cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Basic flip phone - best plan

Anne14
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hey... I want to get my 12-year-old daughter a basic flip phone so she can call/text in an emergency. What do you suggest is the best plan? Really looking for something affordable as the phone is only for emergency purposes.

11 REPLIES 11

Chrissyrioux12
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

It’s free unlimited 8n coming minutes on 15 dollar so she can text whom ever and ask them to call her on 15 plan

smp999
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I would look into Speakout prepaid. Uses Rogers network. You can buy SIM cards and top-up vouchers from 7/11.  Do not sign up for a plan, just activate an account. A $25 top-up will last 1 year unless you use up the minutes, I think it is 35c/min and 20c to send a text, free incoming texts. My guess is that $25 will last longer than a $15/month plan.  You could always move to a higher volume plan if $25 is lasting less than 2 months

Hollister
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Anne14 

You can start out with the $15 plan and change later. Do not get a flip phone. Texting on it will be a horrible experience. If you or someone you know have a Costco membership you can buy phones there. At my Costco they have a MoTo G Play android phone for $159 or lower. You have 90 days to return it for a full refund if desired.

hi @Anne14 

actually, you don't need the smart phone to activate.  You can use the browser activate half of it first.  Get to the payment step and pay

once paid, open ticket with CS agent and ask them to help with the rest od the steps, like phone number or port.  So, when you done the payment step in the activation, please submit a ticket with CS Agent here:
       https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Ha. Good catch @Public204  that part almost slipped my mind. 

So @Anne14 , you will need to download the Public Mobile app on an Android phone or iPhone to get the subscription started. Once you purchase a SIM card, place that into the Android or iPhone and set it up. Once the account is set, then you can slip the SIM card into the flip phone. You should be good to go after that. Here's how btw to set up PM.

How to sign up with Public Mobile

Chalupa_Batman_0-1704226165458.png

Public204
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

If your getting a flip phone you would need a android or a android tablet to download the public mobile app since the activation needs to be done on the app but any android device would do it 

CC_88

Hi Anne14,  the most basic would be the $15/mth plan with 100 Canada-wide minutes and unlimted text. Plus a small 250mb data at 3G speed. Affordable and good for emergencies.

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Hi @Anne14 

There are the two basic plans.

Chalupa_Batman_0-1704224810949.png

I used the $15 plan for the longest time as it was the cheapest and I didn't need unlimited calling. However, that changed and I upgraded to the $25 plan because it was unlimited calling. So if 100 minutes is enough, then that is the best choice. However, if you want her to have unlimited calling so she can call Grama and Grampa whenever...  that might be the next choice. It's all about trial and error. The good news is this. You can choose the $15 plan and if you're finding 100 calling minutes isn't enough, you can upgrade to the $25 plan later at no extra cost. Just need to have it changed for the renewal date option. Hope this helps.

Anne14

Thanks! Sounds good.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

hi @Anne14 $15 plan would fit since you don't need data

Meow
Mayor / Maire

If Internet is not needed you should get her the very basic - $15/30 days plan.
Unlimited SMS, 100 min outgoing talk minutes, unlimited incoming calls. 250MB of data for real emergency (like quick email check, address, etc.).

And then if she needs more data or minutes you can always purchase add-on.

Need Help? Let's chat.