Did you mean: 

5g and volte using galaxy s23 ultra

Dennissauve
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

How can i tell if 5g and volte enabled on my galaxy s23 ultra

8 REPLIES 8

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

To test VoLTE temporarily turn wifi off, then ensure you're connected to either 4G or 5G. Then make a phone call and watch the top of your screen to see if you stay connected to 4G/LTE or 5G; if yes, you have VoLTE; if no, it'll drop to 3G when you make a call. Your phone should have it though.

As for 5G, you may have to go into your phone settings and change your preferred network to 5G. It's also possible there isn't 5G coverage where you are right now.

Also don't think that just because you have a 5G plan that you need to connect to the 5G network. I have a 5G plan but I actually use 4G preferred most of the time because I find the speed to be faster and more reliable. That's just me though. But as others have said, you can still get more than 100Mbps on the 4G network with a 5G plan.

Great. I would take the suggestion mentioned and leave it on 4G LTE. You'll get the speed of the plan but save some battery. If you're worried about these kinds of things 🙂

Dennissauve

Thanks for the quick reply, that did confirm my settings

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

You should be able to se VoLTE option in your phone's settings. Even though your phone might be VoLTE compatible it does not mean options will be there. My phone is compatible but I do not see that option (yet) (S10).

HI @Dennissauve 

if your speed on LTE is good enough, like more than 100Mbps (can be as high as 200+) you can leave it on LTE to save battery

but if you like, change the network mode to 5G and test again.  or download some app to force 5G

and try in different area, some phones do auto swtich back to 4G to save battery 

Add: for app, NetMonster can force 5G only

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Can you choose 5G in your network mode settings? If so then select it and then turn on data and see if you get a 5G indicator in the top bar.
Then make a call and stay on it and go to settings, about phone, status information, sim card status - and look at what it says for mobile voice network type. Does it say LTE or does it say UMTS? Remember this is all while staying on the call. If LTE then you have volte.

Dennissauve

But I don't see 5g symbol in status bar at top of screen

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Dennissauve 

yes, for S23 Ultra, 5G and VoLTE both work on PM

Need Help? Let's chat.