cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G Plan but no 5G signal

Mendo_112
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I signed up for the $34 5G plan with 40GB data but I'm not getting 5G signal. It still says lte. I'm coming from a Rogers 5G plan and got 5G no problem with them. I literally tried everything with the settings so it's not that. My girlfriend has the exact same plan and she's able to get 5g while I'm still getting lte. We did the speedstest and hers is twice as fast. I have a samsung note 20 ultra and she has a samsung galaxy 21 ultra. 

7 REPLIES 7

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Mendo_112 , the 5G designation on the plan you bought is in reference to the speed throttle not network access.  Even customers that have a 3G speed plan can access the 5G network provided their phone is in the whitelist.  That said, the lack of 5G network access should not have a material impact on your overall data experience.  

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Mendo_112  And @Flameotter  yes Samsung s20 knows issue for getting 5G option but there is a work around if you ok with flashing the firmware on the phone have a look at my thread about it here 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Samsung-s20-5G/td-p/1043088

Flameotter
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Wait. I have been eyeing a Samsung phone. Are Samsung phones locked out of the Public Mobile 5G network?

What is going on? Good to get this information beforehand. I am interested in the Samsung A54 or the S23 Ultra...

Thank you.

Glad I don’t own one.

Is its any consolation @Mendo_112 , your device may consume  less battery power utilizing the 4G/LTE network vs the 5G 🫤

@HALIMACS 

Even Telus-sold Galaxy S20 series devices have this restriction. Whether or not Telus/Public Mobile requested this or if Samung did this on their own, Cansdian models of these devices don't allow the customers to enable 5G networks, but to my knowledge, this only happens s when a Public Mobile SIM card has been inserted.

Why would Samsung do this @computergeek541 ?

Or does it apply to other similar carriers as well or perhaps because they supply the device to Rogers as part of a purchase agreement.

@Mendo_112 , did you get the device through a prior arrangement with Rogers?

Sorry, but this is a software restriction. The phone was programmed by Samsung to not allow your model to use a 5G network if a Public Mobile SIM card has been inserted.

Need Help? Let's chat.