cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call Forward options in phone reporting ”Call settings error” “service unavailable”

Boots
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Just activated yesterday, using an Android LG G4. I successfully ported over my old phone number and set up Call Forwarding if Busy, if Unanswered & if Unreachable no problem.

At the time my phone said the provider was "Telus"

This morning, call forwarding is still functioning as set and the provider now says "Public Mobile"

If I try to access the Call Forwading options in the phone now it gives me a Call settings error: service unavailable. So I can no longer change my call forwarding options. 

I have tried rebooting the phone and the APN is still the same.

Can anyone advise? 

Thanks in advance.

9 REPLIES 9

t_p
Mayor / Maire

@softech 

I've been using that phone since starting with PM. Like I said, I'm looking for another simpler fix than a hard reset or workaround since I'm really in no rush to set up call forwarding anyway.

FWIW, trying to setup with the codes don't work either.

@t_p wrote:

@Boots wrote:

OK, so I have found a workaround, in case others experience the same issue.

Of course factory resetting a phone is never fun albeit that would likely have worked. Instead I found another unlocked phone, swapped out the sim cards and then in the temp phone, I was able to access and change the forwarding settings.

Clearly something is broken in my main phone, but if I need to change the settings again in the future I can easily find a spare unlocked phone, even if it's at a cellphone kiosk in a mall.

Thanks to all who replied!

Have the same issue with LG Phoenix 5. Still looking for a fix b4 trying a factory reset or workaround.

@t_p   have been been using this LG Phoenix 5 on PM? or you just change phone and start using it?    If LG phone was used on another network before and you just insert the PM SIM to start using it .. you might need to do a Network reset.. did you try?

Also, the poster earlier suggest to use a temp phone and put the SIM there to change the Call forward.. does that help ??

t_p
Mayor / Maire

@Boots wrote:

Of course factory resetting a phone is never fun albeit that would likely have worked. Instead I found another unlocked phone, swapped out the sim cards and then in the temp phone, I was able to access and change the forwarding settings.

Clearly something is broken in my main phone, but if I need to change the settings again in the future I can easily find a spare unlocked phone, even if it's at a cellphone kiosk in a mall.

Have the same issue with LG Phoenix 5. Still looking for a fix b4 trying a factory reset or workaround.

duffer900
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@stonechucker wrote:

I don't know why APN settings were offered as a thing to look at.  They have nothing to do with anything other than connecting to the data network.  Calling (and all things related) are not Data, as VoIP and  VoWiFi are not offered at Public Mobile.

What if you put your Telus sim back in the phone, and remove the changes you made?  Does this have any effect on your ability to change the settings?  The best practice is to shut down before removing a SIM.

Who offered APN settings to look at? Other than the OP mentioning them....

I don't know why APN settings were offered as a thing to look at.  They have nothing to do with anything other than connecting to the data network.  Calling (and all things related) are not Data, as VoIP and  VoWiFi are not offered at Public Mobile.

What if you put your Telus sim back in the phone, and remove the changes you made?  Does this have any effect on your ability to change the settings?  The best practice is to shut down before removing a SIM.

Boots

Boots

"Connection Problem or invalid MMI code" error message when trying to use the dial/send option I'm afraid. Plus the variable option in the above link is incorrect.

I also rebuilt the APN settings just in case, but no joy. Albeit the phone is showing "Telus" again, not "Public Mobile" but that is not likely related.

To confirm, if I have issues like this, there are no techs that can fix it on the back-end like there is with Rogers and Telus right? Last time something similar happened it was a problem with the Rogers system, not my phone.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Here is more info about setting up call forwarding.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/call-forwarding

duffer900
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Boots wrote:

Just activated yesterday, using an Android LG G4. I successfully ported over my old phone number and set up Call Forwarding if Busy, if Unanswered & if Unreachable no problem.

At the time my phone said the provider was "Telus"

This morning, call forwarding is still functioning as set and the provider now says "Public Mobile"

If I try to access the Call Forwading options in the phone now it gives me a Call settings error: service unavailable. So I can no longer change my call forwarding options. 

I have tried rebooting the phone and the APN is still the same.

Can anyone advise? 

Thanks in advance.

There are a ton of various issues with the LG G4 all over the place in the forums. Seems that lots of these issue were resolved by doing a factory reset on the device.... 

If you decide to go this route, ENSURE you backup everything before doing it...

Need Help? Let's chat.