cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5g speeds on 4g phone?

SlickToxic
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

You have some good plans Lots of Data 

Get better speeds with 5g plan with Canadian lte older phone? Not iPhones s but please help.Like plan and what does it mean Promo?

Any idea how fast? Looking for info to help evaluation with experience.

unlimited speeds need 5g phone and how fast unlimited?

12 REPLIES 12

SlickToxic

Thanks for the knowledgeable information you and many others post! Very helpful. Calling and data good not stellar but still evaluateing. Know what the boundaries are from experiences here and personal usage of.

Honestly the biggest and regular ongoing problem is the 2FA login in systems and repeated incorrect tips can we call them by some Community members

A large repeat offender of misinformation and misjudgment (attitude?) sure you have noticed as I certainly have in only a few weeks has the initials KJA.

SlickToxic

Great Help

@SlickToxic wrote:

Can Public Sim be used in router? Rogers lets Sim be used in hot pot or phone for calls. Doesn't wear battery away.

150 would be more than needed .Works faster in phone but not in hot spit.

Is Promotional 50gig plan price variable?

What are the unlimited speeds mentioned? Good for video calls or basic quality viewing?

1. Yes.
2. There would always be some loss going through a hotspot.
3. The plan prices are almost always forever, until they're not.
4. I think I saw elsewhere someone mention that there are two things here, speed and plan data. Unlimited plan data means that the speed gets throttled down.
5. As mentioned elsewhere, I certainly wouldn't do video calls on that throttled speed.

@Chalupa_Batman wrote:

If the phone is not a 5G phone, then no. It's like asking to get water from a stone. LOL.

Your phone must be 5G compatible. Check Google.

It's best you pick a 4G plan for now until you upgrade your phone. But really, 4G speeds are still pretty decent. It's all about trial and error. 

Dennycrane has provided some insight in this. There is absolutely no requirement to have a 5G network capable phoens to use the full speeds of Public Mobile's 5G plans. This is because the the LTE network is acutally capable of much faster speeds than even the advertised 5G plan speed of 250Mbps.  The websites in Google's search results aren't aware of that information.  All those search results really say is how a 5G compatible phone is required to use a 5G network, but once again, the 5G network isn't required for full 250Mbps speeds at Pubilic Mobile.  When it comes to the disclaimer that Public Mobile provides about needing to be connected to a 5G network to get those speeds, Public Mobile has unfortunately been circulating incorrect information.

@SlickToxic 

Yup!

AM

SlickToxic

Not Great Signal but about to break the speed limit!

6:16 am or pm test time?

Thanks Again

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

Here is a speed test I did yesterday with a 5G plan, but connected to the 4G network. I.e. you don't necessarily need a 5G phone to get PM's version of 5G speed (up to 250Mbps).

Screenshot_20230813-061617.png

SlickToxic

What do I google for?

SlickToxic

Can Public Sim be used in router? Rogers lets Sim be used in hot pot or phone for calls. Doesn't wear battery away.

150 would be more than needed .Works faster in phone but not in hot spit.

Is Promotional 50gig plan price variable?

What are the unlimited speeds mentioned? Good for video calls or basic quality viewing?

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@SlickToxic 

What phone do you have?

PM's 4G speed plan has a capped speed of 100Mbps while 5G speed plan as a top speed of 250Mbps

You will get some speed benefit on a 5G speed plan even you only have a 4G/LTE phone without 5G capablility as your speed will no longer be capped at 100Mbps.  The exact speed you will get depends on your phone, some got speed like 150Mbps without problem.

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

If the phone is not a 5G phone, then no. It's like asking to get water from a stone. LOL.

Your phone must be 5G compatible. Check Google.

It's best you pick a 4G plan for now until you upgrade your phone. But really, 4G speeds are still pretty decent. It's all about trial and error. 

JRod
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

5G plans will allow you to have faster speeds but you can only go as fast as your phone and plan will allow you to. If your phone doesn’t support 5G I’d say stick to 4G plans as you’ll be paying more and not seeing the full speed benefit of 5G. You can always upgrade your plan on the next month if you ever plan to upgrade your device to one that supports 5G. 

Need Help? Let's chat.