cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are you new to PM?

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

I have just become a new user of PM switching from Rogers,  The switch went ok but thought I would post somethings that will hopefully help new users so they don't have to search like I did for the info.

Referral

Remember to get this number in when you register.  You can not do it after the fact which is understandable.  So please if someone referred you make sure you have their number and enter during your registration.

Registration and AutoPay

My registration went fine and smooth until I got to paying and setting up AutoPay *which is a great feature as you save $2 a month just for doing this*.  My issues were that it listed American Express and Visa Debit as acceptable payment methods.  I tried both many time and got the same error.  I verified all my info with the credit card company and it still didn't work.  I had to pay with another credit and then I was able to switch my AutoPay to my AMEX after words.

Porting Number

I ported my number first as I have a separate work phone I could use and it went very well for me and was probably completed within 30 minutes.  You will not be fully ported until you receive a message like this Public Mobile here: Your transfer request has been completed successfully.  Welcome to Public Mobile and thank you for joining us!

I waited to set up my wife's phone as it is her only line and found it beneficial to set it up with a new number and port her number after the fact.  It was on a separate phone so I could do this while she was at work and get her up and running.  I found a great post on this matter

Luddite wrote:

My personal "Do nots” for port-in

- do not request the port-in during activation; take a temporary number, log out, confirm all services are active, log back into your account and select Transfer Number under Change Phone Number

- do not use any identifier except your Rogers account number; it is the best item for any port-in request

- do not make any errors in the Authourized User; this must be exactly as it appears on your Roger's bill

- do not use the your Roger's number as the Alternate Number; use someone else's

- do not forget to click "I am authourized ...." BEFORE you entering your Roger's number (courtesy imm1304)

- do not cancel your account; that will happen automatically

Good luck. If the port-in has not finished within 3 hours create a New Message under the topic Getting Started.

As stated if you still haven't received a message after 3-4 hours there could be an issue.  Remember with this promo there are so many people setting up the system could be overloaded.

If you are still having issues when you create  a thread to get some help tag just one mod they all see it and someone will help you as soon as they can.  Again remember they are a little busy with this promo going.

The biggest thing I can suggest is have a little patience and if you have to wait awhile read through the community here.  There is a lot of info and by reading you will probably not only find your answer but won't have to create a thread that is already started. 

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

16 REPLIES 16

Googlie
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

These suspended on activation accounts have the correct account balance on *611 yet the My Account balance is wrong and the amount due does not reflect the payments made!

Googlie

Hi Rockdaddy22,

Thanks for the reply. But not everyone can do that. If they have paid for service their vouchers/payments should be applied to the plan or their account should show that amount as available. The moderators are inundated with critical service denied requests when a simple program can rectify this for all. Paying twice for something is not cool.  🐵

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
So, top up and you'll have service

Googlie
My vouchers were not applied to my service and my new account is now suspended even though I have paid. There are still major accounting issues. Service should be on for everyone who has paid without begging a moderator. Write a patch against history to get all of these customers active. Thanks.

Glad to hear about more positive switches.  Most people will only post when it is a bad experience and those of us that have smooth transitions need to let people know as well so that new people considering switching will know it isn't everyone having issues

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Rockdaddy22
That's great news, welcome to the PM family 🙂

danlouie
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I ported three phones last week from Telus last week. This is what I encountered:

For 2 of the numbers, the credit card I used went through fine.  However, for the third, the same credit card would not get accepted.  I called credit card company, but they said it was the retailer's end.  So tried, again, still no luck.  Used Visa Debit for the third number and it worked fine.  Will switch back to the credit card later.

2 of phones were iPhones.  Got the email confirmation that the port had gone through.  But the phones with new Public Mobile sim cards wouldn't get on the network until I rebooted the phone with the new sim cards inserted. After reboot, everything worked fine!

For the last phone, it was a Oneplus 2.  This phone would only get on the Public Mobile network for voice and text, but no data.  Even with reboot no luck.  Had to go into Cellular Data settings and choose the Public Mobile APN and afterwards everything worked smoothly with full LTE data.

Glad everything is working and glad to be saving some money on Public Mobile!

Daniel

Rockdaddy22
Users imputing wrong info is a big reason for failed/partial ports. People need to try and make sure to input everything correctly.

Cypm
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

everyone has different experience. mine was not easy for activiating . it took me whole afternoon to fix all the problems i have  and second time i help my friend to port number it was lot of easier,it only takes a few mintures to make everything work. so it was awesome. 

@Alpaca wrote:

Good post! Yep, I also ported from Rogers. Also went smoothly for me although it took awhile for me to be activated. Maybe an hour or so.

I also tried to port a family member. Unfortunately didn't realize their phone was locked to Rogers. :0. They ended up getting a new phone instead of unlocking since the original was old anyways. I didn't see the post by Luddite until later on. How does that work anyways? You just put in another number first to set up? Then you change the phone number?

Anyhow...this is a big lesson learned. Make sure your phone is unlocked before porting or else you'll have cut services with your old provider yet unable to get service with your new provider!

Great point make sure you have a Telus Network or an unlocked phone prior to porting.  Easy way to find out is to put your PM SIM in it it will either start up or ask for a code to be unlocked.

Alpaca

Good post! Yep, I also ported from Rogers. Also went smoothly for me although it took awhile for me to be activated. Maybe an hour or so.

I also tried to port a family member. Unfortunately didn't realize their phone was locked to Rogers. :0. They ended up getting a new phone instead of unlocking since the original was old anyways. I didn't see the post by Luddite until later on. How does that work anyways? You just put in another number first to set up? Then you change the phone number?

Anyhow...this is a big lesson learned. Make sure your phone is unlocked before porting or else you'll have cut services with your old provider yet unable to get service with your new provider!

superscoobydoo

Super easy to setup and great plan!

So far everywhere I have read that has been the final step is getting that message.  I wonder if it is different for Kodoo/Telus customers

UDP7
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I never received any text message from them, but everything works for me. Able to use date and make/receive calls/texts. One thing I am nervous for was when I was porting, on authorization name I thought it meant your previous cell provider name so I put Koodo instead of my actual name, but I don't know, everything works for me.

Louvry

Great post! I just ported from Rogers,  went pretty smooth (I did the port from activation).  I was able to make outgoing calls, text and had data immediately.  Receiving calls and text took about an hour and was working after I received the text stating my transfer request has been completed.  It was an easy experience,  I look forward to saving some money and having a great experience with Public Mobile.

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

Thanks for your lengthy positive feedback 🙂

Believe it or not, patient will always pay off in the end. 

Need Help? Let's chat.