cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Better Promotional for 12GB

thymaster
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

If Public Mobile have a better promotional pricing on the 12GB / 90days, I'm sure I can get a lot of people on board. The 6GB just isn't cutting it for most people or worth their time to make a switch. 

16 REPLIES 16

@srlawren wrote:

@kav2001c I do think, in all fairness, that Wind has made a number of network improvements in the big markets in the more recent past.  Also their acquisition by Shaw should put them in a better position to futher build out and improve their network.  But yes, you really can't compare them today vs. the big 3 and their various brands.  The network maturity and coverage just isn't there, especially outside of the biggest population centres.  

Cat LOLCat LOLCat LOL

To the best of my knowledge, Ottawa is the ONLY market Wind has even passable coverage

GTA is awful, so is BC

AB is in the middle

Plus the only LTE bands Wind owns are for phones that do not exist yet (and since hardware has a long lead in we know there will be no "real" LTE coverage next year, despite what some fanboys are hoping

The best carrier to compare Wind against is Videotron, who really has bested them in every way. 

For that matter Mobilicity used to have better service than Wind before they were taken over by Chatr/Rogers

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@kav2001c I do think, in all fairness, that Wind has made a number of network improvements in the big markets in the more recent past.  Also their acquisition by Shaw should put them in a better position to futher build out and improve their network.  But yes, you really can't compare them today vs. the big 3 and their various brands.  The network maturity and coverage just isn't there, especially outside of the biggest population centres.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@thymaster excluding corp plans and some of the secret plans, Public overall has best offerings in Canada for a single user.

I'd point out that there are ALOT of people "excited" over new offerings... besides the circumstanstial evidence we see buzz on other cell message boards & notes mods have made here, one needs only look at the HUGE influx of new registrants on these boards. Everyone of them is a new client, some porting main numbers over, some just testing out network, but this message board is way busier than I have ever seen it (and I have been around since the CDMA days).

Don't mention Wind, most of their network is a joke, and with such limited spectrum holdings even if they ever made phones that supported the proper LTE bands they will be so overloaded their coverage will be just as bad as it is today.

Contrast that to other AWS carriers who have been hugely successful (TMobile, Videotron) so the problem is with Wind itself.

socialcocoon
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Pokemon Go doesn't use that much data. It's about 10MB an hour. 3 hours a day is 900MB for 90 hours. That's not even 1GB.

thymaster

@ellisd wrote:

@thymaster wrote:

I think $155 / 90 days / 12 GB is a sweet spot to attrack a good number of people to PM. I don't see much of an offering to attract people from Wind Chatr, Fido or Virgin at all. 

Some of you here might not use up more then 2gb a month but there are that do and it's critical that PM focus on them as well instead of leaving them out. 

Not going to compare Wind cause their coverage is garbage and sure it's cheap, but I will pay more for not dealing with that coverage again.

Anyways, I still see PM as being decently cheaper than the others. Fido for example, doesn't have a 4GB option, but they have 3 and 5 for 75 and 95 a month respectively.

So lets just say it's 85 a month for Fido. That's still approx 20 dollars more a month for Fido vs PM.

If you are referring to JUST data, then yes I agree you can do better with Fido's tablet plan which ends up being $35/month for up to 5GB.

That's just your opinion. I don't think the plans are great, just ok. Nothing that stands out from the competition. You can compre a Macintosh apple to a granny apple but it wouldn't make a difference to most people. If you differentiate yourself to an orange then people will confidently pick between one of the two. 

ellisd

@thymaster wrote:

I think $155 / 90 days / 12 GB is a sweet spot to attrack a good number of people to PM. I don't see much of an offering to attract people from Wind Chatr, Fido or Virgin at all. 

Some of you here might not use up more then 2gb a month but there are that do and it's critical that PM focus on them as well instead of leaving them out. 

Not going to compare Wind cause their coverage is garbage and sure it's cheap, but I will pay more for not dealing with that coverage again.

