cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G Add-on

jafi
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am a low volume data user, under 1GB a month, with a 4.5 plus 0.5 GB plan. I am buying a Samsung S22 which supports 5G. Has TELUS given any indication that they may offer the company's Public Mobile subscribers a 5G service add-on?

7 REPLIES 7

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@jafi 

As noted by others, PM is the lowest tier of Telus and will not have 5G…only 3G and 4G/LTE.

Only offered by Telus, Bell, Rogers and Videotron.

If you are a lower data user, why would you need 5G? It is like a super car with passenger tires. 😉

Currently 4G/LTE is faster than 5G indoors. 5G is only good outdoors to take advantage of the higher speeds.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@jafi 

As a low data user why would you even want 5G data speed? 5G is being implemented for business use that needs exceptionally fast data transfer its not meant for the average user except for bragging rights and for providers to line their pockets with more of your money. Newer phones have 5G capability so that the consumer has that choice but it is not needed.

The bigger question is if you use an average of 1gb of data per month why are you paying for 5gb unnecessarily? There are no overages or extra billing at pm if you used up all of your plan data on the $25/1gb data plan you could purchase the $15/1gb data add on to supplement the plan data of the $25 plan.

The $15/1gb add on along with all other pm add ons except the 10 day US roaming add ons are one time purchases that do not expire. They simply roll over every 30 days to supplement your plan data when it runs out....if it runs out. By scheduling a change plan on next renewal to the $25 plan you will save $15 every 30 days. That can add up to considerable savings over a year ($180) that the occasional purchase of a $15/1gb data add on would be more than offset. If you find you are exceeding 2gb of data every month then changing to the $35/3gb plan would still net you a yearly savings of $60.

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

umnikke8
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I would guess Public customers will be able to access 5G sometime in the (distant) future but with speeds remaining capped at same rate. Seeing as they now have speed caps on plans at Telus and Koodo, likely the trend continues.

LeePublic
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

5G is currently being used as a marketing tool for the top-tier carriers as they want those who want 5G plans to be paying a premium of say $80+ per month. Those who are price conscientious don't care about that as they are trying to minimize their wireless costs. 

@softech wrote:

At the moment, PM probably looking into getting rid of 3G and using Volta but no schedule for this either.  I think 5G is far far away

Did you mean VoLTE?

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@jafi No, no indication yet. We are still using a mix of 3G (for voice) and 4G ( for data)

At the moment, PM probably looking into getting rid of 3G and using VoLTE but no schedule for this either.  I think 5G is far far away

updates for typo.. thanks @Meow 

Meow
Mayor / Maire

I would not expect from PM being 3rd tier mobile provider to have 5G anytime soon.

Why would you need 5G anyway?

Need Help? Let's chat.