cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are you on a 5G plan?

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

Hi can somebody on a 5g plan do a speed test while the device is on LTE? I would like to know if there is a higher average speed with a 5g plan or if it stays below 100mbps. preferably in the Vancouver and surrounding areas

thanks

||@

15 REPLIES 15

No. Winnipeg. But I took it in my living room. But in all fairness, I live very close to a Telus tower. 

@gpixel Unless I'm right by a tower, I consistently find that 4G performs better than 5G. When right beside a tower 5G is amazing though, it just doesn't seem to penetrate obstacles such as walls as good.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@DennyCrane 

that's perfect, thanks! that's odd that 5g is slower than LTE... I'm assuming its because Cloverdale doesn't have as much 5g coverage in the area you live in. our upload is 💩 though.. I get similar results depending where I'm currently located

chubz
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

New public subscriber so I was curious about this. On 5G plan, set to LTE:

IMG_8731.jpeg

I’m on the east coast though. 

mitchnet12
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Here are my indoor SpeedTest results with my phone set on 4G while subscribed to 5G:

20231115_045209.jpg

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

This is right now at my house in Cloverdale. Note that I'm inside and reception isn't great. You'll note much better speed on the 4G network than the 5G network. I'm on a 5G plan. Also in the past I've shared screenshots where I got well over 200Mbps on the 4G network.

4G:

1000007488.png

5G:

1000007486.png

@gpixel wrote:

@dust2dust 

do you know if that was taken indoors? 

@computergeek541 

Some of the tests in my screenshot were done inside and some were outside.

And you've been reading here that existing add-ons won't work if you get the 5G plan, right? (except if you get the roaming plan)

Adding - data add-ons that is.

I'm going to make the switch. I was debating on switching to the 30gb 5g vs the 40gb 4g. and i would rather have the speed. thanks guys!

Well, looking at the thread that that image was in might suggest it was actually made by someone else that has had their posts removed. But iirc it was done by computergeek541.

Abheer
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi @gpixel 
I did this on Samsung Galaxy S10, it is 4G. I have done a speed test, in SK and inside my home. I am getting 230 to 250 download speed and I am getting 20-25 upload.

@dust2dust 

do you know if that was taken indoors? 

@computergeek541 

@Chalupa_Batman 

ya, possibly. are you in the Vancouver area? was that speed test done inside your home?

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

I don't know if this means anything but...  I'm on Telus and have an iPhone SE 2020 which is a 4G phone. I just did a speed test and I got 206 DL and 43 UP.  Figured it's the same network. Does that help?

Need Help? Let's chat.