Anyways, I still see PM as being decently cheaper than the others. Fido for example, doesn't have a 4GB option, but they have 3 and 5 for 75 and 95 a month respectively.

So lets just say it's 85 a month for Fido. That's still approx 20 dollars more a month for Fido vs PM.

If you are referring to JUST data, then yes I agree you can do better with Fido's tablet plan which ends up being $35/month for up to 5GB.

thymaster

thymaster

@srlawren wrote:

@thymaster sorry I have to agree with @ellisd!  Looking at Fido and Koodo currently, their 4GB/month plans with unlimited Canada-wide calling and unlimited text both cost $75 on a BYOB plan.  Public charges $201 for 90 days on this plan (minus any rewards, but looking just at base price). To compare, let's convert that to a calendar month cost.  $201 / 90 = $2.23333 per day, x 365 = $815.16666666 per year, / 12 = $67.93 per calendar month.  This is a savings of $7.07 per calendar month, or $84.83 per year vs. Koodo and Fido.

Well, it may not be a ton cheaper, but $84/year is $84 per year in your pocket instead of your provider's.

Cheers!

I'm saying "promotional data" to get people excited to migrate to PM. Comparing price plans with Rogers and Fido isn't going to encourage anyone who wants a little more data to play Pokemon Go.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@thymaster sorry I have to agree with @ellisd!  Looking at Fido and Koodo currently, their 4GB/month plans with unlimited Canada-wide calling and unlimited text both cost $75 on a BYOB plan.  Public charges $201 for 90 days on this plan (minus any rewards, but looking just at base price). To compare, let's convert that to a calendar month cost.  $201 / 90 = $2.23333 per day, x 365 = $815.16666666 per year, / 12 = $67.93 per calendar month.  This is a savings of $7.07 per calendar month, or $84.83 per year vs. Koodo and Fido.

Well, it may not be a ton cheaper, but $84/year is $84 per year in your pocket instead of your provider's.

Cheers!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

ellisd

@makkahn28 wrote:

But, that doesn't mean PMhas to focus solely on light-medium users.

12 GB, lets say on Prov-Wide, Global Txt and 12 GB for $186 after $60 Discount 3 Bundle thing, $176-$180 would be sweet spot.

Can-Wide, $201, maybe $185-$190 Range could be about right.

Can-US, $216, $195-$205 would be considered fair

Now 12 GB Stand alone, $150, perhaps I can understand, to a degree.

Maybe $120 could be potentially a sweet spot, or $135 at least, being fair and competitive nonetheless

Competitive with who though? I'd say they are already competitive or beating the competition.

I'm on the 12GB plan and I'm fine with the price. After discounts and such I'm at around $59 a month effectively (over 3 months). For even the smaller companies like Fido/Koodo I'd be paying at least 10-15 dollars more. 

thymaster

6gb might be plenty for you but to me and my friends it isn't enough. Everyone usage varies. New games like Pokemon go, requires more mobile data. Wifi has it's limits. 

But, that doesn't mean PMhas to focus solely on light-medium users.

12 GB, lets say on Prov-Wide, Global Txt and 12 GB for $186 after $60 Discount 3 Bundle thing, $176-$180 would be sweet spot.

Can-Wide, $201, maybe $185-$190 Range could be about right.

Can-US, $216, $195-$205 would be considered fair

Now 12 GB Stand alone, $150, perhaps I can understand, to a degree.

Maybe $120 could be potentially a sweet spot, or $135 at least, being fair and competitive nonetheless

Also, I have 6 GB, and 6 GB Add-On, plenty for my self. rarely go over, or by huge amounts.

12 GB is way too much, UNLESS you're on a 150 Day or 180 Day term

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

They would rather focus on light data users than high data users. 

socialcocoon
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
Who is "most people"? Who can you get "on board"? What is considered a "better price"?
Need Help? Let's chat.