cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G Connection no longer available on my Phone since switching over to PM

BillWil
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have a Samsung Galaxy S20FE 5G that I just switched over to PM on a 5 G plan. 

I am no longer able to connect to 5G.  I go into my mobile connections and the 5G option isn't there anymore.  It used to be and with my previous provider, it all worked fine.  Any suggestions?  I've tried resetting, removing and reinstalling the Sim, I switched to LTE/WCDMA/GSM (auto connect) network mode and now have 4G, but as I say the 5G option has disappeared? 

4 REPLIES 4

BillWil

thank you

BillWil

Thanks, not exactly what I wanted to hear, but thank you

fixin
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@BillWil - 4G LTE is just as good as 5G. 4G LTE can even get upwards of max 500mbps speed with TELUS 5G 2GBPS!

But 5G is mainly just 4G LTE radio access 5G NSA with 4G. So you won't experience degraded calls at all (If your phone supports VoLTE.) You can get upwards of 250mbps running a Speedtest. 5G can get higher marks on an uncapped plan, but LTE just does the job correctly.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@BillWil 

it is a known issue that S20 series does not work well with PM or Koodo, mainly because it was blocked on the OS level, an agreement between Telus and Samsung because both Koodo and PM did not have 5G support when S20 was introduced.  Yes, PM and Koodo both supporting 5G but it is too late and Samsung no longer update the OS to allow the phone to use 5G on PM

But even with you connected on LTE, your speed shoudl still be as good as you are on 5G network (close to 200Mbos)   Please try "Reset All networks" on your phone first, and also test the phone in different area

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Samsung-s20-5G/m-p/1043676#M728790

Need Help? Let's chat.