cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G

muffin_top
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Is it true that Public Mobile 5G is different from say Telus/Rogers/Bell 5G?

10 REPLIES 10

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire

Actually Telus is the only one from the Big 3 that I haven't seen with a 5G+ icon yet. On Rogers and Bell, the icon is currently only showing when n78 is being used.

@sheytoon wrote:

PM subscribers can use n78 if their phone supports it. There is no restriction from the network.

However, many popular phones will treat a Telus SIM differently than a PM SIM. You will likely not see 5G+ icon, even if you are using n78.

@sheytoon 

so, Telus offer its 5G+ service solely on n78?

@sheytoon wrote:

PM subscribers can use n78 if their phone supports it. There is no restriction from the network.

However, many popular phones will treat a Telus SIM differently than a PM SIM. You will likely not see 5G+ icon, even if you are using n78.

A good example is how some 5G compatible Samsung devices from a fear years ago have the software disable 5G networks whenever a Public Mobile SIM card has been inserted.

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

My Telus 5G+ plan is up to 2Gbps, whereas PM offers up to 250Mbps. Having said that, I've never personally experienced much faster than 250Mbps on Telus.

1000009268.png

@gpixel wrote:

@muffin_top 

yes

PM only has access to the slower bands for 5g. Telus has higher frequency bands(3500mhz n78)

@gpixel 

i don't think that is true.  From what I understand, PM can use n78 , just that your phone need to support b2_n78 combo

would be nice if @sheytoon can confirm about n78..

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@muffin_top 

yes

PM only has access to the slower bands for 5g. Telus has higher frequency bands(3500mhz n78)

Sony16
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Only thing that will be different is that Telus/Bell/Rogers will also offer 5G+.

Andy85
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Hi @muffin_top,

PM uses the exact same networks as Telus and Bell depending on the location 🙂

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@muffin_top 

PM uses the same 5G network as Telus and Bell, so, it's same

With Rogers, the 5G bands are different

Need Help? Let's chat.