cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying a phone on line

chattyCathy
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm trying to buy a phone (in "shop"). when I click on "check out", it asks me to create an account (assuming most people are buying a phone along with a sim card), but also says to enter email & password if "already have an account".

I've done this 5 times now; get all the way to "I'm not a robot", then it says invalid email or account..every time.

I must be really blind too, because I can't seem to "shop" for anything directly when logged into my account; I can only access "shop" from the main Public Mobile page, and as per above, when I get to the point of entering my email, it says it's invalid. Please help as I want to get a new phone soon 😉

10 REPLIES 10

cbenny13

Strange! Are you using your community account or your actual public mobile account? They are two different accounts.

@chattyCathy wrote:

or continue as a guest. It is good to know this now but frustratingly odd to expect customers to know or figure this out during the purchasing process.

@chattyCathy you are not the first, and you will not be the last to get all these different accounts crossed over one another 😂

Public Mobile Accounts:

• Ordering Products: SIM cards / phones (Public Mobile Phone number/account not required)
  • Community (Public Mobile Phone number/account not required)
  • Self Serve (Public Mobile Phone number/account required)

Are there any others...did i miss any!?

chattyCathy

or continue as a guest. It is good to know this now but frustratingly odd to expect customers to know or figure this out during the purchasing process.

chattyCathy

Well, I'm not a techy person at all, so I spent a while checking out the reviews, etc. Went with the Huawei P20 Pro, after I double checked the Google/ Android/ China thing..;) I'm thinking all should be fine, otherwise phone retailers would not be selling this brand.

chattyCathy

and the winner is.....

🙂 thank you, Mayor!

Your confirmation that one's actual account has no connection at all with a "shopping" account did the trick.

Rather than creating a new "shopping account" (which would be just another account to have to manage and remember), I simply continued as a "guest".

Glad I asked, as I had been trying for almost an hour..

@chattyCathy 

Don't use autofill. Enter all of your info by typing it in.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jeez. I refresh. Oh a new post. Click it. And out pops sixteen other answers already there. 😞

🙂

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@chattyCathy 

Your self service account is separate from buying a SIM card/pre-owned phones.  

You will need to open a "new" account for purchasing a phone/SIM card.  

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@chattyCathy wrote:

I'm trying to buy a phone (in "shop"). when I click on "check out", it asks me to create an account (assuming most people are buying a phone along with a sim card), but also says to enter email & password if "already have an account".

I've done this 5 times now; get all the way to "I'm not a robot", then it says invalid email or account..every time.

I must be really blind too, because I can't seem to "shop" for anything directly when logged into my account; I can only access "shop" from the main Public Mobile page, and as per above, when I get to the point of entering my email, it says it's invalid. Please help as I want to get a new phone soon 😉

@chattyCathy Try not logging in and enter your email with the rest of the info.

This purchasing process is not connected to your Community Account or your Self Serve Account.

OR Continue as Guest.

BlueB
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Yikes, sorry to hear you're having a problem.  One thing you can try is to use a different browser, Private/Incognito window, and/or clear your history/cache/cookies to try and start over again.  Sometimes old data/etc will mess things up so I'd try that first (and reset your password if need be!).

Sometimes there are system issues, so you can incorporate the above suggestions after waiting an hour or so in case there's a system glitch somewhere.

One other note - each email address can only be linked to one Public Mobile account.  It doesn't sound like you're trying to activate a new account, but in case you are- keep this in mind.

Goodluck!  Which phone are you trying to get?  🙂

Need Help? Let's chat.