cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any way to check port status?

bruor
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm a freedom user that switched for the promo.  

My account setup had an issue and they pushed it through manually after opening a support ticket on Friday.  I opened a new ticket this morning to ask for a status update and have not heard any response all day.  Is the support team only working during the week? 

Is there any way to tell what the status of my port is? I've received the verification email, my card has been charged and and my auto renew is 3 mos from now.  Outbound text/calling works on the PM Sim (currently installed in an android device) incoming calls/sms go to the freedom mobile device (iPhone). 

The email I received from the support agent said the part can take up to 72h, but the help article I found said up to 3 hours, and the forum says it normally goes through in 30 minutes or so.  Does this mean that my port may have failed and someone needs to manually intervene?  Is it normal for a port during sign up to take this long? 

During sign up I entered the account, pin, and IMEI of the device currently in use on Freedom. 

9 REPLIES 9

@bruor wrote:
I believe during initial registration all information was required because the fields all had stars next to them.

Only one of those pieces of information is required.  For any fututure porting, generally stick with just the account number of the carrier that the number is coming from.

bruor
Looks like they got it handled overnight, just checked the second device and saw the text!

bruor
I believe during initial registration all information was required because the fields all had stars next to them.

Mods have attempted to push the port for me and it still hasn't happened. Support has also told me that they've un-stuck it at their end and escalated it to a technical team to get looked into further at this point.

So far I'm a little annoyed but figure this could be an outlier case since my registration process had problems because I didn't have all the information handy during my first sign up attempt. And then my next 2 attempts failed using my mobile (it kept complaining about invalid regex on the alternate phone number field). I then had to complete it from my laptop at home. I've ported numbers all over the place, in the past and not had this many issues with the process.

Crossing my fingers that they gut this done before Friday when my next Freedom cycle starts.

@bruor wrote:

I'm a freedom user that switched for the promo.  

My account setup had an issue and they pushed it through manually after opening a support ticket on Friday.  I opened a new ticket this morning to ask for a status update and have not heard any response all day.  Is the support team only working during the week? 

Is there any way to tell what the status of my port is?

The email I received from the support agent said the part can take up to 72h, but the help article I found said up to 3 hours, and the forum says it normally goes through in 30 minutes or so.  Does this mean that my port may have failed and someone needs to manually intervene?  Is it normal for a port during sign up to take this long? 

During sign up I entered the account, pin, and IMEI of the device currently in use on Freedom. 

Since your Freedom service is still working, the status of the port must be either one of not yet complete or that it has failed.  Only Public Mobile can provide you any information more specific than that.  Ports usually are completed within a few hours.

I would suggest that, if at all possible, for a customer never to use that combination of both PIN and IMEI.  The reasons for that are simple.  That's 2 pieces of information that can possibly get mismatched.  Also, porting only requires one piece of information about the old account for verification purposes;  providing more information doesn't make the automated computerized process approve the port any faster. 

When it comes to account PIN numbers, customers routinely forget them or mix them up with PIN numbers for other services or even bank and credit cards.  As for IMEI, that is also troublesome because sometimes, there can be lag/delay in the IMEI infromation that is contained in some of the carrier's computer systems, especially when the customer has used different devices on the same phone number.

Stick to the account number, and only the account number in most cases, for the absolutely highest chance of porting success.  (not saying that problems can't still happen, but just less likely)

bruor

Thanks for the quick replies here!  I've reached out to the mod team to see if they can help in the morning 🙂 

@bruor mods do work weekends 

The moderator team works 7 days a week.  They will be at work on Sunday.  The way to contact then is actually via private message.  Tagging is referred to by some members.  All it does is notify them to read the thread.  At the end of the day, they will ask you to connect with them via private message.  I suggest you do that now and they will respond in the morning.  Here's a couple of links about contacting moderators and use of private messages.

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Private-Messages-viewing-and-creating/...

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Updated-Contacting-our-Community-Modera...

bruor

@will13am is help availabe on weekend at all?  Or should I forget about this until Monday?  Is it worth tagging in moderators to assist here?   Are they able to see if the port failed and resubmit it? 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@bruor, when I ported from Wind, I always used account number only.  I never encountered any failures.  As for port time, when the right credentials are submitted into the system, it take just under 30 minutes.  My approach was to always continue to use the old service until it stops working. It's the best indicator of a completed port.  One last thing, welcome aboard.  Enjoy the superior service, I am sure you will.

Need Help? Let's chat.