cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPO Pixel 5 from Public Mobile with weird phone number embedded

Darksaber
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just got a CPO Pixel 5 from Public. Hardware is great, no issue there. However, whenever I have an app that offers signing in by phone number, I get shown this number, which is not mine. I do not have this number associated with my Google accounts either, so I am assuming it must be embedded in the phone (settings?) somewhere?

Does anyone know how I can get rid of this without a hard reset?

Screenshot:

unknown.jpeg

18 REPLIES 18

carlaspapa
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@computergeek541 

I don't know about that I was basically Google locked me out of my old phone when I did a factory reset because I had no idea what my Google password was my friend had set that up for me like 10 years before luckily my neighbour asked me ia bunch of questions and with my email was able to recover getting into my Google account and reset the password for me but I had no idea how to do that.

@Darksaber wrote:

@darlicious why would google lock my phone if I do a factory reset from within the phone settings? Because someone else's number is still tied to it potentially? First time I hear of google possibly doing something like this.

Google factory reset protection doesn't activate itself when the phone is properly reset from the device's settings menus.  This only happens if someone remotely does a factory reset or if other methods are used such as the recovery system or Samsung's carrier customization process for new devices.

Darksaber

Ah right! I appreciate the feedback! WIll let you guys know what the outcome of my Customer Support Ticket is - I already got an initial response back.

@Darksaber 

Google doesn't really lock it per se but if the original owner does not remove their google account from a phone and telus did not remove it when certifying/refurbishing the phone then when you factory reset the phone the first thing it will ask you when you restart the phone is to sign into your google account. If that is still the former owners account you are basically screwed. Locked out of the phone ( google locked phones for sale are usually stolen) unless you pay a not so above board technician to unlock it for you. Or in your case if the original google account needs removal from your phone a mobile klinik technician can easily do this for you legally and under warranty in a couple of minutes.

@softech 

Oh I'm pretty sure the OP has to get pre-approval for warranty service probably with a reference code for the service to be performed. Given that this is not a repair or defect but a diagnostic/data kind of thing....simple fix just performed by a certified technician it should just be a few minor hoops for the OP to jump thru if there is a mobile klinik/klink ( @Anonymous ...lol!😅😂😆) near by their location.

Darksaber

@darlicious why would google lock my phone if I do a factory reset from within the phone settings? Because someone else's number is still tied to it potentially? First time I hear of google possibly doing something like this.

@darlicious   Within a PM CPO phones, we can just drop by Mobile Klink for support?  or need to arrange with PM first for a support ticket first?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious : Is that what the kids call the dog catcher truck nowadays...mobile klink? 🙂

@softech 

The OP could run into an issue of google locking the phone if they perform a factory reset. I would advise against doing this if this can be performed locally by mobile Klink under the phones warranty.

@Darksaber 

Check for a mobile Klink location near you....

https://mobileklinik.ca/stores/

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Darksaber   Understand you don't want to do a hard reset.  But in this case, you suspected that the phone might not have wiped clear earlier, it is still best to wipe it once more.

Also, if you wipe it, when asked to restore backup, make sure you pick a backup set BEFORE you first setup this Pixel phone. 

Darksaber

The only downside to that exchange/re-order: the Pixel 5 is OOS for the most part & even no longer listed as CPO. And, I don't have a backup phone to use. So I would rather be able to fix the issue on this device.

@darlicious wrote:

@Darksaber 

You may be right or the CSA may direct you to mobile Klink to fix the issue under the warranty free of charge.

Unless Mobile Klinik is very nearby, I believe that it would be much easier for most customers to return the phone and have it exchanged/re-ordered.

@Darksaber 

You may be right or the CSA may direct you to mobile Klink to fix the issue under the warranty free of charge.

Darksaber

I did open a ticket. I feel like this could be something that Public Mobile can't solve - which means I need to return/swap the phone.

@Darksaber 

Yes I didn't expect you to contact a stranger but the Irish being affable folk you could probably have a good laugh about It and someone to have a pint of Guinness with if you ever visited Ireland.

Saying that this is an issue you need to contact customer service about as CPU phones are supposed to be wiped clean of any former personal details. A factory reset may google lock your phone. Contact customer support.

Click the chat bubble at the bottom right corner of the screen and type "CPU phone not wiped clean before resale" and "human" and follow the prompts to submit your ticket via Simple--Simon. Keep an eye on the envelope icon at the top right corner of your screen for a little number to pop up indicating a reply from a CSA. Responding promptly will speed up service times.

Darksaber

I did not attempt to contact that number. My assumption at this point is, that the phone is still tied to someone else's Google Account who also has that number embedded somehow (worst case). Or, that it is a weird setting somewhere (best case), which I can clear (ideally without a hard reset)

So I am hoping to find a local solution vs. having to contact strangers.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Darksaber 

The number doesn't have the requisite number sequence for a phone number. Perhaps just a fake number was entered....what happens when you use "none of the above"?

Edit:

I stand corrected. This is the area code for Ballina in Western Ireland. I guess your phone was formerly used by an Irish national. Lol if you call the number maybe they could confirm they used to own a google pixel 5.

Ballina

Western area (09)
Code Numbering area
094Castlebar, Claremorris, Castlerea, Ballinrobe
095Clifden
096Ballina
Need Help? Let's chat.