cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5g

Tonyb49
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi. Just switched from 4g to 5g service, but my phone OnePlus 8pro not showing 5g. Called OnePlus Canada and confirmed that it supports 5g on public mobile . They said it was a network problem, not the phone. Please advise.

4 REPLIES 4

fniwe11
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hey, if you're trying to get your OnePlus 8 Pro hooked up to 5G on Public Mobile and it's not playing ball, it might not actually be your phone's fault. It could be something off with how the network's set up or maybe your phone just needs a quick update. Some folks have managed to sort similar issues by diving into this thing called Engineering Mode to fine-tune their network settings, but heads up, it's a bit techy and you've got to be careful not to mess things up. Also, whether you get that sweet 5G speed can depend on a bunch of things like if your area has 5G to begin with, how your network provider has things set up, and even which SIM slot you're using. For the tech-savvy, there is a way to tweak your phone's system settings with this tool called QPST to kickstart 5G, but just so you know, it's a bit risky and might void your warranty.

Also, here are a few links that might be useful for you:

Enable 5G for Android 11 on OnePlus 8 series and OnePlus 7 5G

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

It's overated in my opinion anyway. At least at the present time. I find that the signal strength/penetration is weaker on 5G, which translates to battery drain. Also you can still get near 5G speed (with a 5G plan) on a 4G phone. I.e. you're still getting "5G" benefit from this plan.

Also note that you could have connected to the 5G network (with a compatible device) with a 4G or a 3G plan. The plan just disctates max speed, not what network you can connect to.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Tonyb49 

It sounds like a similar issue with some older Samsung phones with 5G and is not indicating on their phone.

One way to check is when you are on 4G/LTE. Conduct a speed test to see if it is at 5G speeds.

https://www.kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker/CA/oneplus-8-pro 

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@Tonyb49 While it does supports 5G, not all bands are supported. There is a possibility that you might get 5G only in some area. 

OnePlus 8 Pro 5G bands:
1, 3, 7, 28, 78 SA/NSA - EU
2, 5, 41, 66, 71 SA/NSA - NA
41, 78, 79 SA/NSA - CN
78 SA/NSA - IN

Pixel 7 5G bands:
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 14, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 29, 30, 38, 40, 41, 46, 48, 66, 71, 260, 261 SA/NSA/Sub6/mmWave - GQML3
1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 12, 14, 20, 25, 28, 30, 38, 40, 41, 48, 66, 71, 75, 76, 77, 78 SA/NSA/Sub6 - GVU6C

Need Help? Let's chat.