cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bonus data less than I was told

Row75
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello,

I am being forced onto the new rewards program and was told I would get 240gb of bonus Data. It has shown up on my account but it's only 5gb. Chat bot says they never say how much it was going to be, but I have the text message. I did downgrade plans after I got the message, is that the reason?

Thank you 

13 REPLIES 13

Because common sense should tell us that Public Mobile, who is clearly trying to increase revenue, is not going to allow a situation whereby we use the gift to downgrade our spend for the next 5 months. That would defeat the whole purpose of the this forced migration (increased revenue).

I agree that the bonus is worthless to many of us, but I guess they thought they wanted to soften the blow by offering something instead of nothing. I think it's a great deal for $15 plans (5GB bonus = 20x their current data allotment), but will be meaningless to most with higher data buckets (240GB bonus = <5x my 50GB bucket, which I don't even come close to using).

@DennyCrane wrote:

It amazes me the number of people who think they are going to outsmart PM by doing this, and whom at the same time don't bother to read the FAQ first.

Outsmart? How about somewhere on the sliding scale side of trust and naivity?

While I agree on reading the FAQ... In all fairness, not every account got the notifications per text and/or e-mail, and the pop-up at account log-in (which comes on every single time!) doesn't indicate that there are other strings than the 150day expiry attached.

I don't really blame people for trying to actually make use of this oh so generous gift. I argue that 90% of the customers here have chosen a plan that suits their needs and will only use part of their plan data, they won't get to use the gift unless they change plans.

Also. the data add-ons, bought or gifted, used to have no restrictions: They didn't expire and you were able to use them with any plan and change plans to adjust to your usage pattern. There are still people coming to the community who somehow overlooked the expiry part and are surprised that their add-on data has disappeared. Why would the same category of people not just assume that  Public Mobile was actually sincere with this "to thank you for your loyalty" gift? If you've been loyal and just didn't expect the 180 degree turn of the other party in the relationship, you take a gift as a gift, to actually be used.

Putting a time limit on it was bad enough. Tying the bonus data to the plan instead of the account? Sneaky at best.

jimbobs2023
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@Row75 wrote:

Hello,

I am being forced onto the new rewards program and was told I would get 240gb of bonus Data. It has shown up on my account but it's only 5gb. Chat bot says they never say how much it was going to be, but I have the text message. I did downgrade plans after I got the message, is that the reason?

Thank you 

As I understand it, if you switched to another plan since the announcement and/or text, your "compensation" will change as well. 

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

It amazes me the number of people who think they are going to outsmart PM by doing this, and whom at the same time don't bother to read the FAQ first.

@Row75 wrote:

Public told me. Per original post l did downgrade. 

Musta downgraded plans before the Bonus Data was added to your account.

@Row75   From the rewards change FAQ

Will I lose my special bonus data if I switch plans?

The bonus data will remain active unless your account becomes inactive, you switch to a plan of lower value or to an incompatible plan.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/move-to-public-points 

So as already mentioned, you were lucky to get the 5G instead of nothing.

Row75
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Public told me. Per original post l did downgrade. 

golfball
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

If you downgraded thinking they would let you take advantage of the 240GB you're mistaken. It would defeat the purpose of removing the rewards so they remove the data to discourage it.

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

WHO told you you will get 240GB????

$15 plan gets 5GB. Higher plans might get more...

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Row75 

I think you are lucky you downgrade it before they give you the data.  I think if they have given you the data first, and you downgrade it, you might even loss the data completely

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Row75 

those of us on the PM $15 plan only get 5GB's data...seems kinda miserly but that's PM now.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Row75  Sounds like your on the $15 plan . But yes nothing happens the way they say around here . It’s just the reality of PM 

and yes downgrading plans probably why . Infact your lucky you even got the 5GB from what I’ve been reading downgrading mean you would get nothing 

Need Help? Let's chat.