cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Big Savings?

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

How often does Public Mobile have specials? And if a special comes up can anyone even a current user take advantage of that special? 

For example, my sister signed up and she has 8.00 off a month for the next 6 months. Can I take advantage of something like that if it were to come up?

Thanks in advance for your reply! 

16 REPLIES 16

PM's data add-ons haven't been aggressively competitive for years.

They are (generally) lower price per GB than first-tier and second-tier counterparts, Telus/Bell/Rogers, Koodo/Virgin/Fido, etc.

But Lucky and Freedom and even that laggard Chatr often (or at least sometimes) offer lower add-on data prices. Plus "unlimited" "infinite" "endless" data (at slow, slow speeds). They do make you pay up in other ways, though, and they don't reward as well as PM over the long term.

If you're a mercenary always on the hunt for low-cost data then PM's competitors can cost you less. If you're always buying data then PM's low-end plans aren't a good choice. If you wanna stick around a few years, activate AutoPay, maybe get some Referrals and Community bucks then PM wins hands down.

Camera4617
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@BearFBI  Exactly.. I just wonder who was ever paying that price. For that money (30$) I can upgrade plan and have 1GB per month for next 3 months. .. Sometimes you just wonder if they really want to make money or not.. 

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Camera4617 Yeah data ad-dons are useless. For the price you pay you might as well upgrade your plan to a bigger plan with way more data than 1G. I hope they keep the price at 15$ The only thing good about data ad-dons is that they roll over.

@Camera4617  it normally is, but currently it's at half price at $15. It never expires and stays on your self service account until used up. Stay safe. 

Camera4617
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Hi there,

Are you saying that 1GB add on is actually 30$? I just switched to PM and if that's the case, that's way too expensive for 1GB. Even 15$ is already pricey.. 

Thanks. 

kelvarnsen
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

For existing customers as others have said, they will sometimes sweeten the deal with extra referral credits.

Also keep in mind that sometimes they will change the plans, for the better without advertising it. I used to be on a $30 plan, until I saw that the current $25 plan was actually cheaper. 

@mpcdesign wrote:

@Naepalm, maybe they have a new promo called 'Go Back to Work' because of these uncertain times. Typically, the majority it seems it's for new customers, you know, how else can they get you to come over to Public Mobile.

Didn't you take advantage of the recent promo where you got to buy Public Mobile sim cards for $5, originally $10? That offer was over on April 1st. 

I had missed one In November 2019 for promo add-on on minutes, but somehow, got the message about the 1Gig of data add-on in December 2019. I guess you need to check the community once ina awhile to get these. 

The first SIM I ordered was 5.00 then I decided the next day man I'll just order the other two now, and by that time they were 10.0 😞 LOL

The best PM promos are invariably for "new customers only". Existing PM customers can sometimes choose from secondary promo offerings. And are sometimes given extra credit for referrals.

As an existing PM customer your best option to actively save money is to always keep a few PM SIM cards handy for scoring more Referral rewards/credits (which is not hard when killer promos for "new customers only"). While your best option to passively save money is just let the AutoPay and Loyalty rewards add up while sticking around.

I'm wary when PM is used for Koodo migration offers. Some of these can be great offers, true. But they're all about moving you up the chain, getting you to pay more (to get more) each month, and once you port away from PM you forever lose everything you've accumulated on PM. Some expatriated PM folks are now blissful Koodo customers, but there's always others who return to PM as unhappy refugees who've lost everything and must start from nothing all over again.

I'm guessing that the next round of seasonal promos will aim towards low-cost and bang-for-the-buck offerings because covid thing vs economy. Maybe even a $10 plan, maybe Unlimited Talk or a few GB more data attached to all plans with some kind of limitation (3 month or 6 month duration, one-time add-ons, whatever).

The exciting $40 $50 $60 promos with heavy data and US roaming features are not likely to sell as well this time around, people will wanna save money, people won't be travelling to US much, etc. But PM might try sneaking them in.

@Naepalm, maybe they have a new promo called 'Go Back to Work' because of these uncertain times. Typically, the majority it seems it's for new customers, you know, how else can they get you to come over to Public Mobile.

Didn't you take advantage of the recent promo where you got to buy Public Mobile sim cards for $5, originally $10? That offer was over on April 1st. 

I had missed one In November 2019 for promo add-on on minutes, but somehow, got the message about the 1Gig of data add-on in December 2019. I guess you need to check the community once ina awhile to get these. 

@Naepalm  Promotions are almost always for new customers only but they have sent out text message promos to targeted members in the past and free giveaways like the 1gb data add on at Xmas and last August. Recent specials on the 1gb data add on and the sim cards are offered to everyone. Bonus referral credits come up a few times a year and can range between $10 - $25 for referring new customers.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Naepalm 

Providers usually have promo for new activation only.  PM is no exception.

But PM had gave us 1 GB bonus data addon twice and bonus 200 international minutes addon once.  I am happy to stay with PM and looking forward to pay only $3/30days for my $10 50/50 plan after 5 years with PM.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

No @Naepalm  the promotions are for new customers. You could too,  if you are willing to let your current plan go  and start over with a new email and SIM card.  Do the math.  

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

@Naepalm wrote:

How often does Public Mobile have specials? And if a special comes up can anyone even a current user take advantage of that special? 

For example, my sister signed up and she has 8.00 off a month for the next 6 months. Can I take advantage of something like that if it were to come up?

Thanks in advance for your reply! 

Right now 50% off for 1 GB for $15 as an add on. Unused data will roll over.

gig.jpg

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@Naepalm It is up to PM to do promo. Some of them are only for new people, like your sister's case. Some are for current users, like we had give aways of 500min addon and 1GB data for free last year.

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@Naepalm hello it all depends on the special some are for new customers and some are for everyone

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Promos that I have seen are only for new customers. You can check the announcements section and also sign up for notifications.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/Re-How-to-get-notified-of-ANY-New-Promo... I doubt with the current pandemic and most retail stores being closed that promos won't be offered for the foreseeable future.

You could try to get families and friends to register for an account and get a referral award.

Need Help? Let's chat.