cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

59 dollars freedom plan should I port to pm

Nsk143
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville
I am on 59 dollars plan with 35% off discount lifetime paying right now around 38ish dollar
For a plan include unlimited Canada USA calling global text 8gb data
2400 roaming min away and USA
1gb roaming data usA and away

Should I move to pm
Since its only 4gb with province wide what do you guys suggest
21 REPLIES 21

Agreed its simple if followed properly
** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**

Wonder_why

Porting to PM is a breeze, if you followed the instruction carefully

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/How-do-I-move-my-cell-phone-number-to...

chung01
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

How to get this plan without risking your own number

1) Go to Freedom and sign up a number
2) Port your Freedom number to Public Mobile
3) After you get the plan, port your real number over

How Province-wide talk works: https://productioncommunity.publicmobil ... /true#M257
When in your province:
All calls made within your province are free
All calls received from anywhere are free
Any calls made to anywhere outside your province require a long distance add-on ($8 for 200 mins and $15 for 400 mins (includes international LD to 18 countries), add on never expires until you use it all up)

When outside your province
Calls made to whichever province you are in are free
INCOMING Calls all over Canada may be free. I used phone travelling outside the province and incoming calls worked for 3 weeks without add-on but PM forum has conflicting views.
Outgoing in the province you are travelling is FREE. Calling outside the province needs add-on: about 4cents/min (200/400 min for $8/$15), this add-on rolls over - never expires

SMS and Data have no provincial restrictions. You send/receive text and use Data anywhere within Canada. Province Wide only applies to voice calls.

Public mobile also offers US roaming option - Packs for 10 days cost: 
$8 for text only OR talk only; 
$15 for talk+text and 
$20 for talk+text+data (250 MB). 
Data only for 10 days is $10-250 MB; $15 - 500 MB and $20 - 1 GB 

QTPie
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
Well I went to do maintenance at Honda last month and they didn't have guest wifi in the waiting room so I spent an hour watching the kids program that they played on their tv.

In the end you have to decide what matters to you more, quality or quantity. For myself, it wouldn't matter if wind gave me unlimited everything. What good does it do when you got a submarine full of nukes if you don't have the launch codes.

DJLiut
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin
I just switched from FM and am loving PM!

I had a porting hiccup but it was resolved fairly quickly.

I had horrible reception and data issues. My iPhone was barely usable on FM. Download speeds of 3mb if lucky and spotty reception. My plan worked better when roaming which reminded me of how wireless service should be.

That being said if you have good reception and data rates plus you travel to USA then I wouldn't switch.

For me it was a no brainer and I'm happier for it.

Mana
Mayor / Maire

@Nsk143 You should ask yourself with freedom service:

- does my service really work when I need it the most?

- do I get frustrated and want to break the phone when my service doesn't work(when I need it the most)?

- every time I look at your phone, do i just hope that my service will work when i need it the most?

- I am very surprised when my service does work?

if the answer to any of the above is yes, then it's time to switch to PM. 

jeffster1970
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Nsk143 wrote:
I am been with freedom since 2010
But currently I am asking LG g6 lte enable phone reception is not bad as before lte speed around 80 mbps and lots of improvement. Just not sure should I move or not according to this forum there s lots of issues with porting as well.

If you connections are good enough, you should probably stick. My phone didn't do LTE on Freedom, and I had a lot of roaming happening. And when in roaming, it took a few minutes to register (so I'd miss calls).  And at times, it wouldn't go back to Freedom when back in zone. 

I am in Kitchener and LTE arrived just last week for Freedom. My sons phone does LTE. We'll see how it works. It's 15 times faster than my Freedom (during good times), but slightly slower than PM. 

I went onto PM because I wanted a connection everywhere, along with better speed. Under 1 Mbps wasn't cutting it. PM so far in the 6 days I have had it, has been really, really good and fast. No complaints. Works well everywhere. 

Just remember, with Freedom, it is unlimited data (slowed down after you reached your max, for you, 8GB). For PM, is 12GB every 90 days. No slow downs. Once you used 12GB of data, your data stops. So get used to using 4GB every 30 days, roughly. 

