cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BC-Kamloops new phone number not an option

lrhk007
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am trying to move my Dad over to PM and get him a new number but for some reason they don't have BC - Kamloops in the list of available locations to get a new number.  Has anyone else had this issue?  Is there a way to get a Kamloops number? He currently has a Kelowna number with Koodo and he wants to get a Kamloops number so locals don't have to pay long distance to call him.

Thanks!

11 REPLIES 11

lrhk007

Thanks for the replies.  Changed the number with Koodo and ported it over and now my dad is over with PM.

Pier
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@lrhk007

Just call your dad current carrier and ask them to change his number to an area code 250 or 778. Once the number has changed, you can do the porting. That should the easiest way to get it. 

Yours,

WearySky
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@lrhk007 wrote:

Thanks, I just looked at the Koodo account and I can change his number in there and then I'll request a port after.  Weird that they don't have a number available for a city of 90,000 people.

Not really that big of a surprise.  There's only so many possible numbers in a city of that size, and Public Mobile only has access to a certain pool of available numbers.  In this case, other carriers (and existing customers) have snapped up all the available numbers.  Since PM has only been around since 2010, they unsurprisingly don't have access to as large a pool as some of the bigger carriers do.  It'd be nice if Telus shared its number pool across all its brands, but to the best of my knowledge, they don't seem to.

Cambridge, ON is about the same size population wise anyways as Kamloops, and although it's been a "City" since 1974, it's still split into the 3 older towns of Galt, Preston and Hespeler.  Although all 3 calling areas can call each other, not all calling areas can call neighbouring areas, which is insane!

I used to have a Hespeler prefix, and I could call Guelph (about a 20 minute drive), but Galt and Preston could not.  They could call Kitchener-Waterloo (2 cities sharing one local calling area), but Hespeler can't.

Of course, this information may now be outdated somewhat, but there are still issues surrounding it.

@irhk007
Good to hear koodp cab change your number as a mention that's the best option available for you if u need Kamloops number
** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**

lrhk007

Thanks, I just looked at the Koodo account and I can change his number in there and then I'll request a port after.  Weird that they don't have a number available for a city of 90,000 people.

Are there any non-Kamloops numbers that are free calling to Kamloops? In Ontario at least, it is possible when one's specific town is not listed. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

Another way is that find another carrier who has Kamloops number available. Get on their cheapest plan available just so you can take the number and port that to public mobile. 

I just login and try to see what cities do Thry offer in b.c sorry but I don't think they offer numbers in Kamloops

Now I would suggest call koodo and change your father number to Kamloops then port it to public mobile and as a fellow user said if you porting from telus koodo n public mobile use different email address to sign up otherwise you will get system.errot n stuff

** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**

If there's no Kamloops number to select then I think you have 2 option first option call his current carrier and ask them to change your number to Kamloops if possible if they can change then u can just port that number to public mobile
2nd send a msg to mod dept @MarieHelene_L and ask if they have Kamloops number and Thry can go thought with activation process with you if Thry do offer number for this specific city hope that info helps

MoreYummy
Mayor / Maire

Do you see a list of area codes, only Kamloops is not showing?  If so contact MOD about it.

Also if porting from withint Koodo/Telus/PM, if new account, you need different email, otherwise there might be glitch porting without the same system these 3 brands using.

Need Help? Let's chat.