cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are bravos unlimited?

Fishwife
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I can't really answer forum questions.  I have too much to learn and not enough to say.  But one thing I can do, is to study past discussions.

I like being able to give bravos to posts which seem helpful, kind, or positive in whatever way.

Is there any sort of quota I might exceed if I were to give bravos too freely?  (If I hear there is no practical limit on using them, then I will feel more at ease when doing so.)

19 REPLIES 19

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Anonymous 

Looking at that monthly leaderboard what stood out for me is the number of oracles in the top 20. Ever since the leaderboard disappeared from view so has the vast majority of oracles from that list.

@softech 

The contributions by @jb456 were prolific but it was his amazingly extensive knowledge that I admire and his constant curiousity to figure out what the community contained from glitches to hidden tricks and his ability to troubleshoot even the most obscure phones. I wouldn't say he left in a huff....he stopped contributing the third week of January this year after I told him he had already reached 121 solutions for that month and he had recently earned a permanently free account. He's taken a well deserved sabbatical......but I am quite sure he will come roaring back to life one of these days!😎

Here's the last all time bravo leaderboard available for public view....

Screenshot_20200521-021836.pngScreenshot_20200521-021848~2.pngScreenshot_20200521-021903~2.png

@hTideGnow wrote:

was the bravo leader board showing monthly bravos or All time bravos?  How can @JB456 and @gblackma both lead by so much?

This is the monthly shot but you could toggle between monthly and all time.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@hTideGnow   They were on the community forum 24 / 7  times 2!

They never slept, kinda like @darlicious !

Anonymous
Not applicable

@hTideGnow : That pic is for a month. They were wildly incredibly prolific. Seemingly here 24/7. Jb456 worked nights at computers. Not sure of gblackma's employment status at the time.

They had an incredible run of one-upping each other for a few months. Some might say maybe there was some gaming going on but I don't think anything was proven. But we haven't heard much from a few users since then. gblackma just up and dropped off the planet. Jb456 left in bit of a huff.

was the bravo leader board showing monthly bravos or All time bravos?  How can @JB456 and @gblackma both lead by so much?

@Fishwife 

Bravos have been a point of contention for quite sometime in the community but opinions have softened somewhat over the past year. @ShawnC13 makes some good points but ultimately it's up to you to choose who, what, where, when, why and how you bravo other members posts.

I myself have a whole criteria to who or which post I bravo. Generally a post gets a bravo if I learn something new, it's a well written informative post that was thoughtful or personalized, it illicits more info from the OP that helps solve the issue or if it makes me laugh!😅😂🤣

I also like to encourage new or infrequent members to hang out more often and participate so you are far more likely to more bravos from me in the beginning.....then the longer you are here and the more you learn and impart that knowledge helping others is how to earn a bravo from me. So showing improvement will garner bravos as well. Being able to take constructive criticism goes a long way as well. As a community we try to mentor those who are keen to help out for as @ShawnC13  said " The community is only as good as the information and help provided."

I do find it amusing that the top contributors thread has been moved to the lounge cancelling out all of those bravos. I'm sure there will be some very puzzled faces looking at their accounts for their community reward over the next day or so.....🤔! But I fully support this move and have commented frequently over the past year and a half that true regular contributors efforts get devalued when they receive the same reward as those with a few well placed posts. 

Looks like @Jb456 finally gets his wish!😎 To think there are naysayers to @maximum_gato's community wishlist!😃

However just for history's sake we used to easily track bravos with the bravo leaderboard. It was removed from public view in late May 2020 to discourage competitiveness. How successful that was is debatable.....the unintended consequences of this is a lack of accountability with some members possibly not receiving their $ reward if an error occurs and they have nothing to compare their personal stats to in order determine if they were in the running for a reward. Whereas it makes it much easier for others to manipulate the system for their own gain or detriment of others. Sad but true on occasion. 

Here's an example of the formerly displayed bravo leaderboard.....

