same relative under the same condition, same phone, same location). 

Weird result :

Calling a free support line (tested videotron and bell CS support line).

The call gets connected, you hear the voice super clear, then after a second or two you can clearly hear a cutoff/drop (talking milliseconds here) and quality changes. 

Do you guys get the same result?

Camera4617
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@FestiveBeast wrote:

Hi, 

I have been a long time Fido customer (20+ years) but PM 25$ a month is way cheaper. So,

I ported to PM 48 hours ago. However, the call quality is not very good. I'm using a samsung S10. When calling you can hear that the sound is very clear for a second or two, then quality drops and sound is muffled.

Any suggestion ?

@FestiveBeast   I would try either of these 2 things if possible. Use your SIM card in another phone OR  if you know anyone with Public Mobile, try their SIM in your phone.. That should give you good idea if it is a phone or sim issue. 

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

Hi @FestiveBeast   try to go to a different area in the city and see if any difference

Or if you are living in an apartment, get closer to the windows and see if any difference

If in a house , go to the top floor and see if it makes a difference

Try 3G Only for a day or two 

And, do you have a 2nd phone to test it out?  Not saying your phone is the problem, just want to see if another phone will make a difference

Anonymous
Not applicable

@FestiveBeast 

do you get a SMS message from your old carrier asking to confirm if you would like to Transfer your number. Your reply should be: YES.

maybe you stuck with Transferring your old Phone Number,and is not complete

Here’s how to contact Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent,

• you need to send a private message to Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent, by Click Here link

• please include in your message,
  • phone number,
  • which carrier,

• Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent, will Response to your inbox by private message 
  • During business hours, we strive to answer customer messages swiftly. You will often get an answer within an hour. During peak periods, you may need to wait up to 48 hours.Customer Support Agents are available:
    • Monday to Sunday: 6 AM to 10 PM EST
    • Note: For public mobile No Support by phone call or Email.. only by CS_Agentprivate message..

Check your private message inbox (click on the envelope top right of your screen)

Anonymous
Not applicable

@hairbag1 

i did post the not in poster i don't know what happen,

@Anonymous wrote:

@FestiveBeast 

Blank reply ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@FestiveBeast 

you can try reseat the SIM card and Make sure your phone is off before removing your SIM card,

1. power off your device

2. take out the SIM card,

3. waiting a 1 minute,

4. put it back and power on,

5. toggling airplane mode off/on,  

and do reset network settings on an Android device
  1. Open the Settings app on your Android.
  2. Scroll to and tap either "General management" or "System," depending on what device you have.
  3. Tap either "Reset" or "Reset options."
  4. Tap the words "Reset network settings."

or visit  Here link,

and go Changing APN Settings On Android device

click Here link,

and try manually selecting network "3G ONLY" or WCDMA only,

for iPhone visit Here link 

or Here link 

for android visit Here link ,

and do Rebooting your phone ,This is quick and simple,to refreshing your network,

*what is mean for Rebooting the phone means to turn off your phone and turn it back on again.

Need Help? Let's chat.