Anyway, just my 2 cents worth. 

Samianauman
Mayor / Maire
I would suggest the same as other if freedom have good coverage in your surrounding then stay with fm.
** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**

You'll need to decide what is more important to you.

U.S.A. roaming, Canada-wide+US-wide calls while in Canada, and having more data

or

network reliability

That's all it really comes down to. Freedom's price plan is fantastic but the network is currently trash. You would really be hoping that the network improves im you stayed with Freedom.

Shutdown

If your home area is ok then FM is better since you have US/CA roaming on your plan, so coverage will be same. If your home coverage is crap then it's up to you which one you prefer.

neatooo

I wouldn't wait that long. What's making you consider moving to PM?

neatooo

Porting is not an issue at all in my experience. It took me about 30mins tops, and I was on the PM network. I would consider the following:

FM pros:

higher data cap

unlimited Canada/US calling in FM zone

Tab

Physical stores, corporate stores will change sims for you for free if you are having problems

mobile app on ios and android

Data speed is slow once you use it up

FM cons:

network can be spotty

limited minutes and data in away zones

poor in door reception due to higher frequency

No visual voicemail

PM pros:

Better network coverage

Better indoor reception

Loyalty reward can take off $1/month on for every year upto $5/month

Referrals can lower your months bill to $0

Community participation can earn you upto $10/month

PM cons:

no tab

data is stopped once you use it up, you can buy addons which are expensive

lower data cap

no physical store, all support is online.

No Wi-fi calling or VoLTE

No visual voicemail; but voicemail can be setup to access inbox without entering your PIN every time

no mobile app

you always have to buy sims, even if they die due to no fault of yours

you have to prepay, and if you change your plan, you lose all previous credits

There's more, I'll add them as I can think of them

credits: http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/how-to/how-to-port-switch-public-mobile/

FYI, yes there are many issues with porting, but... 1) a lot of the portings also works well, and 2) more importantly, these issues are temporary and usually last less than a day, maybe two, and happen only once!

And as other are saying, if you are satisfied with FM call/network quality, your current plan is awesome 🙂

@Nsk143 wrote:
I will decide in next 2 days since I have a option to port till 30th.

I hope you have the sim card ready to activate. Receiving sim card takes 2-5 business days. 

Nsk143
I will decide in next 2 days since I have a option to port till 30th.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Are you happy with Freedom, have you had any issues?  reception or speed?   do you use all teh features?   if you are happy then I see no reason to.

if unhappy then PM is a viable option.   but oly you can decide

The other nice thing with PM is the rewards referal and loyalty and community. 

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

It all depends on what's important to you. Public Mobile is all about savings, but get the services on the premium network. If you move to PM, a lot will change from what you are currently getting. You will not have many of the goodies you are getting such as Canada-wide calling, more data and extra roaming. You should consider all this and weight the importance of each. The biggest one you should really consider is the coverage. If you have ZERO problem with FM's network coverage, i think you should keep it. On the other hand, you should join PM if you are tired of call drops or zero bar at random times. In this case, you will have to evaluate if those goodies are really important to you over the PM full LTE coverage. 

Nsk143
I am been with freedom since 2010
But currently I am asking LG g6 lte enable phone reception is not bad as before lte speed around 80 mbps and lots of improvement. Just not sure should I move or not according to this forum there s lots of issues with porting as well.

neatooo

It really depends on your usage. If you find that your experience in terms of reception and call quality is good enough for you, by all means, stay with FM. It was not working out for me at all, which why I moved.

If you travel a lot through FM away zones, you might want to consider PM, otherwise, I would probably stick to FM.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Nsk143, only you can answer that question.  Obviously you get a lot more for the money with Freedom.  If you are having a reasonble experience, is there really a reason to switch?

At the time I left Wind late last year, I was paying $25 per account for 5 gigs of data.  I went for this service that cost 50% more.  No regrets because Wind became totally unusable for me everywhere I went. 

Need Help? Let's chat.