January 2020January 2020

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@Fishwife wrote:

I can't really answer forum questions.  I have too much to learn and not enough to say.  But one thing I can do, is to study past discussions.

I like being able to give bravos to posts which seem helpful, kind, or positive in whatever way.

Is there any sort of quota I might exceed if I were to give bravos too freely?  (If I hear there is no practical limit on using them, then I will feel more at ease when doing so.)

While it sounds great to just bravo a lot of posts, I think that it actually harms the community.  If you are reaching any set limits on Bravos, I don't see how you are reading, understanding, and evaluating the post to see if it answers the question correctly or is offering sound advice.  Mass bravoing will only diminish the value of bravo's.  Bravoing every post in a thread even if the same answer is repeated 10 times does not reward the first few people who were there right away helping the member.  What it does is eliminate their help if you also bravo someone who says the same thing but hours later.  

Think of the Bravo as a currency it is valuable and has to be treated that way.  Reward those posts that are full of CORRECT information and are made in a timely fashion.  The community is only as good as the information and help provided.  Rewarding incorrect information or people who copy and paste an answer they saw posted in the thread doesn't help anyone.

Welcome to the community and I am sure you will be offering sound advice in no time at all!

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Meow wrote:

Public announcement of 'top contributors' names should be a guide which post to pay attention to as these people are real PM masters and teachers.

I agree that names should be listed. But the rest sounds more authoritarian than I like because the "masters and teachers" can also be wrong on occasion. But that's just me.

@Anonymous wrote:

@Meow : Were you involved with having the Top Contributors thread moved down to the lounge? Those "random clicks" are for the benefit of the poster not the clicker. I otherwise agree with you.

I do not recall or I am not aware of it. Discussions similar as 'Top Contributors' do not increase common knowledge and I try to avoid posting there. Public announcement of 'top contributors' names should be a guide which post to pay attention to as these people are real PM masters and teachers.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Meow : Were you involved with having the Top Contributors thread moved down to the lounge? Those "random clicks" are for the benefit of the poster not the clicker. I otherwise agree with you.

Like everything in life, moderation is beneficial for everything.

Learned from experience and as advised by other members, Bravos are expression of Your satisfaction with the post.

You learned something new, post put a smile on your face, made your tough day bearable - it deserves Bravo.

Random Bravos just for the clicks have no meaning.

haha.. with the speed of the site..  you really cannot change page quick.. 🙂

I don't think many users will go through the settings and change posts per page

Anonymous
Not applicable

If it's permanent that the Top Contributors thread will be placed in the lounge then it all becomes kinda moot. I'm sure we all just banged through that thread clicking as we scrolled. But even that, it takes a moment or two to go to the next page. I wonder if some people increased their post per page setting and then did that and encountered the message.

first time I heard about bravo limit was from a post  about the too many bravos within short time.   I never aware of the bravos limit  per day or per hour until now. Good to know.  

Of course, I have heard about too many bravos from new members on the same person on the same day... oops  🤣😂

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Fishwife wrote:

@Fishwife 

Being helpful, kind and positive is wonderful!

If you feel click-happy be ready to be 'errored out' with too many bravoing in a short period of time. It has been reported by others like this, previously.

Note: it is public knowledge (shown in your "View Profile" settings) of who and what posts you are bravoing, and who bravos you (incase you didn't know).

@Fishwife 

I believe the limit is 20 per minute and a bravo flood is 100 per hour. I have no idea what it is per day but I'll hazard a guess at 1000? If you ever get there please share....🤣🤣🤣!!!

Fishwife
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thank you, @computergeek541 .  Any idea how many bravos it takes to hit those limits?

@Fishwife wrote:

There are restrictions to giving bravos.  There is a daily limit as well as a limit that can be given within a short period of time. There is no reward that is earned for the person giving bravos, so look for helpful and high quality posts to give them for. Giving many bravos can actually devalue the worth of each.

Need Help? Let's chat.