cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activate SIM without a credit card

Yehudah
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi there, I'm new in Canada and don't have a Canadian or US credit card. I wanted to activate my public mobile sim card. How can I activate my PM sim without a Canadian credit card? I already bought the top-up voucher from Shopper. 

15 REPLIES 15

@Luddite   this was what I have been told.  Honest, you know address is not important, I guess some agent might ask but not critical.   Or they might ask just to randomly pick a number from the same province.    I will message CS agent again to confirm .  But maybe you can use your Oracle channel to ask for some official words as well.  Thanks

@softech  or anyone else. To accomplish activation with a voucher, do the agents request ONLY for your name, sim card number, and an email address? That sounds much easier than the online activation procedure. 😎

Good-Vibrations.jpg

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Yehudah

@CountyDownIeUk thanks, I will be careful. 

Yehudah

@LitlLdy That's very kind of you! Canada is multicultural, people are polite and helpful. 

Yehudah

@softech a CS agent has already contacted me. Thank you again! 

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

Buy a prepaid Vanilla (NOT My Vanilla) Mastercard and use it. A $25 card will cost $30. But make sure you get one from behind the counter of a reputable store. The ones on the rack in a store may have been tampered with and when you buy....you actually top up some one else's card. What the "theys" do is put their bar code on the one in the rack. Also another precaution.....see if the bar card will peel off...if yes...it's likely bogus. 

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

@Yehudah- You can also use those visa gift cards that you can find just about anywhere gift cards are sold. (also often vouchers)

@LitlLdy- I used to get blank stares when I would ask about vouchers. Use wording like cellphone minutes or top-ups.

@softech wrote:

@LitlLdy   any Shoppers Drug mark/711/shell/London drug/Canadian tires gas around?   Or check other gas stations, many of them have it.  But remember, vouchers from some places might take 24 hours for them to be active.  So, you might need to get it early, before your payment due date

Also, Canadian Tire gas can do instant top up with a fee of $1

@softech , I think I just get associates that either don’t know how or don’t want to haha. Sounds easier & faster just to keep using my KOHO Card haha. But for my neighbour she needs to get vouchers for her flip phone for PM service or have her pay me & I will use my card. She doesn’t do anything online. Ohhh, Canadian Tire instant top up sounds good also!

@Yehudah wrote:

Thank you, I've heard of KOHO Card for the first time. Maybe this is another option for topping up. 

You’re welcome. I use it for all my online shopping. I only add the amount I want to use at the time. If you have any questions about it feel free to send me a message.

LitlLdy
Mayor / Maire

@Yehudah wrote:

Hi there, I'm new in Canada and don't have a Canadian or US credit card. I wanted to activate my public mobile sim card. How can I activate my PM sim without a Canadian credit card? I already bought the top-up voucher from Shopper. 

@Yehudah , since @softech helped you I wont repeat the same info. 😃

Welcome to Canada & to PM 🙂. I hope you love it here. If at any point you have any questions or concerns theres some great customers on here that are very happy, patient & kind to try to help with information.

Yehudah

Thank you, I've heard of KOHO Card for the first time. Maybe this is another option for topping up. 

@LitlLdy   any Shoppers Drug mark/711/shell/London drug/Canadian tires gas around?   Or check other gas stations, many of them have it.  But remember, vouchers from some places might take 24 hours for them to be active.  So, you might need to get it early, before your payment due date

Also, Canadian Tire gas can do instant top up with a fee of $1

@softech wrote:

@Yehudah   Yes, you can activate with voucher, just a bit more steps:

1. Open ticket with PM support by direct message them:
    https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437
     **Monitor your Community inbox (envelope icon on the top right) after the ticket is opened.  CS Agent will reply to you there
  2. PM support reply and ask you for the sim card number, an email address used for the activation (login for My Account).   
    They will activate the account with the sim card.  The account will have status SUSPENDED. 
    PM Support will then sent you the login and password. 
  3. Once the account is setup, you can login to My Account and load your voucher to finally activate the service. 

I keep forgetting about vouchers! I live in a small town & I keep getting told at the stores by associates that they don’t have them! I think I keep asking the wrong ones haha. I’ve been adding money to my prepaid KOHO Card to add the money for my Public Mobile account & locking the card when not in use!

Yehudah

Thank you very much, I already dm PM support, now waiting for the reply. 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Yehudah   Yes, you can activate with voucher, just a bit more steps:

1. Open ticket with PM support by direct message them:
    https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437
     **Monitor your Community inbox (envelope icon on the top right) after the ticket is opened.  CS Agent will reply to you there
  2. PM support reply and ask you for the sim card number, an email address used for the activation (login for My Account).   
    They will activate the account with the sim card.  The account will have status SUSPENDED. 
    PM Support will then sent you the login and password. 
  3. Once the account is setup, you can login to My Account and load your voucher to finally activate the service. 

Need Help? Let's chat.