cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Abuser breaching bail conditions

Ramshaali
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi my abuser has bail conditions in which he is not supposed to contact me and he has been calling me by turning off his caller ID. Is there anyway I can trace the number behind the calls to report the breach to police officers 

13 REPLIES 13

Jodes79

Yikes! I'm really sorry you're going through that. My suggestion would be to first contact the police, and second speak to a MOD who can help you further. Just make sure you're safe! Thats the #1 priority. Hope all works out for you!

You could set the "busy / declined" conditional call forward to a number that is not in service. Then, when you see that unknown caller and you manually decline the call, the caller will hear "the number you have reached is not in service..." - might make them think it's disconnected and may discourage them from continuing to try...

Here is one number that is not in service that will invoke this message when you manually decline a call. Unanswered calls and call while the phone is off will still proceed to voicemail as usual:

Dial: *67*3065800987#

Undo it with ##67# to have declined calls go to voicemail as usual.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Hi @Ramshaali 

That does not sound like a good situation to be in.

If Public Mobile cannot offer a solution towards a call identifying option for law enforcement, there is one option you might take.

Unless you're very linked to your current mobile number, change the number by going into your self-serve account and clicking on "Change Number" under your "My Profile" section.

You can change a number once every 30 days, no charge, no hassle.   Just make sure after exercising this option that you notify any services you may have which utilize two-factor authentication service such that they may do so at your changed number.

Good luck!!!

@Korth @computergeek541 @kb_mv 

Wow thanks guys! Both @Ramshaali and I have learned a very important tool to bolster our personal security.  i had never heard of this service and i have more often than not heard law enforcement say their hands are tied, there is no evidence, its your word against theirs......now at least there is a way to gather evidence that can help protect the  victim and convict the perpetraitor.

@computergeek541 wrote:

@kb_mv 

Public Mobile doesn't have a system in place to charge for such a service, so I do not believe the option would be available.

@computergeek541 PrePaid completely slipped my mind, thanks!

@kb_mv 

Public Mobile doesn't have a system in place to charge for such a service, so I do not believe the option would be available.

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@Ramshaali 

You can ask Public Mobile to place a call trace on your number. They probably already have this capability, but a formal request forces them to formally acknowledge it. This means that they'll have logs of all incoming and outgoing calls on your number.

They might choose to not reveal hidden numbers to you - because of privacy laws, etc - but they will certainly reveal these numbers to RCMP or courts as necessary for legal compliance. An RCMP case officer can easily obtain these call logs for investigation - and easily identify the caller through this activity - although again the specific information might be withheld from you.

You might want to contact @CS_Agent through private messages. Or communicate with the (Telus) contacts provided in their Privacy & Legal stuff. They might be fully forthright and cooperative. Or they might require a little prompting from a lawyer, unwilling to extend themselves without a real threat of court order.

@computergeek541 wrote:

There isn't any way for the customers to find out themselves who called. Only the telephone company knows that when the number has been blocked from displaying on your incoming call display.  Public Mobile cannot/is not allowed to provide you with that information without a court order or police report, and even then, Public Mobile might provide that directly to the courts or to the police.

@computergeek541 @Ramshaali There is the Call Trace feature *57, not sure if it works with cell phones. There is a charge to a max per month. Below is from Telus and Bell. As noted, I don't know if it works from cell phones but worth looking into for @Ramshaali . If it isn't compatible with cellular, keep track of the calls that come from your ex and file a police report.

Screen Shot 2021-01-21 at 8.25.27 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-21 at 8.31.15 AM.png

@Ramshaali wrote:

Hi my abuser has bail conditions in which he is not supposed to contact me and he has been calling me by turning off his caller ID. Is there anyway I can trace the number behind the calls to report the breach to police officers 

There isn't any way for the customers to find out themselves who called. Only the telephone company knows that when the number has been blocked from displaying on your incoming call display.  Public Mobile cannot/is not allowed to provide you with that information without a court order or police report, and even then, Public Mobile might provide that directly to the courts or to the police.

@darlicious wrote:

@Ramshaali 

His phone number should show in your usage history in your account. Log in. Click on the usage button near the top of your overview page under "my plan" vs the one near the bottom of the page.

Click the date range of 30 days. It will show all your calls and texts in/out. Calls to voicemail will only show your number being forwarded to the voicemail number XXX-587-4001.

Edit: Take screenshots these records only last in your account for 30 days.

As the person making the call blocked the outgoing call display infromation, that person's phone number will will not show up in the receiving caller's/Public Mobile customer's usage history, even if the call is answered.

Ramshaali

I didn’t answer any of the calls

Ramshaali

Hey missed calls do not appear in the records. Is there a solution for that 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Ramshaali 

His phone number should show in your usage history in your account. Log in. Click on the usage button near the top of your overview page under "my plan" vs the one near the bottom of the page.

Click the date range of 30 days. It will show all your calls and texts in/out. Calls to voicemail will only show your number being forwarded to the voicemail number XXX-587-4001.

Edit: Take screenshots these records only last in your account for 30 days.

Need Help? Let's chat.