cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G data speeds too slow to use DoorDash on VolTE compatible iPhone

Witless101
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, I have a 2022 iPhone SE which i am using in courtenay BC, recently I’ve purchased the 30g for $45 plan and i am so freakin’ annoyed to find out that somehow this plan I’ve just bought has data speeds/connectivity that are actually inferior to what I was getting on Chatr after using up all my Chatr data. Even at 2 bars it will usually either fail to load a screen or something else. Since I am a doordash driver i need a stable data connection, and so now I just want to know whether I am able to fix this or if I can get a refund 

5 REPLIES 5

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

Chatr = Rogers & Public Mobile = Telus. Each network will have different coverage; each better in some areas where the other is not.

My simple solution would be to try and force your preferred network settings to 4G/LTE on your phone. I do that and find that I get a much more consistent experience. Just because you're on a 5G plan doesn't mean you have to use the 5G network. The 4G network is more mature, and you can still get greater than 4G 100Mbps speeds with your 5G plan.

Kristinab
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have the same plan and I haven’t had too many issues with the service while doing Doordash, or any courier apps. I do find your apps need to be updated regularly and your phone as well. Also it depends on the area you are in. In certain areas I find the Doordash app always crashes or glitchs, but it does correct it self.

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

@Witless101 wrote:

Hi, I have a 2022 iPhone SE which i am using in courtenay BC, recently I’ve purchased the 30g for $45 plan and i am so freakin’ annoyed to find out that somehow this plan I’ve just bought has data speeds/connectivity that are actually inferior to what I was getting on Chatr after using up all my Chatr data. Even at 2 bars it will usually either fail to load a screen or something else. Since I am a doordash driver i need a stable data connection, and so now I just want to know whether I am able to fix this or if I can get a refund 

I'm an Android person but my first line of defence would be making sure to have the latest OS and app updates, do a device restart, if that doesn't help, a network reset ( you'll need to sign into saved WiFi networks again after this).

Edit #2: It might also be worth trying to force your phone to LTE instead of auto - as far as I can tell 5G can still be less consistent than 4G LTE, and, possibly, if your phone is often switching back and forth between the two depending on signal availability and strength, it might influence the loading of your app.

Adding: Rereading the title of your post... Your problem is with the Doordash app, yes? I don't see the connection to VoLTE?

In my experience, there are varying inconsistencies with all networks, depending on where you are in the Comox Valley... I used to live near Puntledge Park and Fido/Rogers data thoroughput was abysmal. Freedom was ok as long as I was in what they consider their home network, cross the road and they switch you to nationwide. While not personal experience, I have friends on Virgin/Bell in the Arden/Cumberland Rd area and they have gone back to having a landline since their iPhones are missing 9 out of 10 calls when at home. I recently moved out to Lazo, and PM/Telus is still the best of the bunch, although I hardly ever get full bars and it feels like I can tell when everyone gets off work at CFB Comox... 

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

First - forget about refund. PM being pre-paid does not provide refunds on subscriptions.

Second - could be doordash server issue? Could be app issue?
Did you do any speed test with your PM service?
Did you do any speed test with Chatr service?

softech
Oracle
Oracle

hi @Witless101 

can you explain what you meant by "actually inferior to what I was getting on Chatr "?

do you have both PM and Chatr sim on the same phone? if you do, you just need to change the primary data sim from Chatr to PM using the sim manager on the phone

Need Help? Let's chat.