cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alert Ready Test --- strangeness!

yoggee
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My PM sim card is in my iPhone 5. Previously I was with Fido and received Alerts in my old Note 3. My Note 3 does not have a sim card and I still use the Note 3 for other purposes.

Strange thing was today,  I did not receive any Alert Ready Test on my iPhone but I got an Alert message on my Note 3 instead. I don't have them connected via Bluetooth or anything. How did the Note 3 received a text message when it doesn't even have a sim card?  Last Friday, I received a text on the iPhone from PM giving notice about the Alert

Edit: my bad. Just opened the Note 3 and there is a sim card. When I tried calling, it says not registered with network. But I still did not receive a text Alert on the iphone with the PM sim card. Is the iPhone not compatible? I've been sending texts etc with no problem.

11 REPLIES 11

@RobertQc, I'm not sure where you're located, but I do know Ontario and Quebec tests were cancelled today due to regional flooding concerns, so testing would have been confusion.

I do know you're not in Quebec, as you have previously stated that. <grin>

ipkonfig

I was also surprised when I didn't get the alert in my iPhone 6s Plus. Turns out, the phone was locked on to 3G. I had to manually toggle the Enable LTE button. Well, I learned something new today thanks to this alert ready test..

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

I do not get them because I disabled it.

Yes I know disabling them in the built-in menu does nothing. I did not use the menu.

Psygineer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@yoggee wrote:

@Psygineer , thanks for the info. I went into Cellular settings the the "Enable LTE" was off. I have now turned it on. Hopefully, this is why I didn't get the Alert.

That is why you didn't get it. Next time there is one that is reasonably in your area you should get it. Glad I could hopefully help!

yoggee

@Psygineer , thanks for the info. I went into Cellular settings the the "Enable LTE" was off. I have now turned it on. Hopefully, this is why I didn't get the Alert.

Anyway, hopeful to get the XR by the end of the month and will make sure LTE is checked.

Psygineer

@GR wrote:

You can be on 3g plan but your phone has to be on LTE to get the alert. I searched up iphone 5 and it's not compatible with the alerts so that's why you didn't get it. The xr is compatible! 

Before the S8+ I have now (and my lovely LG Flex... I miss that phone) I had an iPhone 5 and I did get the alerts on it, so it likely is compatible. I remember getting it, I had had the phone for about 2 days, was reaching into my pocket to pull it out to text my co-worker when the alert went off. It startled me so bad I accidentally forcefully dropped the phone and broke the screen.

Psygineer

@yoggee wrote:

I have the $25 1Gb 3G plan, so yes on 3G.

Will be getting a XR so I hope that would be compatible.

Being on a 3G plan doesn't mean you are running it in 3G exclusive mode. I am on the same plan and I get alerts because my phone isn't set to restrict to only 3G. PM uses throttled LTE for their 3G plans, so often times my phone will say LTE on it despite being on a 3G plan. Not having it set to 3G only would allow for the alerts to come through on compatible phones.

While I don't know the button presses to get to the correct menu on your iPhone, on my Android (9) it is Settings > Connections > Mobile Networks > Network Mode. There I can choose between GSM/HSPA/LTE or just GSM/HSPA (or GSM or HSPA only). Unless I have the GSM/HSPA/LTE one checked off, I would not get the alerts. I suspect your iPhone likely is configured to GSM/HSPA only.

GR
Mayor / Maire

You can be on 3g plan but your phone has to be on LTE to get the alert. I searched up iphone 5 and it's not compatible with the alerts so that's why you didn't get it. The xr is compatible! 

yoggee

I have the $25 1Gb 3G plan, so yes on 3G.

Will be getting a XR so I hope that would be compatible.

Was your iPhone on 3g?  The alerts only come on LTE.  I think the iPhone 5 might not be compatible with the alerts! 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I got it on my 8.1 Android Go. Not on my BB OS10.

It sorta makes sense though. A powered on phone can still make 911 calls even without a SIM. So maybe it's reasonable that it would pick up alerts.

The S means Subscriber. Not radio. The radios are still on.

Need Help? Let's chat.