cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best time to activate on PM during current carrier billing cycle

Kovacsa
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi All, I'm switching carriers to PM. I paid for a Boxing Week special plan a little over a week ago and have received my SIM card.  I've been billed by my current carrier Fido through until Feb 3. When is the best time to activate on PM so that I don't lose out on what I've spent on my current Fido billing cycle? ie. When the optimal time to switch? Thanks!

40 REPLIES 40

Kovacsa

Hey @Handy1 @hTideGnow @Sansan  As promised, I'm updated on the outcome of my final bill/credit with Fido.  As it turns out, I was simply credited for the time not used after I cancelled the service.  Seems like the simplest thing to do, and I'm good with that 😊 

Kovacsa_1-1707329939036.png

Jedi1
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

When I can over from Koodo, I received a normal bill due to timing but my amount owing was reduced based on the date I transferred.  The adjustments were shown on the final bill.  I have still had access to the account.  I believe the notice I received I when I transferred is that I would for three months.  

🍿 👀 LOL

The anticipation 🤭.

KOVACSA

!!! LOVE IT!!!

Kovacsa

Switch will happen tmrw, and I will certainly update about what happens with the billing and refund.

Kovacsa

I'm switching from Fido (postpaid) to PM, so I expect to get $$ back on what I've been billed for which is through to Feb 3.

@Sansan  Exactly because we just pre pay we don’t pay in advance LOL 

Now I'm getting confused 😕  LOL. if pre paid gets money back, PM is pre paid. So why do they not refund you when you cancel.?

Kovacsa

Thanks. @Handy1 @Sansan @hTideGnow My sister is switching from Rogers to the same PM plan I purchased.  We're going to do the switch at the same time tmrw.  I'll certainly let you know how it all goes with the switch and billing, refund, etc both from Rogers and Fido.  The community is great here, you've all been very helpful, thanks so much for all your help! 👏

Great point @Sansan.  OP is with Fido , pretty much following Rogers, so we just want to make sure OP not losing money.  

anyway, @Kovacsa Welcome to PM, enjoy the savings 

@Sansanthats great point . If you pre paid (paid in advance ) then yes I think you’re getting money back . But if your post paid and charged for the month you just used and get smaller bill then it’s just paying for what you used . I took a look at that link @hTideGnow @and some there saying they pay in advance . This must be a Roger’s thing . I don’t think that what Telus does and if it does then they certainly owe me money for lines I’ve ported out of there and Koodo heck even bell . But I’ve only ever got one last smaller bill when leaving one carrier for the other . Seems strange to have the two types pre paid and post paid if post paid is you pay in advance it’s all a big smoke screen I’m not sure what I think about this or what to even believe now . But I would truly appreciate if OP updates up after he make the switch if he gets money back or smaller bill 

Kovacsa

It's the same to me in the end, getting a smaller bill or getting a cheque in the mail, I'm good with either.

Sansan
Mayor / Maire

I don't want to prolong this conversation too much but getting an actual cheque  in the mail, or getting a smaller bill next month for the unused amount; wouldn't it be the same thing? The whole point  is that you are still getting something back regardless how you get it? Or is that another conv...?

hi @Handy1 

I am not the only one with a pro-rated billing for postpaid services. this is just one of many examples people talked about that

https://www.reddit.com/r/Rogers/comments/10q75js/i_am_student_who_arrived_less_than_a_month_ago_in/

@Kovacsa glad you will glad your money back 

@Kovacsa  That’s interesting I see here say some of the same but akin mentioned your final bill 

https://www.rogers.com/support/mobility/what-to-expect-after-cancelling-your-smartphone-plan

Please update us afterwards once you port into PM please I’m curious now . Because I’m certain you won’t end up  getting money back Koodo told me same thing when I first came to PM from them and all I got was a smaller bill for the days I used . I mean if you didn’t pay in advance then what’s there to refund ? And if you did pay imagine that’s not post paid . So the language is deceptive like much of the marketing. But fingers crossed you get money back but I’m doubtful I think you know where I stand on that by now either way . Good discussion community and best welcome to public mobile @Kovacsa 

EXCELLENT 👋 

Kovacsa

@hTideGnow @Sansan looks like I got my answer here... 

Kovacsa_0-1705354826898.png

Maybe I missed it, but I don't see any mention of a credit or pro rated amount? 

But no worries,  as long as your GOOD.

@Kovacsa  Yep that’s seems correct and how I understand things . So if on post paid you don’t get money back for leaving early you just end up with smaller bill for the days you actually used . I can assure you when you port in to PM your not going to get money  back on your credit card you will just have a smaller bill then the prior month 

Kovacsa

Hi @Handy1 @hTideGnow @Sansan I reckon this is the authoritative answer to pre-paid vs post-paid for Canadian mobile services. https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/mobile/prepay.htm

no @Handy1 its not the activation fees.  I know my bill 🙂

anyway, best for OP to confirm with Fido first 

I’ve never heard of that before and if you pay  in advance that’s  pre paid not post paid . Did you maybe pay activation fee and that why you thinking you paid in advance . Because even then that activation fee is typically due on your first bill  month after activating on post paid service . Had any one else here  pre paid there service on post paid plan . I’m shocked this makes little to no sense to me and I do think your experience is a typical post paid experience . Hopefully somone can clarify this . Because I know you know your stuff around here @hTideGnow but this seems to be at odds of everything I understand about pre paid vrs post paid 

So with the postpaid they charge you at the end of the billing cycle for that service that you used last month. So example December 15 to January 16. I have to pay for that service I used already on January 27 coming. It's like a credit card. They send you the statement AFTER you shop. 

But if you leave early, they give you back the difference between what you used and what you should have actually used if you had stayed to that date.

hi @Handy1  at least for me? when they charge in advance, they only charge the basic. of course on end od month bill, they will add the Long D or other additional charges 

@hTideGnow  Also with Telus post paid and they charge me each month after I use the service why i also get additional bill if I call long distance because they can’t charge me for call in advance that I didn’t know I was going to make until I made the call . So from my experience post paid means after the fact and prorated the days you use so you don’t get a refund or money back for leaving early you just then only get charged for the day you used before leaving and any additional long distance phone calls one may make before leaving . But in the end if the day @Kovacsa piet over when you it’s best for you because in any even you will only be charged for the days  you used 

hi @Kovacsa 

best to ask Fido to confirm your account, ask them if you get money back if you leave early.  Or just port 5 days before next bill day

hi @Handy1 prepaid is you paid i  advance and no refund.

I used to be in some Rogers or Fido postpaid services that they charge one month in advance, more like an insurance or deposit.   But they will give you back unused days if you leave

Not sure if they still do that

Kovacsa

I've already been billed until Feb 3. Feb 3 is when I'll be billed next.  Maybe someone can jump in here and clarify "post paid" vs "pre paid"

Ok then I’m confused here I thought pre paid means you pay in advance . And post paid you pay after the fact after you use that service that’s why there’s credit check for post paid . ??

Need Help? Let's chat.