cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAN-US plan, shows as roaming in US

Greens
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi all,

I'm currently in Alaska on vacation (live in AB). I discovered Public Mobile tonight, saw the CAN-US plan, thought it was amazing and figured I'd sign up for a month since I'm already in Alaska to see how it did.

I've got the eSim setup and PM service on my phone seems to be working, but it's showing in the top bar of my phone as Roaming service. I'm a little concerned that if I turn data on I'm going to get dinged for it since I'm apparently 'roaming'. Does anyone know what the story is there?

Thanks

14 REPLIES 14

fidomiru

That should be ok as public mobile is a prepay service there will never be extra charges coming to you

Mypubic
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

In NYC att did not connect

cellphoneuser1
Mayor / Maire

@Greens wrote:

Hi all,

I'm currently in Alaska on vacation (live in AB). I discovered Public Mobile tonight, saw the CAN-US plan, thought it was amazing and figured I'd sign up for a month since I'm already in Alaska to see how it did.

I've got the eSim setup and PM service on my phone seems to be working, but it's showing in the top bar of my phone as Roaming service. I'm a little concerned that if I turn data on I'm going to get dinged for it since I'm apparently 'roaming'. Does anyone know what the story is there?

Thanks

It says roaming because you are roaming. Your plan includes roaming.

HI @RSP93 

thanks for testing on AT&T

how about voice did you test voice on AT&T?

@RSP93- I have been wondering about data on 5G on AT&T but Greens seems to have said it worked fine on AT&T. Have you tried AT&T on LTE instead of 5G (if your phone had been on 5G to begin with)?
But if AT&T is not great then just use T-Mobile. Then switch to AT&T if T-Mobile gets weak. They have different coverages.

RSP93
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Greens @dust2dust 

I was just in Los Angeles, my phone automatically connected to T-Mobile and everything worked perfectly, so I tried manually connecting to AT&T and the data worked for the most part. I tried this process again about 10 minutes later to make sure it was not a fluke. Oddly I couldn't connect to data on my 2nd try, the LTE was flickering on and off again. So I truly have no idea what is going on. CS agents have all told me AT&T works perfectly and it is not a issue on their end.

I do have VoLte capable phone

Great news. More and more verification of the return of AT&T. They were inaccessible for over a year. I've been wondering about using 4G or 5G. So looks like it can all work just fine on 5G. Maybe some phones don't switch down cleanly to LTE for calling or something.

Greens

Huh very interesting, thanks!

So I looked under the PM sim and confirmed I'm connected to AT&T. Defaulted to 5G. I tried calling and it worked, texting worked also. Data worked, getting 75 Mbps in the boonies outside Fairbanks.

I can't find anything in my phone (Pixel 7) about volte but I guess it's working if I can call on AT&T? Although that's with 5g too so who knows.

Yes. It's all paid for. Please let us know if AT&T works for text and data and if you can call in or out then that would say that your phone is enabled for volte.

Adding - and try first on 4G LTE. Then for fun try 5G.

Greens

Does this mean that if my service works at all, it means it's included in the plan? No roaming charges?

@Greens 

US Roaming will work in Hawaii but to be sure check the coverage map where you are staying:

https://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/coverage-map 

Greens

I'll likely keep the plan as I do travel to other places in the US and it'll still come in handy. Assuming Hawaii works at least?

Just to be clear, texts, calls, data will all be treated (and charges) as if I was roaming while in Alaska?

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

No such thing as dings here.
Do you know if your phone has been enabled for volte yet? If so then AT&T should work for you for talk. Set your phone to 4G LTE. Turn on that roaming data. Don't worry.
If your phone is not enabled for volte then talk won't work. But maybe you could tell us if text and data work there on AT&T, volte or not.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Greens 

Unfortunately, Alaska is the one of  state in the USA that doesn’t have T-Mobile so it won’t work. There is only AT&T in Alaska.

Should have ask if PM Roaming works in Alaska before purchasing the US Roaming.

Lots of answers on this topic so just contact a CS_Agent by private messaging for a refund credit at:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437 

Tell them you don’t know that roaming didn’t work in Alaska.

Please note that the agents hours are 9:00am to 10:00pm EST so pm them now and they will pm you back in the morning.

Need Help? Let's chat.