cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G compabile devices

Mepew
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

does someone have full list of 5G compatible devices that would work in PM network?

I checked VoLTE list - it's not exactly what I'm looking for.

Thank you.

9 REPLIES 9

Mepew

@wetcoaster thanks for insights re: Xperia 5 IV.

@wetcoaster wrote:

This is a BYOD provider. They really should just get rid of the stupid white list. If a phone is VoLTE /5G capable it should have access to the technology provider side, period.

Many agree with this point, but that's not enough. I guess PM won't do much until they see significant income/reputation risk in cutting off a big percentage of devices of their network.

@Mepew wrote:

@computergeek541  Call might go through 3G network - how do I know it went through VoLTE? Is there any way to clearly determine that?

I managed to take a look at Samsung S21 which is 5G compatible, global version, not Canadian: VoLTE setting is enabled and grayed out, so no way to change it. Does it mean it supports VoLTE?

The easiest way to check this would be turn off Wi-Fi, so that your phone shows the network type that is being connected and then make a phone call.  If you're using VoLTe at that moment, your device your S21 will either show an LTE or 5G indicator.

Mepew

@computergeek541  Call might go through 3G network - how do I know it went through VoLTE? Is there any way to clearly determine that?

I managed to take a look at Samsung S21 which is 5G compatible, global version, not Canadian: VoLTE setting is enabled and grayed out, so no way to change it. Does it mean it supports VoLTE?

@Mepew wrote:

Thank you. Do you know if global, not Canadian versions of phones in their VoLTE list would work in PM network provided those phones support required frequencies?

I'm fairly sure that VoLTE will likely only work on white listed phones (as much as I wish it wasn't so. We can only hope that the restrictions will be lifted at the actual sunsed of 3G... but to be honest, I don't hold my breath). As for 5G... I can't recall any reports that indicate either way. 

Just a note, since I'm not sure if you're aware of it: You don't need a 5G capable phone to take advantage of the 5G plans. The 3G/4G/5G designations of the plans refer to the speed cap (3mbps/100mbps/250mbps respectively). If you are on a 5G plan it's possible to reach the 5G speeds even if it's delivered over the 4G/LTE network (obviously actual speeds depend on various factors like distance to and load of the tower etc...)

@Mepew wrote:

Thank you. Do you know if global, not Canadian versions of phones in their VoLTE list would work in PM network provided those phones support required frequencies?

There isn't any way to know unless trying to phone at Public Mobile.  Not only does the phone have to be VoLTE capable, but Public Mobile has to choose to allow VoLTE to the specific device.

Mepew

@Mepew wrote:

I believe those are 4G VoLTE-supported devices, not 5G supported, and I guess the latter list differs from the former?

I'm looking for 5G supported devices specifically.

As for model, I consider different options, e.g. some new of Sony Xperia (Global models, not Canadian),  but I'd like to see the full list of options.

A friend of mine has an Xperia 5 IV. They had VoLTE for something like 3 weeks in March (?) when Public Mobile updated their 6+ year old account, but then PM took VoLTE away because Sony devices are not on their white list. CSA told them to "get a compatible phone" (meaning buy a Telus device). Access to the 5G network also seems to be blocked (tested in areas where their partner's IPhone 13 connects to 5G...)

This is a BYOD provider. They really should just get rid of the stupid white list. If a phone is VoLTE /5G capable it should have access to the technology provider side, period.

Mepew

I believe those are 4G VoLTE-supported devices, not 5G supported, and I guess the latter list differs from the former?

I'm looking for 5G supported devices specifically.

As for model, I consider different options, e.g. some new of Sony Xperia (Global models, not Canadian),  but I'd like to see the full list of options.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Mepew 

this list here is as good as you can get

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/volte

but i was also told, the newer models of those on the list are all compatible too

what phone you have?

Need Help? Let's chat.